Fat Tuesday\Ash Wednesday

1. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.87%

Fat Tuesday\Ash Wednesday

Some one correct me if I am wrong or have misunderstood.

Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday is an event/specific day that occurs in Catholicism.

On Fat Tuesday, a catholic is able to do what ever he\she like. Could be get plastered\sin\do something unethical and be forgiven on the next day which is Ash Wednesday.

On Ash Wednesday, Catholics go get a blessing from the Priest and are forgiven.

The following day, Thurday, Catholics start a new begining along with giving up something for an entire year.

Is this somewhat correct? Just curious.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

it is somewhat correct. you do not give up something for an entire year. it is only from ash wednesday to easter...40 days. ash wednesday and fridays during lent you are not supposed to eat meat but i do not follow that because of my nutritional needs. it is a little known fact but on st. patricks day, a catholic can cheat, especially a roman catholic, from what they have given up. fat tuesday is basically ur last day to enjoy your one thing you are giving up. on ash wednesday a catholic can go to the church and get a blessing of the crucifix on their forehead in ashes which is from last years left over palm branches from palm sunday.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

A good reason why I don't like Catholicism, but not the only one.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.19%

yeah...we got alot of complicated rules.
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.87%

One thing I admire and agree with Catholicism is their discipline. Very dedicated individuals.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.19%

Quote Originally Posted by manny1010 View Post
    One thing I admire and agree with Catholicism is their discipline. Very dedicated individuals.
    let me let u in on a little secret. people may seem dedicated in public, but catholics are probably the biggest religious liars on earth. and this is coming from a catholic. people can seem to be pious and faithful in public..that is y i call them "public catholics". they only do it in public to get recognition and to be seen. a real catholic is someone who finds the faith on their own terms, which is what i do. it even says that in the bible. i forget what passage it is but it says something like "he who only worships in public is a fool. he who worships in private is the most faithful." is God going to love you less because you had a steak on friday during lent? not at all. it is a religion based upon fear. i hate to say it but...the most dedicated people to a religion..are muslims. and i hate saying that but it is true.
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    yeah...we got alot of complicated rules.
    It's just the fact that the Catholic church puts so much stock in their rules and traditions that they often seem to lose sight of the more important aspects of Christianity.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.43%

LENT - or, 'Giving up meat for 40 days' - dates from before refrigeration; any meat/fat/dairy foodstuffs on hand will go bad before Easter (40 days away). In lean/hard/poor-people times, this would be a hardship, to lose so much food...so rather than leave it to go bad, they would eat it all before the bell tolled midnight, announcing the beginning of Lent, so many people had the same impulse that the Catholic world experienced spontaneous eruptions of huge end-of-winter parties that lasted for days & took on an 'anything-goes' character. Fasching in Germany & Carnival in Brazil - with Mardi Gra - are the biggest/most famous examples.

Oh, the midnight thing? That's where the clearing of the French Quarter comes from: time for all you sinners to go home and act right!
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    It's just the fact that the Catholic church puts so much stock in their rules and traditions that they often seem to lose sight of the more important aspects of Christianity.
    this is very true. they forget the reason behind the faith and what it really stands for.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.34%

catholics actually have the same rules as most reg christians, just catholics have more sacriments. As far as priests and clergymen go the catholic church are more strict with there pastors and church heads. I am a catholic, but first I am a christian (believer of christ and the gospels) I dont agree with some cafeteria catholics that go out on fat tuesday and get banged up on booze and drugs, they give a bad name to the true christians of the catholic church and there values. As far as hipocracy goes within churches, you will see that in sooooo many churches and faiths. Whether its a protestant pastor buying a male hooker, a catholic priest touching a little boy, or a muslim blowing up a family on a bus somewhere in the middle east. Evil is everywhere. Sin is in everyone(except jesus), We all sin in our heads or in our actions, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddist etc...... everyone sins. If someone wants to give up meat for lent, then more power to them, it is a man made catholic practice, but to be honest we are all supposed to fast and i dont think it really matters what day or time of year it is, we should all fast for god. If we do sin its our duty as believers to reconize that sin and repent, and pray to god and if it helps then maybe go to a priest or pastor to help us rid the sin and move forward.

Similar Forum Threads

1. wednesday chest and triceps
    By Danielz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 02:20 PM
  2. WEC Live Wednesday
    By fbxdan in forum MMA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 03:24 PM
  3. Got mugged on Wednesday (Not a sob story)
    By Bionic in forum General Chat
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 12:23 AM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 08:43 PM