Who here likes egg nog?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I mean the real stuff. I prefer mine with a little extra cinnamon.

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
I love egg nog. Growing up my mom would give it to me with a little sprite mixed in so that it bubbled up, Brits do that sort of thing. Mmmmm delicious. Now that I'm older I prefer it straight with a dusting of nutmeg. :) It's like velvet crack.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Egg nog just gives me another reason to break out the rum and get my party on.

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
I use a nice scotch or if I'm feeling particularily lush... my fav.. bourbon. mmmmMMMM!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't tried it that way. I do have some Crown Royal in the cabinet...

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
Crown Royal is a Canadian Whisky. Those tend to be more sugary and syrupy therefore adding to the texture of the eggnog which depending on your personal tastes may not be something pleasant. I like the bourbon because it usually carries some pleasant vanilla, oak, and smoke overtones that lend well to the taste notes in eggnog. (I'm a bartender-- sorry to get all fancy.)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just love Crown and haven't tried it in this form. I could go to some Jack or Johnnie Walker, but I am a big fan of Crown.

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
Dude, by all means try it. It's all about what makes you happy and tastes yummy.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
drinking some now with some rum while wrapping some santa presents!

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
For Rum, I like a niced dark rum like Meyers. For Bourbon I like Bulleit (100 proof) or Knob Creek (100 proof- great flavors). for rye I like Old Overholt. Don't forget your cordials, a little Grand Marnier can add a wonderful sensuality to the aroma, texture and taste of your egg nog as well. Or for a really fesitve touch substitute the egg nog for Baileys in the shot part of a carbomb and have a fun time. :)

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I just had to look up on wikipedia what was in Egg Nog. Damn my Scottish soul!

Merry Christmas! :)

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a big fan of eggnog. I will drink it but I don't prefer it.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
For Rum, I like a niced dark rum like Meyers. For Bourbon I like Bulleit (100 proof) or Knob Creek (100 proof- great flavors). for rye I like Old Overholt.
I drank rum in eggnog for quite a few years, and was always dissatisfied - just never liked it much; then in the absence of rum used Bourbon. Totally different experience IMO - and definitely preferable!

And Knob Creek is it: small-batch US Bourbon whisky...mmmmm!

Will have to try Bulleit - what's the scoop on rye?

Eggnog's great stuff - I like to make it from scratch (weird that way)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I scooped up some Knob today and am drinking it right now. Good stuff.

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
I'm glad to see some fellow Knob Creek fans! Make sure you check out the rest of their line. Starts with Basill Haydens, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Bookers, then Bakers. Bookers and Bakers are overproof but yummy! I won't tell you how high but I definetly recommend sipping them and not doing shots or mixing them.
Rye is good old fashioned whiskey made from 50% rye mash and aged in usually charred oak. Try it!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty certain Woodford Reserve is not part of the same family, but an excellent drop nonetheless! And as you rightly point out, "The Booker Family (Knob Creek, Baker's, Bookers) are all quite amazing. Small-batch bourbons have become my drink of choice (though I have a 25-year-old Aberlour I save for *very* special occasions - like toasting my daughter's wedding, if she ever has one).

Can't remember (!) if I've tried Basil Hayden: must mean it's time to buy a bottle for NYE...

A woman who appreciates fine whisky: you are a treasure!

FincaChick

FincaChick

Awards
You are correct! I was told by one of my reps that they were in the Jim Beam small batch family and it turns out that I should have done my research! Woodford is in the Jack Daniels small batch family. Thanks for pointing that out, but they are all still quite good!