What is your opinion

BoSox36

BoSox36

Awards
  • Established
Im having a discussion with someone about colleges and what not. His opinion is that he will get a better job, get more pay and blah, blah, blah because he went to a better college. That jobs look at a resume and will hire you because you went to a better college...thoughts?

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
It depends on how you define a "better college". If you went to an Ivy League school such as Yale or Harvard, yes, it makes a HUGE difference. If you went to a recognized local school (recognized in that region of your state or perhaps the entire state) if will only have a local-regional impact on employers. So it depends on where you want to work. If you went to a great school in, for example, Maine (its recognition is high only in Maine) and you want to get a job in Cali, then your school is useless, UNLESS the hiring manager or HR is from Maine. ;)

BoSox36

BoSox36

Awards
  • Established
Nah not yale or harvard, because if you goto those schools you become doctors or lawyers or something

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Nah not yale or harvard, because if you goto those schools you become doctors or lawyers or something
Absolutely not. They have undergraduate and graduate programs. Not everyone coming out of Harvard has a PhD or MD. Many have bachelor and master degrees. Some go into teaching, others into medicine. Very similar to "regular" colleges/universities.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I have found Ivy league graduates making pun money, and community college graduates becoming millionaires.

It all really depends on what you have inside your head. Sometimes who you know. Add in a dash of luck, or prayer. Think of the lady who wrote harry potter. She just beat out half the people who went to an ivy league school, by using her creativity.

Let him have his big talk, and besides. If you base your life on the pursuit of money, you end up a poor man in the end. You might have a million bucks, but you lose so much... Money does bad things to a man.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
It depends, but there is still an effect. I know tons of people who are successful without a college education but it takes a lot of work and dedication.

I guess it also depends on the education. A law degree or medical degree from a good school will make a difference for sure. I am going through for engineering and I know that even though schools make a difference, a lot of companies hire based on interviews and internships and take your personality into account for a large portion.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
Just get a degree. Personally, I don't think it matters where. I got a degree from a small private school (like 400 per class). I have worked for two top pharma companies now. It is what upstairs.

Degree just proves you can apply what you learned in a book or from a teacher and get average or better grades (in most instances). Most places require a degree, but then they sort out the smart from the dumb during the interview....at least they are supposed to.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
And not for nothing, I see a lot of doctors and veterinarians with their diplomas in their offices....and they are from oversea schools............

Etomic

Awards
  • Established
I think what you do at your school will make a much bigger impact. GPA and extracurriculars will show what you can do better than what school someone's parents can afford to send them to.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Based on my life experience, I would recommend finishing a four-year degree at the very least.

The field I work in now is one where 99.99% of everyone has a Bachelor's degree or better, and ten or more years of military service, and previous job-related experience. If you apply for a job online, the computer will not even process your initial application if you do not have a four-year degree and at least some military service. Ten years ago if you had told me what I would be doing in 2009, I would have laughed at the idea.

If I had not done everything I did in life, I would not be where I am today, and as far as I am concerned I am on top of the world with a dream job, dream home, and very secure finances.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
College, and school in general, is what you make of it. If you are ambitious enough, then the sky is the limit IMHO. No matter what school you go to.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ofcourse theres examples of high school drop outs making millions.And broke people with masters degrees. Thats besides the point though, the fact is the higher the education the more likely you are to make more money.

As far as schools are concerned yes it can make a difference which school you went to, depends on the guy hiring you.

All other things being equal (luck, prayer power, self esteem, yadda yadda), the guy with more and better education will win.

dbsb

dbsb

Awards
USC will look better then Pheonix online. But honestly once you have the paper, experience looks better then everything.