desert eagle or .308 AR

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
I am a fan of fun guns and kind of a collector I would really like to perches both the desert eagle probably in .44 magnum and a .308 AR platform gun. With this new ban that is trying to be passed I am a little worried about soon no longer being able to get them. So I am looking to perches one of the two asap but I just cant decide. So im just looking for a little help thanks:numbered::run:

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
i would go with the 308 AR!

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
So that’s 2 for the .308 wow that was quick responses. I know that the desert eagle is really not that practical im just intrigued by the idea of how it works and the clips it is just a one of a kind kind of thing I know of another like it but I cant find any I think it was a conan or something like that

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
yea I'd go for the AR, i'd mod the sh^t out of it too just for fun. Sidearm choice i'd probably go for the HK USP, or Glock.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
AR - I just picked up a DPMS 5.56 AP4 - mostly for the cheaper ammunition than the 7.62

I am not considering getting either A.) the DPMS LR .308 w/ 24" BBL B.) Remington 700 in .338 Lapua Mag w/ AICS chassis, or C.) Bushmaster AR-10 type in .50 BMG

Any if your worried about anything right now, I would buy up a couple thousand rounds of ammunition ASAP, the assault rifle ban is speculation based on Obama's prior stands on gun control, the 500% tax increase on ammo, is a more real threat and assuming the times comes were that law is close to passing, ammo why dry up real fast and prices will rocket!

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
desert eagles are pieces of ****.
X2.... Dont ever waste your money on one of these. The .308 AR is awesome, much better than the .223.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Desert Eagles are awesome :D

[nomedia="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s376ZbPG-OM"]YouTube - BulletTooth Tony (SNATCH)[/nomedia]

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
AR - I just picked up a DPMS 5.56 AP4 - mostly for the cheaper ammunition than the 7.62

I am not considering getting either A.) the DPMS LR .308 w/ 24" BBL B.) Remington 700 in .338 Lapua Mag w/ AICS chassis, or C.) Bushmaster AR-10 type in .50 BMG

Any if your worried about anything right now, I would buy up a couple thousand rounds of ammunition ASAP, the assault rifle ban is speculation based on Obama's prior stands on gun control, the 500% tax increase on ammo, is a more real threat and assuming the times comes were that law is close to passing, ammo why dry up real fast and prices will rocket!
I have a DPMS 5.56 AP4. I just got back from shooting it, it is a really fun gun. I also kicked around purchasing a bolt action 50 bmg upper for it but when I see how much the 50 bmg uppers cost I could get a really nice .308 AR for the same price with two 20 rd clips I have already stock piled a lot of ammo but that is really good advice :thumbsup:

ffmedic32

ffmedic32

Awards
Get two 308's then take me shooting....I vote for the AR, too bad their price has went thru the roof last i looked like 1900 bucks

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Unless your the one paying for the rounds to put through it!
Yea, but considering the stopping ability of the .308 (7.62) compared to the .223, I'd rather target shoot less and have the knockdown power instead. We're hitting insurgents with 2-4 rounds before they go down with the .223/5.56 Nato.

As far as the DE goes, you might as well throw it at the badguy as much those things jam up. Great for the movies, not in reality.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
with the 308 you cant go wrong with DPMS or Les Baer...I am wanting to slide partially to the 6.8 SPC and do my own loads on anything that I own cuz i find it to be a scoche more cost efficient.... back to your concern...lets face it: a batch of hand packed and crimped 168 gr Sierra Matchkings with about 54 grains of Hogdon BLC(2) powder will make fabulous MOA groups at about 300 meters :)

LG

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
thanks everyone i am going to go with the .308 AR

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
I've shot both (.50 cal DE though) I would say go with the DE. Love that gun

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I have a Mark VII Magnum Research Desert Eagle in the .44mag/.41 version and all it is is a fun gun. I wouldn't trust that gun with my life. The clip cannot under any circumstances be touched while in use, as it causes misfeeds and jams. And, I can't shoot anything through it but fully jacketed bull nose ammunition. Everything else shaves the ramp and jams.

Fun level is 10. Usefulness is about a 0.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
In addendum I"m really really thinking of getting my Type 07 permit. Found some really good suppliers of AR lower aluminum forgings.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I'd get a bushmaster M-16 pistol.

Google it!!

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
Thanks everyone for your input I am still a little unsure what gun to get I am just looking for something fun that everyone doesn’t have. For handguns I have a m&p 40c and a Springfield xd 9 & 45. For rifles I have a 10/22 an AR-15 in 5.56/223 16in and an SKS. I will probably try and get something by the end of February so anymore ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I'd get a bushmaster M-16 pistol.

Google it!!
I love those things. What I can't figure out is the US's stupid gun laws. You CANNOT posses a short barreled rifle without a permit. The barrel has to be 16" long.
You also cannot (at least it used to be illegal) to have a folding buttstock.

Tell me, that pistol is basically a short barreled rifle without a buttstock correct?

I'm just wondering how it gets registered with the ATF as a pistol when its made out of rifle parts and shoots a rifle round.

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
Well I know the laws are dumb and I don’t know why the laws are the way they are but I know if you put a butt stock on the pistol it would become illegal even though you can kind of use the buffer tub to help aim your shot like you would use the collapsed stock who knows the ATF is gay

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
are you looking into an ar-10 or a m-14? Desert eagles are just ignorant. Dont get me wrong, they're huge hand cannons but they are too big to carry/conceal and are a bit overkill. imho

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
are you looking into an ar-10 or a m-14? Desert eagles are just ignorant. Dont get me wrong, they're huge hand cannons but they are too big to carry/conceal and are a bit overkill. imho
Not to mention they're heavy and have horrible balance. People buy them just so they can say "I have a Desert Eagle", but they dont realize they bought a $1200 piece of steel that is unreliable and not practical.