Do rep responses annoy anyone else?

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I get so tired of a string of rep responses pimping their particular product in every thread that asks about user opinions. The sad thing is, the OP is often a newbie who doesn't know about reps, and trusts the responses to be non biased.

It annoyed me enough to take a few months break recently, and its getting under my skin again :frustrate

of course reps have a right to an opinion as well, but is there any way to fix this. Make it more obvious who is repping what?

Or am I the only one that cares?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I get so tired of a string of rep responses pimping their particular product in every thread that asks about user opinions. The sad thing is, the OP is often a newbie who doesn't know about reps, and trusts the responses to be non biased.

It annoyed me enough to take a few months break recently, and its getting under my skin again :frustrate

of course reps have a right to an opinion as well, but is there any way to fix this. Make it more obvious who is repping what?

They pay the bills muchacho. Suck it up!

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
of course there is always the alternative of reps not being identified at all, with a ton of covert advertising. That sounds a lot worse.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't pimp. I will asnswer any question related to IBE's products, but I refuse to spam threads.
I've seen a few (reps) simply drop in a random thread and promote a product that isn't even being discussed. That bothers me.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Not all reps do this you know. Not only that if someone is asking for an opinion, perhaps it is that persons opinion beyond the rep status that it works well.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I think it comes around full circle, sure they may persuade a few stray newbies that come to the boards but after a while they start to discredit themselves (to me at least). I know personally that even though I am a rep for a company, I will not suggestion one of our products unless I am asked directly or the post is in our sub-forum/log of our product.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I'm not complaining about any specific reps, and in fact a decent amount of them are very helpful and knowledgeable.

It just becomes frustrating when a thread is mostly product pimping from one rep to the next, which does happen. Or as Iron lungz said, when a rep just jumps in with a random advertisement.

I think I'm just venting.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm not complaining about any specific reps, and in fact a decent amount of them are very helpful and knowledgeable.

It just becomes frustrating when a thread is mostly product pimping from one rep to the next, which does happen. Or as Iron lungz said, when a rep just jumps in with a random advertisement.

I think I'm just venting.
Cool, vent away. We don't need good members leaving because of situations like this. So have at it! :D

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established

a good majority of reps here are helpful and also rep good products that may suit a particular thread or question - no issue there for me

there maybe some who do not but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be IMHO

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I was just considering it from another perspective, and I have to admit that I enjoy the close interactions with all the companies. There are going to be some annoying reps that come along with that, it would be impossible to avoid.

I feel a lot better about things after that slight change in perspective, that was easy. :lol:

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was just considering it from another perspective, and I have to admit that I enjoy the close interactions with all the companies. There are going to be some annoying reps that come along with that, it would be impossible to avoid.

I feel a lot better about things after that slight change in perspective, that was easy. :lol:
Well I do like your Avi.

Oh and BTW... Take REVERSE and EPISTANE!!! :D

Adams

tattoopierced1

If I feel that one of AMS's products fit the bill of what the user has in question, I will throw some suggestions out there.. But I also give props to other companies stuff that I've tried too. Give credit where credit is due, I know alot of reps do the same thing too, and think most, give some pretty good unbiased answers.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
only shop at nutraplanet.
nutraplanet.
nutraplanet.
nutraplanet.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recommend what is best for the unique situation. If it is one of my products, and I feel it is best, then I will recommend. I just as often recommend a bulk powder (From Nutraplanet!) or other company's product.

Just learn who gives out good advice, and who doesn't (granted, this takes time and observation), then ignore the ones that don't.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I think various reps' responses are similar to the ads you see in a typical magazine. For example, if you read Muscle & Fitness you probably come across horribly ridiculous ads with outrageous claims. Yet there are other ads that are more professional, clear, and concise. After seeing who puts out the bullsh!t ads on a regular basis you will learn to ignore them and discount their ads (and maybe the company as a whole) significantly, if not 100%.

So, I'm basically repeating what Dsade said.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
Reps are the devil.....I agree

I agree some reps only pimp their companies products, but the majority of reps on AM are pretty good.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Obviously a rep is going to recommend their product over anothers if it is similar. Something like a pre-wo drink or PCT product, etc. - I don't mind that. First of all, most of the reps on AM rep for great companies, so it's hard to say any of the products are bad; however, it DOES bother me when someone will recommend a different product and then the rep jumps down his or her throat for doing so...but I don't see that happen too often. We've got a pretty good group.

Great reps are very important to me. I don't appreciate anyone more than a tell it like it is rep.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Havoc turned the gator in the pond behind my house into a 700lb beast, just think what it can do for you!

:djparty:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
1.) Most companies that sponsor AM provide good, quality products that work.

2.) Most reps for said companies have been members of this board for a while and whos opinions and advice are respected regardless.

3.) Most said reps will recommend other products as well as provide information on training aspects and diet as well as general topics.

4.) Usually when a rep recommends his company's products, it's to educate the new guys on what is out there, what is available, and what might be a good option for them.

I would expect the reps to recommend their products, and secondary products that they have used and enjoy.

RR

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know the difference between creatine and protein, but I just saved $50 by shopping at www.nutraplanet.com :lol:

Johny this is the kind of rant that usually goes in the anonymous section, but I like it better in the general chat so there's no anonymous posters making asinine comments. We all pretty much agree there's a limit; if a poster asks for a recommendation, they're going to get jumped by reps and I'm OK with them recommending their product if they fully explain why, provide tester feedback. However it irks me too when a rep just in their productly blatantly and often without even trying to work it into the thread.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know the difference between creatine and protein, but I just saved $50 by shopping at www.nutraplanet.com :lol:

Johny this is the kind of rant that usually goes in the anonymous section, but I like it better in the general chat so there's no anonymous posters making asinine comments. We all pretty much agree there's a limit; if a poster asks for a recommendation, they're going to get jumped by reps and I'm OK with them recommending their product if they fully explain why, provide tester feedback. However it irks me too when a rep just in their productly blatantly and often without even trying to work it into the thread.
You should get X-Force. It's better than staying at a holiday inn express.

Adams

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established