Anyone here at AM attending Bonnaroo this year?

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I just purchased my tickets online, going w/ a friend. This will be my first "Roo" experience. I'm no doubt stoked about it, and NO KANYE WEST this year f*cking everything up!!

Anyone gone before? Or going this year? I'm definetely interested in hearing any tips or suggestions....or just some crazy ass stories.

By the way...no...I'm not a hippie lol Just a lover of music

:grouphug: :439: :240:

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I went 04,05,06,07. It's a great time, I might go back this year. I refused to go see kanye/metallica, thats just not my scene.

How are you planning on getting there? Driving? Theres a couple back ways in, if your interested I can try and find my map, in 05 we went with a 14 person convoy of people, following some locals from tennesee,they got us in real quick. The first year we drove from chicago and we sat in traffic for 13hours.

For 06,07 I flew into Nashville, my buddy met me from knoxville, and we took the shuttle bus, thats the best way to go. It drops you up by camping only, so that your right by the main entrance. Each year vip pushes us farther and farther away, but it still beats driving in and praying for a close spot. Some people who parked in fat bastard told me they had too walk 45mn to make it to centeroo, where all the shows are.

If you have any specific Q's feel free too ask, if its about anything "extracurricular" PM me.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I went 04,05,06,07. It's a great time, I might go back this year. I refused to go see kanye/metallica, thats just not my scene.

How are you planning on getting there? Driving? Theres a couple back ways in, if your interested I can try and find my map, in 05 we went with a 14 person convoy of people, following some locals from tennesee,they got us in real quick. The first year we drove from chicago and we sat in traffic for 13hours.

For 06,07 I flew into Nashville, my buddy met me from knoxville, and we took the shuttle bus, thats the best way to go. It drops you up by camping only, so that your right by the main entrance. Each year vip pushes us farther and farther away, but it still beats driving in and praying for a close spot. Some people who parked in fat bastard told me they had too walk 45mn to make it to centeroo, where all the shows are.

If you have any specific Q's feel free too ask, if its about anything "extracurricular" PM me.
Thats awesome man, but all of the stuff you did to get there sounds a little involved for my first time. I know that I'd get lost or fug something up lol. What time do the gates open to let people in to camp? I'd like to get there at an optimal time to find a decent spot and not wait in line for 13 HOURS (WHICH IS INSANE!!...you're a better man that I am cuz, I'd be FLIPPING). I'll be leaving Pittsburgh at about 6 (7 at the latest) on Wednesday and arriving in Tennessee in the AM. I'd imagine sometime around 6 to 8 in the morning.

I'm going w/ only 1 other person, but that'll still be an awesome time. Although I had absolutely no want to see Kanye, I definetely would of loved to see Metallica, they are one of my favorites. People were complaining that last year was really "mainstream", which is certainly not the story this year. I still would of liked to see Jack Johnson, The Allman Brothers, Pearl Jam, My Morning Jacket (none of which are billed AS OF NOW).

I really can't wait, I've been trying to go for the past 3 years and just couldn't pull it together. It's tooo long of a wait now that I have my tickets bro lol.

Got any good stories? Any strange observations?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
They open 12am thurs, as far as I remember. Its basically turned into a 4 day event. Getting in is honestly a crap shoot man, thats why we started doing the shuttle. But what you can do is walk from where ever they put your car, down to the camping only. I would definitly do that. The only thing is that if it floods again, you could be sleeping in a foot of water. We lucked out, but there were tents 10-20ft away from us under water.

I went in 06/07 with just my one good friend, we met some girls both times and hung out with them pretty much the whole time. Thurs is the best day to scout everything out, get the lay of the land. Because from then on its a madhouse.

My neighbors have always been really cool, its good to get to know them, your pretty much living on top of each other for 4 days. And like i said they might be some girls that you can plan to go to shows with.

Pack light thats the best advice I can give you. Bring non-perishable good like cheese crackers, PB/jelly, bread, trail mix. We've learned that no one has the energy for bacon and egss when it 90 degrees out at 11am.

Each bring a gallon jug of water, you'll drink at least one every day, and theres free water stations to fill them back up. Bring toilet paper, dont assume there will be any in the porta-potties.

If i think of anyother good adive i'll be sure to come back, I'll keep this subbd.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Stories?

Well that year that we went with 14people, it was 6am when we left and 2 different dudes were already drunk puking out their windows. And over the course of the 4days 5 of them ended up in the emergency tent, they were all fine. But when they find you passed out on the side of the road they will check you out.

I've seen groups of girls 4-5 deep only wearing paint. There was a naked slip and slide in 06. People having sex in the woods, in the tent next to you, on top of their RV, next to their RV, next to your tent, in the middle of a concert, I think you get the idea.

Tripping balls walking around the whole place, its on 700acres so on nights after the shows its fun to just explore, but remember where you camped. Theres alot of art work all around, big sculptures, jungle gym type things where they have you add a piece of cloth. There's shakedown street also, where the shops are at.

But my most important memories have been the amazing shows. In the main stage, it can hold everyone in attendance. We were there in 04 when there was 100,000 people and everyone was at the main stage for the dead, just vibing with each other, its something man, I'll tell you what.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
man...I think I should of waited a little longer to start this thread. This is 4 years of anticipation building up. The time will come!

I definetely hear you on packing light. I was probably going to take a few coolers 1 for ice, 1 for beer, 1 for water, and 1 for food. If I can take as much of what I'll need as possible I should be able to save a few bucks for...other things.

I'm going to try and find some more info on when the lots open and what not, if they really do open at 12am then I might take an extra day off work and leave early wednesday instead of later wednesday evening.

What did you do as far as showering? I've been getting that most people don't.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
They have this $1 garlic grilled cheese guy, make sure to find him, they're great, so I usually just bring snacks for the day, and buy 1-2 meals at night. Especially if your from pittsburgh, dont underestimate the heat. It is hot. Like I was saying it can be 100+ degrees during the day. And your in the sun so its even hotter. You wont be able to sleep past sun up, once that sun hits your tent, its over. So what ever you think you'll use, honestly you probably wont. But each year is a learning experience, and it just gets better and better.

It you can get one of these type things http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10172682 I highly recomend it. Just bring 2 small tents, and a couple tarps. Then you can set up a compound with your tents on either side, with a place in the middle under the shade to takes naps and/or hang out when your waiting for shows to start.

And no I didnt shower, but they have public shower areas, and theres a real shower setup by some shampoo company that cost $5, but you'll just get dirty again so i would just wash my face from time to time. If it doesnt rain its get real dusty so you might want to bring a bandana, you can use it to cover you mouth if it gets real bad.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
June in Pittsburgh won't be very warm yet, so I'm sure the heat will definetely be a shock lol. I will definetely be purchasing one of those canopies. How much room do you have to setup your camp? The bonnaroo website says the width of your car + 10 feet behind your car. I'm hearing from people that the rule is more or less bullshit, that you sort of claim your spot as soon as you get there.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Its basically if you put your tent down first, thats where your tent goes. This is what we had the first year, Coleman® Family Dome® Tent - 14' x 14'
3 Rooms, Sleeps 8, it was huge. And unbearably hot, with no shade.

Attachments