What Did You Do Today???

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m not even going to try to introduce this. I know that I ran something about him before, but this is too good. It’s from David Goggins blog, just read it.

David Goggins at 290 13 years ago
&
Running the Badwater Ultra Marathon in 2006

-Enjoy Pain

A lot of people think that I have been running my whole life. The fact is that I hadn't even ran a marathon until November 2005. I came off of a deployment from Iraq and I heard that several SEAL/s had been killed in a combat situation. I wanted to do something to raise money for their families. Being a SEAL, I knew that selling hot dogs and having a bake sale wouldn't do it. So, I googled the 10 hardest events in the world and the Badwater 135 came up. I called the race director and explained the situation. He was somewhat amused that I had never even ran a marathon and wanted to attempt one of the hardest foot races in the world. After talking with him he made it very clear that this race wasn't to be taken lightly and that I would have to qualify in order to participate in the race. I had to qualify by running 100 miles in 24 hours. It just so happened that there was a race in San Diego the following weekend. It was a 24 hour race where your run straight for 24 hours around a 1 mile track. So, six days later my wife and I grabed a lawn chair, lunch box cooler, myoplex, and ritz crackers to take to the race. That's right... only those items. Also keep in mind that I weighed a lot at the time.

I took off running and felt good for about 70 miles. Then I stopped to take a break. That was the first problem.....I sat down in the lawn chair and my blood pressure went crazy due to poor nutrition. I sat there for about 10 minutes and I had to go to the bathroom really bad. When I attempted to stand, I quickly realized how bad of shape I was really in. I was so dizzy that I couldn't stand for a second. So, after retaking my seat in the chair I looked at my wife and told her that I had to go to the bathroom. She looked at me confused. So, I told her more clearly... "I'm going to take a s*** on myself in this chair."

And so I did...

I then saw the blood running down my leg when I urinated.

My wife being a nurse informed me that my kidney's were shutting down and that I needed to go to the hospital. I told her that I had 30 miles left.

She helped me up and we started walking around the track at a 35 minute mile pace. I asked her If I would complete the 100 miles in 24 hours at this pace and she said no. So, I did what I had to do and some how by the grace of God started running again. I completed 101 miles in just under 19 hours. I had broken all the small bones in my feet and my kidneys were failing. My wife drove the car onto the race course and put me into the back of the car. We live on the second floor of an apartment complex and we had to somehow get up the stairs. So, I draped my arms around her neck from behind and she had to practically drag me up the stairs. After she me in the shower and she saw that I was urinating dark dirt brown, she begged me once again to go to the hospital. I looked her in the eye and said....

Just let me enjoy this pain I'm in.

And I did. I enjoyed how hard I had just pushed myself and I wanted to feel every bit of that.

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
Wow! I hope he is okay, an update?

I dont think I could run 100 miles in 24 hours. But apparently, it is possible.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
He's fine, this took place before he ran and won the Badwater Ultra Marathon in 2006 (100 miles through Death Valley in the heat).

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
100 miles in 24 hours....that seem way too much man!