Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Keep it

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
OK, so I recently upgraded to a new phone by basically talking to a verizon rep and saying that the XV6700 I was going to return (for a 3rd time because it had a broken headphone jack) was not cutting it anymore. I was tired of returning the phone for a new one every few months. I spend enough money with verizon that they should do me a favor and upgrade me to a satisfactory phone. The rep agreed (mainly when I told him sprint had the same phone and I would cancel my contract) and mailed me a new phone since they didn't have any 6800's in stock. I was going to get it via fedex and mail my old phone back to them so I wasn't without a phone.

I received it in a few days, and I flashed it and programmed it, everything was dandy except they never told me WHERE to mail my 6700 to for the exchange. I bugged a rep and it turns out that although they have me on the new phone in the system, there is not a note anywhere that I need to return my 6700. The only reason I thought so was because the rep who mailed out my phone told me so.

So basically I have this phone sitting around. Not connected to verizon, and *technically* it doesn't need to be returned. It's a windows mobile phone, so I can still play SNES games, watch movies, and listen to music on it without the phone functionality. I can keep it and basically have the equivalent of a gameboy/ipod.

Although my conscience is telling me to return it anyways.

What would you do? Return it or keep it?

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you return that phone I will find out where you live and punch you in your f**king face.

Verizon doesn't give a sh*t about one phone under $1,000, they mark up phones and services to make millions/year, you think they give a sh*t about you keeping your stupid phone?

Think of it as nice gift for all the hassle they put you through. :)

dpfisher

Nah I wouldn't worry about it. You aren't hurting them and it's not like you're out there TRYING to scam them, you just got some free stuff so be happy about it. Hang onto it for at least a month though so you know they won't try to charge you for it.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Omen, you crack me up! But yeah,CR. They're not pressing you to return it, so don't waste another second thinking about it.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Nah I wouldn't worry about it. You aren't hurting them and it's not like you're out there TRYING to scam them, you just got some free stuff so be happy about it. Hang onto it for at least a month though so you know they won't try to charge you for it.
The rep said he would charge my account 400 for the cost of the phone if I didn't return it.

There has been no charge and it's been almost 2 weeks.

I was pretty much going to keep it but wanted someone else to say it (I am a sucker for peer pressure :thumbsup:)

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
If you return that phone I will find out where you live and punch you in your f**king face.

Verizon doesn't give a sh*t about one phone under $1,000, they mark up phones and services to make millions/year, you think they give a sh*t about you keeping your stupid phone?

Think of it as nice gift for all the hassle they put you through. :)
your too much omen.HAHAHAHAHAHHA!..YOUR THE FUNNIEST BY FAR..hahhahahahahaha!...thats why i love you bro!..you never know what omen is going to say next!:think::lol::thumbsup:

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
If he said he said you would be charged then just call cust service and ask them if you have to send your broken phone in. Just do what they say, record the call, because if they tell you you don't have to send it in and they charge you, then you have your ass covered.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
If he said he said you would be charged then just call cust service and ask them if you have to send your broken phone in. Just do what they say, record the call, because if they tell you you don't have to send it in and they charge you, then you have your ass covered.
Do it by e-mail so you also have a record to present should a problem arise!

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't remind them, maybe it's not "on" the system but if you remind them it will be.

If you find the charge on your next bill or 2, return the phone.

If not, keep it or sell it.

You know all those rebates people that people don't mail in? all the store credit you have but expires because no one "reminded" you of it?

That pays for your phone.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Keep it. They're not going to do anything with it but throw it out or hack it up for parts, if they do that at all. What I'm saying is, is that YOU are getting something useful from it still. They won't do anything with it. Keep it. Not being wasteful is a virtue. Be a virtuous man.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I think the main point is being missed. It does not matter how money the phone compay makes or how many times they might have screwed us, the thing to consider is conscience, and integrity. Yes he might get over, and end up with a free phone. But is losing your soul or your integrity worth the cost of the phone. I know some of you might consider me some sort of wuss or something negative, but that is fine. I am not perfect, but I believe in always having a clear conscience. Ultimately OP, regardless of what anyone says on here or else where, YOU are the one that has to live with the decision you make, so make one that YOU can live with.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/general-chat/110877-character-man.html

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i'd return it. if a company gave me something IN GOOD FAITH, it is my obligation to return the old product.

of course, i give back the extra money that retail clerks give me too, so maybe to me its less of a dilemma.

dpfisher

i'd return it. if a company gave me something IN GOOD FAITH, it is my obligation to return the old product.

of course, i give back the extra money that retail clerks give me too, so maybe to me its less of a dilemma.
Big difference there. The clerk may lose their job if the drawer comes up short, in this case he called and tried to return it and they said he didn't have to. He's done his due diligence, both in legal terms and in my opinion. What does the company want with a broken phone anyway? It's not like a computer where there's a bunch of parts that can be separated and reused, everything's soldered together. They probably just tag it and throw it away.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Big difference there. The clerk may lose their job if the drawer comes up short, in this case he called and tried to return it and they said he didn't have to. He's done his due diligence, both in legal terms and in my opinion. What does the company want with a broken phone anyway? It's not like a computer where there's a bunch of parts that can be separated and reused, everything's soldered together. They probably just tag it and throw it away.
true. i would still return it on principle though. or call the guy i spoke to and ask him if i could "just keep it".

there was no mention of them saying to keep it, unless i'm reading the OP wrong.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think the main point is being missed. It does not matter how money the phone compay makes or how many times they might have screwed us, the thing to consider is conscience, and integrity. Yes he might get over, and end up with a free phone. But is losing your soul or your integrity worth the cost of the phone. I know some of you might consider me some sort of wuss or something negative, but that is fine. I am not perfect, but I believe in always having a clear conscience. Ultimately OP, regardless of what anyone says on here or else where, YOU are the one that has to live with the decision you make, so make one that YOU can live with.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/general-chat/110877-character-man.html
A wise man once said, "Don't consider those who don't consider you"

I'd only return the phone if I knew 100% without doubt that they would refund me money/remind me of my rebate/offer just like I would be "reminding them" about the "free phone".

If it's not guaranteed, then it's human nature, they'll do what benefits them most, I advise you do the same thing.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Keep it :)