FLEX Magazine...

  1. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1503
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    FLEX Magazine...


    So over the last week or so a lot has been said about MT and it's ridiculous amount of advertisements that would make some consumers' monthly subscriptions a little lighter to carry to their couches. The other day I took the time to actually count the amount of pages dedicated MT in the latest issue of FLEX Magazine...

    These numbers aren't exact, but I know the MT # for a fact. Keep in mind I included all of their sister companies as well...

    LG - 5 pages total (The "Don't be a *****" one was priceless!)

    USP - 5-6 pages

    AI - Only recall 2 pages, there could have been more, but HANK WAS IN ONE OF THE ADS!!!

    MT - 65 pages!!! Including sister companies. WTF!!!

  2. Senior Member
    Manimalia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,473
    Rep Power
    818
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    93.95%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Hahahaha. Well, they ARE the best.
  3. Senior Member
    papapumpsd's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    1073
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    13.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    So over the last week or so a lot has been said about MT and it's ridiculous amount of advertisements that would make some consumers' monthly subscriptions a little lighter to carry to their couches. The other day I took the time to actually count the amount of pages dedicated MT in the latest issue of FLEX Magazine...

    These numbers aren't exact, but I know the MT # for a fact. Keep in mind I included all of their sister companies as well...

    LG - 5 pages total (The "Don't be a *****" one was priceless!)

    USP - 5-6 pages

    AI - Only recall 2 pages, there could have been more, but HANK WAS IN ONE OF THE ADS!!!

    MT - 65 pages!!! Including sister companies. WTF!!!
    Very interesting. Thanks for tallying.

    That is just ridiculous. I don't ever buy those magazines. Too much advertising CRAP jammed in there and the weightlifting articles were junk.
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    raginfcktard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978
    Rep Power
    569
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    85.52%

    tell LG and USP to spend 10X as much for ad space
  5. PES Rep
    Delta Force's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,791
    Rep Power
    237109
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    84.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    Hahahaha. Well, they ARE the best.
    indeed... MT is the best when it comes to marketing, they are a marketing machine.
  6. Professional Member
    Hank Vangut's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,734
    Rep Power
    1978
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    30.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    So over the last week or so a lot has been said about MT and it's ridiculous amount of advertisements that would make some consumers' monthly subscriptions a little lighter to carry to their couches. The other day I took the time to actually count the amount of pages dedicated MT in the latest issue of FLEX Magazine...

    These numbers aren't exact, but I know the MT # for a fact. Keep in mind I included all of their sister companies as well...

    LG - 5 pages total (The "Don't be a *****" one was priceless!)

    USP - 5-6 pages

    AI - Only recall 2 pages, there could have been more, but HANK WAS IN ONE OF THE ADS!!!

    MT - 65 pages!!! Including sister companies. WTF!!!
    i haven't checked, but it's AX that is using my photo for their ads in all the mags they advertise in.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1503
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    i haven't checked, but it's AX that is using my photo for their ads in all the mags they advertise in.
    Yeah that's right. I was like... "Hey that guy is on AM!" HAHA. The thing that LG and USP have on MT is quality. The funny thing I heard though, is that MT also owns a bunch of pharmacy grade OTC drugs/brands as well which include, Sleep MD, Cold MD, and a bunch of those random drugs at wal-m*rt etc... They are speculated to own so much that you have probably bought an MT product and didn't even know it.
  8. Senior Member
    holyintellect's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  295 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,224
    Rep Power
    697
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    56.62%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    It comes in cycles...right now its Muscle Tech...before that it was Met Rx...before that it was EAS....there will always be a supplement company that is overhyped...the consumer demands it...

    holy
  9. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I actually did a paper on this for an advertising class and found Muscular Development to be the most advertised in with something like 70% of the magazine being advertisements.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  10. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Dwight Schrute's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,911
    Rep Power
    7019

    Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    tell LG and USP to spend 10X as much for ad space here
    Fixed
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  11. Advanced Member
    bigpoppapump2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    563
    Rep Power
    366
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    86.11%

    Quote Originally Posted by papapumpsd View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for tallying.

    That is just ridiculous. I don't ever buy those magazines. Too much advertising CRAP jammed in there and the weightlifting articles were junk.
    Agreed. I'm not gonna buy a magazine that's filled with ads and those ads being mostly MT.
  12. Advanced Member
    planetfuzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    888
    Rep Power
    534
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    53.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by papapumpsd View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for tallying.

    That is just ridiculous. I don't ever buy those magazines. Too much advertising CRAP jammed in there and the weightlifting articles were junk.
    I picked up a copy of Muscular Development the other day and thought the same thing. I had to search for the actual articles among the slew of ads. Annoying. Is there a decent magazine out there?
  13. Senior Member
    lonewolf0420's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,314
    Rep Power
    1682
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    65.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    I picked up a copy of Muscular Development the other day and thought the same thing. I had to search for the actual articles among the slew of ads. Annoying. Is there a decent magazine out there?
    Has anyone else noticed that MD also reprints the same articles? I've also found two of the same articles in separate sections of the same issue.
  14. New Member
    DEADn's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    149
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    91.43%

    Well go a step further and count how many pages of pure advertisements there are in Flex vs any articles in there. I used to have a subt o Flex but I soon found the articles to be getting contradictory and every year coming up with the latest fad. I soon found myself only cutting out ads like Universal Nutrition and use them to hang up on the wall just for inspiration purposes. I use convesations on the internet now for my learning in part. I find it hard to go through any magazines anymore.
  15. PES Rep
    Delta Force's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,791
    Rep Power
    237109
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    84.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I actually did a paper on this for an advertising class and found Muscular Development to be the most advertised in with something like 70% of the magazine being advertisements.
    that explains why their magazine is over 500 pages!
  16. PES Rep
    Delta Force's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,791
    Rep Power
    237109
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    84.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    i just picked up a copy of MD in the march edition and i find this magazine to be really good, i really like reading about all the braking news on supplements they print, but the magazine does get blurry between real articles and ads.
    I wouldn't mind subscribing to it but at $50 for annual subscription is too much.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Supplement Magazine Ads
    By Royd The Noyd in forum Supplements
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
  2. md magazine
    By mooch2321 in forum Pro Bodybuilding
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 02:34 AM
  3. revodrew's own magazine
    By Beelzebub in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 03:24 PM
  4. best magazine?
    By ps24eva in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in