I Missed Picking Up Rank By 8 G*d Damn Points!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I missed picking up 1st Class Petty Officer (E-6) by 8 Points...:jaw:

Man thats fu*king frustrating. :frustrate

Next time for sure!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'll get'em next time, brother! :)

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
WTH is a 1st class petty officer?

How do you miss points? Were you reprimanded or did you not do enough "work"/duties? Or?

-Interested-

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
WTH is a 1st class petty officer?

How do you miss points? Were you reprimanded or did you not do enough "work"/duties? Or?

-Interested-
It is a Naval enlisted rank. A pretty high one at that. I believe enlisted ranks in the navy go up to E-9? And I believe the points are in reference to a test, but it's been a while.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
It is a Naval enlisted rank. A pretty high one at that. I believe enlisted ranks in the navy go up to E-9? And I believe the points are in reference to a test, but it's been a while.
You meant "petty high", didn't you? nuc nuc nuc

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
that must suck.. i've been enjoying my E6 pay for 3 yrs now.. now i gotta figure how to maked E7 this coming february. hope going to iraq a bunch of times helps

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Civilian (noob) question about navy: Don't you guys get sick of being stuck on a boat all the time w/a bunch of other dudes? Or am I wrongly assuming you're stuck on a boat all the time?

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Civilian (noob) question about navy: Don't you guys get sick of being stuck on a boat all the time w/a bunch of other dudes? Or am I wrongly assuming you're stuck on a boat all the time?
There are also women on all the ships in the Navy, except for submarines if that still is the case.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm familiar with the army's enlisted rank system, but not naval.

A guy i worked with a few years ago (army) was always trying to recruit me, lol. He says as a registered nurse i would enter into the army as a 2nd lieutenant after boot camp.

I wish i did it when i was younger. I always wanted to be a navy seal, or as my marine buddy would say S.E.A.L. (Sleep, Eat, And lift Weights), but i'm at a different point in my life right now.

God bless those that serve!:drunk:

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
There are also women on all the ships in the Navy, except for submarines if that still is the case.
Ya, but isnt' that called the lottery? I mean, a couple ladies (probably the bull dyke types?) in a sea (no pun intended) of guys.

They should put signs on their backs.."door knob #1", "door knob #2",...all the way up to....3.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Enlisted ranks go up to E-9. for the Navy E-6 position is called Petty Officer 1st Class. In order to advance in rank within the Navy you have to achieve a final multiple that is equal or higher than the "cut off score." In my case my final multiple was 198.41 and I needed 207.24.
The final mutiple is comprised of several things. A bi-annual exam is one portion, you also have an annual "evaluation," time in service, and also "PNA" points. PNA points are pass, but not advanced points. you get them if you passed the exam, but due to quota limitations didn't advance. depending on how well you did on the exam depends on how many PNA points you get. This was my 2nd time taking the exam for E-6 and only had 2 PNA points. The average person who advanced had 6.8 PNA points. What sucks is that i did better than 80% of everyone who took the exam. It says so right on my profile sheet.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Enlisted ranks go up to E-9. for the Navy E-6 position is called Petty Officer 1st Class. In order to advance in rank within the Navy you have to achieve a final multiple that is equal or higher than the "cut off score." In my case my final multiple was 198.41 and I needed 207.24.
The final mutiple is comprised of several things. A bi-annual exam is one portion, you also have an annual "evaluation," time in service, and also "PNA" points. PNA points are pass, but not advanced points. you get them if you passed the exam, but due to quota limitations didn't advance. depending on how well you did on the exam depends on how many PNA points you get. This was my 2nd time taking the exam for E-6 and only had 2 PNA points. The average person who advanced had 6.8 PNA points. What sucks is that i did better than 80% of everyone who took the exam. It says so right on my profile sheet.
Exam....as in written exam? If so, what do they test you on?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Hahaha...man I wouldn't know. 8.5 years in the Navy and I have never even stepped foot on a ship. I'm a Corpsman (combat medic) and have spent 4 out of my 8 in the desert with Marines either 29 Palms, Ca. or Iraq and the rest in schools, training commands, and clinics/hospitals.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Hahaha...man I wouldn't know. 8.5 years in the Navy and I have never even stepped foot on a ship. I'm a Corpsman (combat medic) and have spent 4 out of my 8 in the desert with Marines either 29 Palms, Ca. or Iraq and the rest in schools, training commands, and clinics/hospitals.
....I just sent my self to stand in a corner w/a dunce hat on......

Thanks for the clarification. I have this ignorant generalization that all Navy peeps spend all day riding around on some ship, wearing their triangular hats and bellbottom pants. Had no clue navy dudes spent time in deserts.....how ironic!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exam....as in written exam? If so, what do they test you on?
200 question written exam. 3 hour time limit. The test is broken into different sections. A certain amount of questions are rate specific i.e. medical related others are in catagories that are called PMK or professional military knowledge and BMR or basic military requirements. The last two are questions on things that the Navy believes everyone should know regardless of their specific jobs. Here is how it was broken down this time.

1. EMERGENCY MEDICINE - 10
2. MEDICAL ADMINISTRATION - 20
3. MEDICAL PROGRAMS - 20
4. PATIENT CARE - 10
5. PHARMACY - 10
6. PREVENTIVE MEDICINE - 10
7. SUPPLY AND LOGISTICS - 10
8. FORCE HEALTH PROTECTION - 15
9. LAB INFECTION CONTROL - 10
10. RESPONSIBILITY/ACCT/AUTH - 20
11. MISSION AND FORCE SECURITY - 15
12. PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT - 15
13. GENERAL ADMIN - 15
14. APPLICATIONS (SCENARIO) - 10
15. CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS - 10

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
....I just sent my self to stand in a corner w/a dunce hat on......

Thanks for the clarification. I have this ignorant generalization that all Navy peeps spend all day riding around on some ship, wearing their triangular hats and bellbottom pants. Had no clue navy dudes spent time in deserts.....how ironic!
I'm what they call an FMF (fleet marine force) Corpsman because I go with the Marines. To be honest I have no desire to go on a ship. FMF Corpsman are considered the bastard children of the Navy and I damn well like it that way..lol.. Ship board Sailors are a bunch of Bag Nasty's and were, well, badass.

:bow28:

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the clarification bud!

Reps for serving our country. :cheers:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
200 question written exam. 3 hour time limit. The test is broken into different sections. A certain amount of questions are rate specific i.e. medical related others are in catagories that are called PMK or professional military knowledge and BMR or basic military requirements. The last two are questions on things that the Navy believes everyone should know regardless of their specific jobs. Here is how it was broken down this time.

1. EMERGENCY MEDICINE - 10
2. MEDICAL ADMINISTRATION - 20
3. MEDICAL PROGRAMS - 20
4. PATIENT CARE - 10
5. PHARMACY - 10
6. PREVENTIVE MEDICINE - 10
7. SUPPLY AND LOGISTICS - 10
8. FORCE HEALTH PROTECTION - 15
9. LAB INFECTION CONTROL - 10
10. RESPONSIBILITY/ACCT/AUTH - 20
11. MISSION AND FORCE SECURITY - 15
12. PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT - 15
13. GENERAL ADMIN - 15
14. APPLICATIONS (SCENARIO) - 10
15. CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS - 10
Interesting. Great job on doing well on your written test, brother!

I got certified as a CEN (Certified Emergency Nurse) about 4 years ago, and it's broken down in exam format that is similar in ways. It was a hard azz test man, so i can imagine this was as well.

Reps also for serving our country proudly. :D

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I'm familiar with the army's enlisted rank system, but not naval.

A guy i worked with a few years ago (army) was always trying to recruit me, lol. He says as a registered nurse i would enter into the army as a 2nd lieutenant after boot camp.

I wish i did it when i was younger. I always wanted to be a navy seal, or as my marine buddy would say S.E.A.L. (Sleep, Eat, And lift Weights), but i'm at a different point in my life right now.

God bless those that serve!:drunk:
My cousin's husband is in the navy... he flew helicopters for a little less than 10 years, then enrolled in med school through the navy to be a surgeon. Its pretty sweet because your in med school, getting paid, able to support your family at the same time. All he owe's them is 4 years service afterwards.

pretty good deal. its not too late trauma ;)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My cousin's husband is in the navy... he flew helicopters for a little less than 10 years, then enrolled in med school through the navy to be a surgeon. Its pretty sweet because your in med school, getting paid, able to support your family at the same time. All he owe's them is 4 years service afterwards.

Lol, i know. :)

I'll tell you this, if i ever chose to go the MD route, i would have enlisted to get it done that way fo sure!

It would have been very interesting to be a combat zone MD in ways. The experience and education would be unmatched in any other environment/setting imo.

I give our military combat medics all the credit in the world, that is no easy task by any stretch of the imagination. Having to make life saving decisions while being shot at is unreal.

Truly inspiring in every fashion. :clap2:

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Never give up Trauma, your turn will come, then you can say "suck a fat one....biaches"JK. I am army bred, but we have a point system as well that is based on your PT and marksmanship score, college credits, military school credits, and genral military questions that you are asked in front of a panel of high ranking personnel. The max score for every mos is 798. Every month the army takes an toll of everyone's score for all the mos's and then sets an average for that month. When I made my E-6, the average for that month was 769, which is exactly what I had. Each mos has it's own average for each month. when they want to make a lot of promotions, they sometimes lower the everage so that a lot of soldiers can make the cut off. Once you make E-6, the next 3 promotions are determined by the department of the Army. You get selected by an unknown panel based on your accomplishments in regards to duties performed, the ratings you got on your NCOER (these are like report cards).

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never give up Trauma, your turn will come, then you can say "suck a fat one....biaches"JK. I am army bred, but we have a point system as well that is based on your PT and marksmanship score, college credits, military school credits, and genral military questions that you are asked in front of a panel of high ranking personnel. The max score for every mos is 798. Every month the army takes an toll of everyone's score for all the mos's and then sets an average for that month. When I made my E-6, the average for that month was 769, which is exactly what I had. Each mos has it's own average for each month. when they want to make a lot of promotions, they sometimes lower the everage so that a lot of soldiers can make the cut off. Once you make E-6, the next 3 promotions are determined by the department of the Army. You get selected by an unknown panel based on your accomplishments in regards to duties performed, the ratings you got on your NCOER (these are like report cards).
So an NCO exists within the E system then, right? When you reach officer ranking such as lieutenant or captain, how does the system then work?

Off the top of my head, i thought as an officer in the army you advanced as follows:

2nd Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel
General (1-5 star)

Of course i could be way off here, but just curious.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you pick up extra points by doing correspondence courses? They are free and take about 5 minutes each.

/loved the PsyOps series.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

True. My goal is to eventually be accepted into the Navy's PA program. Minimum requirements are be E-5 and have 60 science specific credits. No prior degree needed. You go to school for 2 years. 1 year didactics in Texas and 1 year internship in San Diego. You get paid fully to go to school receive a Masters Degree from the University of Nebraska and are commissioned as an O-2 E officer (officers are O-1 thru whatever and enlisted are E-1 thru etc. So you are automatically up a grade and the E part means prior enlisted and all your years count towards your pay scale. Trust me they do well. I'm just chipping away at the credits and right now am about to work on my Paramedics license.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
So an NCO exists within the E system then, right? When you reach officer ranking such as lieutenant or captain, how does the system then work?

Off the top of my head, i thought as an officer in the army you advanced as follows:

2nd Lieutenant -O1
1st Lieutenant-O2
Captain-O3
Major-O4
Lieutenant Colonel-O5
Colonel-O6
General (1-5 star)

Of course i could be way off here, but just curious.
You are correct, NCO's are in the E series, and Officers are in the O series, as I labled above. Officers get promoted based on OER (report card) and recommendations. If an officer gets passed over twice for promotion, he has to resign. You can go from enlisted to officer if you go green to gold (this is an incentive to go to collge, then when graduate, you then re-enter as a 2nd lt. You can also submit a packet, if it is accepted, you go to OCS (officer candidate school).

To answer the other question about correspondence courses for promotion points, yes you can. 5 correspondence credits equal 1 college credit. You can get what is called an AARTS transcript, this is where you send all your certificates from all the military schools attended, as well your correspondence courses, and they evaluate them, then convert them to actuall college credits, and give you an actual transcript.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We do get a bibliography to go by when studying. This was the bib for this last exam. Just to give an idea of where the info comes from and how were expected to know it. Some of these resources are 1-10 pages and some are 100's. it can be pretty ridiculus. You just have to read bit by bit starting now in prep for the March exam. I tend to focus on the subjects that I don't already know or am uncomfortable with.

Occupational References

BUMEDINST 5210.9, FORMS AND REPORTS MANAGEMENT PROGRAM

BUMEDINST 5450.165, OFFICE OF THE SURGEON GENERAL AND CHIEF, BUREAU OF MEDICINE AND SURGERY ORGANIZATION

BUMEDINST 6010.13, QUALITY ASSURANCE (QA) PROGRAM

BUMEDINST 6220.12, MEDICAL EVENT REPORTS

BUMEDINST 6230.15, IMMUNIZATIONS AND CHEMOPROPHYLAXIS

BUMEDINST 6440.5, HEALTH SERVICES AUGMENTATION PROGRAM (HSAP)

BUMEDINST 6700.13G CH-1, MANAGEMENT AND PROCUREMENT OF AUTHORIZED MEDICAL AND DENTAL ALLOWANCE LIST MATERIEL FOR FLEET UN ITS

BUMEDNOTE 6230, IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

EPMAC 1080#4 UM-01, ENLISTED DISTRIBUTION AND VERIFICATION REPORT USERS` MANUAL; SEC 1

MCWP 4-11.1, HEALTH SERVICE SUPPORT OPERATIONS; CHAP 1, 3

NAVEDTRA 14274, DENTAL TECHNICIAN, VOLUME 01; CHAP 2, 6, 9

NAVEDTRA 14295, HOSPITAL CORPSMAN

NAVMED P 5052-26, U.S. NAVY SHIPBOARD PEST CONTROL; CHAP 2

NAVMED P-117, MANUAL OF THE MEDICAL DEPARTMENT; CHAP 6, 16, 19

NAVMED P-5010, MANUAL OF NAVAL PREVENTIVE MEDICINE; CHAP 1, 9

NAVMED P-5041, TREATMENT OF CHEMICAL AGENT CASUALTIES AND CONVENTIONAL MILITARY CHEMICAL INJURIES; APP B

NAVMEDCOMINST 5360.1, DECEDENT AFFAIRS MANUAL; CHAP 1, 2

NAVMEDCOMINST 6230.2, MALARIA PREVENTION AND CONTROL

OPNAVINST 5215.17, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY DIRECTIVES ISSUANCE SYSTEM; CHAP 1, 5

SECNAVINST 5216.5, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY CORRESPONDENCE MANUAL; CHAP 1, 2

TRICARE BENEFICIARY HANDBOOK

TRICARE STANDARD HANDBOOK

Professional Military Knowledge References

A-500-0101, LEADING PETTY OFFICER LEADERSHIP COURSE STUDENT GUIDE

BUPERSINST 1430.16, ADVANCEMENT MANUAL FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF ENLISTED PERSONNEL OF U.S. NAVY AND U.S. NAVAL RESERVE

BUPERSINST 1610.10, NAVY PERFORMANCE EVALUATION SYSTEM

NAVEDTRA 14144, MILITARY REQUIREMENTS FOR CHIEF PETTY OFFICER

NAVEDTRA 14145, MILITARY REQUIREMENTS FOR PETTY OFFICER FIRST CLASS

NAVEDTRA 14325, MILITARY REQUIREMENTS, BASIC (BMR)

NAVEDTRA 14504, MILITARY REQUIREMENTS FOR PETTY OFFICERS THIRD AND SECOND CLASS

NAVPERS 15560, NAVAL MILITARY PERSONNEL MANUAL

NAVPERS 15665, U.S. NAVY UNIFORM REGULATIONS

NWP 3-07.2, NAVY DOCTRINE FOR ANTITERRORISM/FORCE PROTECTION; URL https://dodpse.spawar.navy.mil

OPNAVINST 1740.5A, PERSONAL FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT (PFM) EDUCATION, TRAINING AND COUNSELING PROGRAM

OPNAVINST 5100.25A, NAVY RECREATION, ATHLETIC AND HOME SAFETY PROGRAM

OPNAVINST 5350.4, DRUG AND ALCOHOL ABUSE PREVENTION AND CONTROL

OPNAVINST 5354.1, NAVY EQUAL OPPORTUNITY (EO) POLICY

SECNAV M-5510.30, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY PERSONNEL SECURITY PROGRAM

SECNAVINST 5100.13, NAVY AND MARINE CORPS TOBACCO POLICY

SECNAVINST 5300.26, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY (DON) POLICY ON SEXUAL HARASSMENT

TSP BOOKLET, SUMMARY OF THE THRIFT SAVINGS PLAN; URL http://www.tsp.gov/cgi-bin/byteserver.cgi/forms/tspbk03.pdf

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
Im keeping my fingers crossed for this upcoming DA Board, my 2nd look for E7 and I got my ERB straight, and been working at one E-grade higher since I became an NCO.. all I can do is hope and pray. If not then Im putting my Warrant Officer packet in.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im keeping my fingers crossed for this upcoming DA Board, my 2nd look for E7 and I got my ERB straight, and been working at one E-grade higher since I became an NCO.. all I can do is hope and pray. If not then Im putting my Warrant Officer packet in.
Warrent officer? In what field?

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
You probably have a better chance at getting into WO school than making E7. Making E7- E9 is almost like russian roulette. You better hope and pray you had some tough good assignments, really GOOD NCOERs. I had tough assignments, and what "I" thought were good NCOERs, no dice. I did two tours of Saudi, airborne and air assault, and pathfinder qualified, been an OC at JRTC, Ranger qualified, been thru SFAS.....not enough. I am out now, and while not loving civilian life, I make ok money in the IT field (systems engineer). Good luck though, I wish you all the best.

MrTexas1982

Awards
I never liked the Warrant Officers i came accross in the navy. They all had this snobby attitude like they wanted to prove to the other officers that they were real officers by dcking over us enlisted guys. I was offered Seaman to Admiral 2 times, but after being Enlisted I felt like that would make me a trader and I would lose respect for myself. Just my .02

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are correct, NCO's are in the E series, and Officers are in the O series, as I labled above. Officers get promoted based on OER (report card) and recommendations. If an officer gets passed over twice for promotion, he has to resign. You can go from enlisted to officer if you go green to gold (this is an incentive to go to collge, then when graduate, you then re-enter as a 2nd lt. You can also submit a packet, if it is accepted, you go to OCS (officer candidate school).

To answer the other question about correspondence courses for promotion points, yes you can. 5 correspondence credits equal 1 college credit. You can get what is called an AARTS transcript, this is where you send all your certificates from all the military schools attended, as well your correspondence courses, and they evaluate them, then convert them to actuall college credits, and give you an actual transcript.
Good deal. Thanks for answering the question. :)

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
You probably have a better chance at getting into WO school than making E7. Making E7- E9 is almost like russian roulette. You better hope and pray you had some tough good assignments, really GOOD NCOERs. I had tough assignments, and what "I" thought were good NCOERs, no dice. I did two tours of Saudi, airborne and air assault, and pathfinder qualified, been an OC at JRTC, Ranger qualified, been thru SFAS.....not enough. I am out now, and while not loving civilian life, I make ok money in the IT field (systems engineer). Good luck though, I wish you all the best.
russian roulette....luck.. who ya know who ya blow.. yea.. i agree.. i work with a guy who went to BNCOC as an E7.. and he is a cook.. go figure..

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I made E5 in record time, but it took me four tries to pick up E6, so I feel your pain. I left the Navy right after I put on the third chevron. My rate (AT - avionics tech) was full at the time and they were very slow to promote. MS's (cooks) made rank faster than we did.

OP, I don't recall my exam being all written answers. Seems like there was mostly multiple choice when I took it. Then again, that was in the mid-1990s, and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Good luck next time.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I made E5 in record time, but it took me four tries to pick up E6, so I feel your pain. I left the Navy right after I put on the third chevron. My rate (AT - avionics tech) was full at the time and they were very slow to promote. MS's (cooks) made rank faster than we did.

OP, I don't recall my exam being all written answers. Seems like there was mostly multiple choice when I took it. Then again, that was in the mid-1990s, and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Good luck next time.

My bad. Let me clarify. When I stated written I meant to the exam was written vs an oral board. The answers are multiple choice, i.e. A,B,C,D.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It could be worse, a woman could sedate you while you're sleeping, cut your penis and throw it in the ocean.........:D

When's the soonest you can try again?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
March

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
yeah the military is all about multiple choice with an expectancy of all you need to pass is a 70 percentile. I fast tracked to my e-6, made it in 6yrs, then everything slowed down after that. I loved the jungle life, so going to the field and humping a ruck sack was fun for me. In fact I still pack 60lb ruck and hump on weekends. I tried the reserves, but it was too laid back for me, so I got out. Yeah, I just could not hack soldiers calling NCO's and officers by their first name, or soldiers not pressing their uniforms. Tried the Air National Guard, that was worse, waaaaaaaaaaay tooooo laid back, no PT, the PT test was 1 1/2 mile run or walk or however you make to the finsh line (no push up or situps), I had to get the h3ll out of that. Ok enough venting. Good luck man, you will get them next time around.