joined the "fool at gym" club

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ahhh...you have heard of the stories bout dudes at gym, dropping weights on their foot, dropping plates...etc. I unfortunately have to share that i did that too. Today, after my last set on squats, i racked it back up, and took off the weights on one side. I guess i had put back the side which i hadnt cleared the weights yet off balance or more likely, had put the collar part on the rack...so while clearing the first side....BAAMMM!! there goes 3-45's and a 2.5lb for good measurement crashing to the floor. (oops) so of course the entire gym looks over. I was like "oh well..." and just started clowing with the dudes around. I got away with being an idiot cuz i guess you can say Im respected there...know a lot of the dudes and milfs that workout there. So im part of the club now. Anyone else??!? (ha)

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Cleared on side of the bar doing shrugs. Was 405 on the bar. Took off all 4 plates on one side, other side went crashing down. Everybody looked, manager came running from upstairs. I just played it as if nothing happened.

DarCSA

Awards
I had a friend in high school have a problem like that. His was not funny though. He was doing dumbbell flys and had some other dumbbells lying next to his bench and when he released it his hand hit the other dumbbells with about 25 extra pounds in his hand. He broke a finger and lacerated it pretty well. He was fine after a little while but it sucked to be him for those few minutes.

Andy2k

Awards
Unbalanced bars certainly wake the gym up - the thing to do is just to shrug it off, and everyone just thinks goes back to what they were doing.

Worst things I've done in the gym:
Cracked a rib doing leg press. Well, it didn't actually crack, but became dislocated from the cartilage. I was doing a 45 degree leg press, brought the weights down, and felt something a bit weird in my abdomen, after a day or two it started to hurt, and I saw my GP. one of my floating ribs had become detached!

The same 45 degree leg press: I was loading some plates onto the machine, and was just putting a 20KG plate on - as normal, I got close to the weight in order to preserve correct form in lifting, - I had the weight held to my chest. As I placed it on the 'bar' the weight caught the skin on my chest between it and the bar, and ripped a small circle of flesh off - and it ruined my T shirt!

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
I had a friend in high school have a problem like that. His was not funny though. He was doing dumbbell flys and had some other dumbbells lying next to his bench and when he released it his hand hit the other dumbbells with about 25 extra pounds in his hand. He broke a finger and lacerated it pretty well. He was fine after a little while but it sucked to be him for those few minutes.
ouch...this same exact thing happened to one of my friends..only we were doing flat bench db presses...only time i ever saw him really squirm.

my gym got a new legs press several years ago so i decided to try it. I removed all the weights from one side, thinking the press machine was anchored to the floor, and it just kinda tumped over laying there like a drunk whale. I jus laughed at my own stupidity and pushed it up enough to shove weights off.

Dr of Golf

Awards

my gym got a new legs press several years ago so i decided to try it. I removed all the weights from one side, thinking the press machine was anchored to the floor, and it just kinda tumped over laying there like a drunk whale. I jus laughed at my own stupidity and pushed it up enough to shove weights off.

This one really made me laugh. The visualization was terrific. :D :D :D

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by msclbldrguy

Funny, a friend of mine did the same thing, had 14 plates on the damn thing, unloaded one side like it would hold up.. I had to help hold it up, so he could get the plates off the other end.. At least when I plan to legpress 1100, I make sure I get help unloading the plates when I'm done.. :D

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

Funny, a friend of mine did the same thing, had 14 plates on the damn thing, unloaded one side like it would hold up.. I had to help hold it up, so he could get the plates off the other end.. At least when I plan to legpress 1100, I make sure I get help unloading the plates when I'm done.. :D

ha.... i takes literally 8 minutes for a lifter at my gym over the summer to unload after sets of leg presses. He goes back and forth from one side to another, limping from the previous sets, unloading a plate or two at a time....cleaning all the 45's or 100's off until its bare. Not quite to the point where im in need of this (push 6 plates and some extra on one side...) but im giggling thinking about the dude....you should see the grimace he makes with his face, having to dodge little ladies passing by. I will help him out next time :)

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established

well, one thing it taught me was not to unload one side then the other. funny thing wuz the other day this hs kid was workin out and didnt put any clips on his bar doin bench press and weights slid off one sode then the other. then he put the weights back on without the clips again....go figure

dez/null

Awards
you fucked up plain and simple happens to the best of us.

use clips next time :)

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Bro you are not alone.

About a month ago I got done benching. I started stripping off the 490lbs not really paying attention to what I was doing.

Well I had a 25 lb plate outside of one of the 45lb plates, when all of a sudden I woke up and realized I am weak little bitch and can't bench 490. :)

whale

Awards
my stupidity...

it all started off with the ego.....  I was in golds in myrtle beach now this golds was the old style dungon type were pretty boys dont go.  I just got finished doing 4 plates a side in squats reracked the bar and started the hell ya i am strong strut.  well after i got my wind back i figured i would do blow outs with one plate a side so i took off the other three and set them down well when i looked up the bar was heading right towards my head thank god i had quick reflexxes and my head was spared. but man when it crashed to the ground after falling 5 or so feet i was trying to catch it dumn move but hey i wanted to save the ego well of corse i did not catch three plates but what i did catch was the other plate and end of the bar in the shin holy crap blood actually shot out of my shin as you know shin hits hurt like hell.  well after everyone at the gym giggled and grimaced at my shin i went on with the workout.  for the next 15 days i could not put on socks becase of the pain it created.  yes i am a dumn ass!!!

whale

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
Re: my stupidity...

it all started off with the ego.....  I was in golds in myrtle beach now this golds was the old style dungon type were pretty boys dont go.  I just got finished doing 4 plates a side in squats reracked the bar and started the hell ya i am strong strut.  well after i got my wind back i figured i would do blow outs with one plate a side so i took off the other three and set them down well when i looked up the bar was heading right towards my head thank god i had quick reflexxes and my head was spared. but man when it crashed to the ground after falling 5 or so feet i was trying to catch it dumn move but hey i wanted to save the ego well of corse i did not catch three plates but what i did catch was the other plate and end of the bar in the shin holy crap blood actually shot out of my shin as you know shin hits hurt like hell.  well after everyone at the gym giggled and grimaced at my shin i went on with the workout.  for the next 15 days i could not put on socks becase of the pain it created.  yes i am a dumn ass!!!

whale
ouch...well after readin this thread looks like it happens to all of us sooner or later. but i bet none of us ever do the same stupid thing again....

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Forgot I had not taken a quarter plate off after benching, went to take off the 45, with the quarter still on. Quarter ended up on my foot. I nearly passed out. Suprised nothing broken.:saw:

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Forgot I had not taken a quarter plate off after benching, went to take off the 45, with the quarter still on. Quarter ended up on my foot. I nearly passed out. Suprised nothing broken.:saw:
Did exactle the same, wound up with a big, black, flat big toe.

Dr of Golf

Awards
This is a great thread, sage.

I guess I'll add to this thread with my most embarrassing moment. :eek:

While stationed at Fort Benning, GA I went to World Gym to do my usual leg day. I had been somewhat sick that week, just starting to come down with the flu, and felt slightly off. Well, while using the 45 degree leg press machine, just as I started pushing the plates up, I **** myself. I mean, I had the runs big-time and I guess the straining I was doing for legs, also worked on my sphincter ani. :eek:

Damn, talk about embarrassing. Thank goodness I had on balloon pants that day and not shorts. I was able to make it back to the locker room without leaving a trail. :D :D

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ha ha...(yuck). why you got to post that for me to read it when im eating my cottage cheese with CHOC protein powder in it....but i guess **** happens.

Blindfaith

Awards
Originally posted by sage
ahhh...you have heard of the stories bout dudes at gym, dropping weights on their foot, dropping plates...etc. I unfortunately have to share that i did that too. Today, after my last set on squats, i racked it back up, and took off the weights on one side. I guess i had put back the side which i hadnt cleared the weights yet off balance or more likely, had put the collar part on the rack...so while clearing the first side....BAAMMM!! there goes 3-45's and a 2.5lb for good measurement crashing to the floor. (oops) so of course the entire gym looks over. I was like "oh well..." and just started clowing with the dudes around. I got away with being an idiot cuz i guess you can say Im respected there...know a lot of the dudes and milfs that workout there. So im part of the club now. Anyone else??!? (ha)

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!  I did the exact same thing at the gym yesterday....i too was on the squat rack and unloaded 3 45's and a 10 from the one side and the bar fliped up and the weights smashed everywhere! it was funny as hell....it was during peak hours so about 100 people pointed and laughed at my misfourtune! Oh well i gave something for people to talk about! heh.....thats so fucking weird man!

cheers

Andy2k

Awards
How about the 'fool on-line' club - here's my contribution:

Ordered 6-OXO from a German company. The site is entirely in German, but I thought I could do ok. I placed the order correctly, after checking that they shipped to the UK.
Today they emailed me, cancelling the order. They were curious as to why I would have ordered 5 bicycle handlebars!

dez/null

Awards
iv done it a couple of times on bench

but mainly due to my partner screwing up on his side.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
i did this too...only it wuz a 10 instead of a 25....

Blacksmith

Awards
About 15 years ago I was benching without a spotter somewhere around 275 lbs. I figured I could get that last rep. Well I hit the sticking point and realized that the bar was coming back down to rest on my chest. I yelled to the girl on the universal. Of course she had her back to me and had her walkman cranked up and couldn't here me yelling. Nobody else in the free weight room so I tilted the bar to one side and the weight slid off. Then the bar <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">catapulted</SPAN> to the other side.

She heard that . Everybody in the gym heard it. :D

Don't use collars when you bench alone, and make sure there are no walls nearby !

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

Don't use collars when you bench alone, and make sure there are no walls nearby !
yes, i have always done this. most gyms though creep on you and whoever is working, comes by and ask to put a collar on. i put it on, and as soon as they leave...its right back off. (ha) the first time this came into play was by accident, were i forgot to put the collars on. im glad i did...(same thing happen with me blacksmith) Im a fool cuz another time this happen (ya, twice now), i had to sit up with the weight rolling down my front side....left a pretty harsh red dasy right down my stomach.

Blacksmith

Awards
Originally posted by sage

same thing happen with me blacksmith) another time this happen (ya, twice now), i had to sit up with the weight rolling down my front side....left a pretty harsh red dasy right down my stomach.

Been there too.

I used to not ask for help. But now I just find a big guy and ask for a spot.

Usually I'll ask a couple of people so I don't become a pain-in-the-ass.

If the gym is empty, I use dumbells.

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Bump on the no collars. Growing up, I would bench by myself in the garage. Probably dumped about 10 times. It is really not that embarassing when no one is around.

Andy2k

Awards
Bump on the no collars. Growing up, I would bench by myself in the garage. Probably dumped about 10 times. It is really not that embarassing when no one is around.
We're all in the same boat there I think! You soon learn that collars can be a pain sometimes.
I cracked my coccyx after failing on a Bench Press at home, collars on, in a narrow room - had to put the bar on the chest and roll it down, unfortunately, my coccyx took the brunt of it.
Makes me cringe just remembering it.:eek:

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established

We're all in the same boat there I think! You soon learn that collars can be a pain sometimes.
I cracked my coccyx after failing on a Bench Press at home, collars on, in a narrow room - had to put the bar on the chest and roll it down, unfortunately, my coccyx took the brunt of it.
Makes me cringe just remembering it.:eek:
ouch! but still, i like usin collars and especially when trying for a personal best i always ask for a spotter...but if the gym's empty or if theres no one in there i'd trust, i change my w/o and use dumbells. its all good.

Nelson

My embarrassing moment

A few months ago I was still bulking.
I had put on a bit of weight.
It was leg day and I was in the squat rack doing my third set of squats.
I was lowering down into the hole for about my 5th rep, when I heard a tearing noise.
I thought, `**** my shorts have split & my fat ass is sticking out for the whole world to see`.
So I composed myself and went down for another.
Again there was a tearing noise.
At this stage I was trying like hell to stay focused on the squats.
I finished my last few reps.
Turned around and checked my rear end in the mirror.
It wasn`t my shorts, rather it was my boxer shorts which had ripped.
Anyway, although I was still a bit embarrassed, I felt like I was making some progress because my glutes were so big they had ripped the seams on my boxer shorts.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
This episode doesn't focus on me, so much as the assault on my olfactory sense. Posted in the Whats In Whats Out thread not too long ago about the amazing job this guys asspipe was doing at seeping everywhere during the course of his squat routine... well, the drama continues and today it was more of an issue because it was leg day. The seepy bastard was back, squeakin and 'thrrrrp'in' all over the place. People once again ran in disgust, and had I been able to get close enough to ask him what the hell his problem was, I would surely have done so... as it was I was just trying to focus on my damn workout. Good thing there wasn't an open flame around. Word of advice to aspiring lifters everywhere... if you're going to start lifting and taking in protein powder, see how your body adjusts to it before you ruin a gym's business with your exploding butthole.

baham99

Awards
culmination of retardation

I've been rolling at what everyone wrote...but check this out.... mine has to be stupidest of all. I've sandwiched my hand while dropping a dumbell on a dumbell, had to roll up under a bar, but this one takes the cake. Saw a fly on a laminated poster on the wall. Decided I was bored between sets, so I'd kill it. Too chicken to use my hand, I took a 5 lb dumbell, and smashed it against the glossy poster. Turns out, it was glass, not plastic, and the entire thing spiderwebbed into a large crack. The people at the desk asked me if I was alright, and told me to sign a waiver saying I don't need medical help. When someone revealed the fact I used a weight, not my fist, it was an embarrasing moment, especially after I went along with the whole "it's okay, don't worry about it, i forgive you guys for having a glass frame in the gym" dialogue.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Re: culmination of retardation

I've been rolling at what everyone wrote...but check this out.... mine has to be stupidest of all. I've sandwiched my hand while dropping a dumbell on a dumbell, had to roll up under a bar, but this one takes the cake. Saw a fly on a laminated poster on the wall. Decided I was bored between sets, so I'd kill it. Too chicken to use my hand, I took a 5 lb dumbell, and smashed it against the glossy poster. Turns out, it was glass, not plastic, and the entire thing spiderwebbed into a large crack. The people at the desk asked me if I was alright, and told me to sign a waiver saying I don't need medical help. When someone revealed the fact I used a weight, not my fist, it was an embarrasing moment, especially after I went along with the whole "it's okay, don't worry about it, i forgive you guys for having a glass frame in the gym" dialogue.
NICE! I dropped a 10lb plate directly on my foot yesterday(it was hidden over a 45lb plate) I think I did some actual damage this time.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
ouch man... on toes or further up on bridge area? that's a bitch... at least it was a 10