Purchased a gun that doesnt work

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
I have several hand guns and a few standard rifles. Never had a problem with any of them after I purchased them from a gun store. Well on Friday I purchased a semi auto Wasr AK-47. It was a used gun but every thing appeared fine it was 420 bucks. I went to shoot it today, loaded the magazine into the reciever and couldnt chamber a round. I attempted to hit the magazine catch to release the mag and nothign happened.. the 30 round mag is stuck in the gun and wont chamber a round. What recourse do I have if any ?? I am fuming right now that I just bought an expensive piece of wood and metal that wont even fire a round. Does the gun store have any obligation to accept the gun back or repair the gun once they sold it? Thanks for any help.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
I would take it back to the store and tell them exactly what happened.. If they have any kind of respect for their customers they'll at least try to fix. Did you take the firearm apart and clean it first.. Does the reciver cycle when it's not loaded.. Where is it getting jammed up. Is the round getting jammed? Do you have another magazine to try.. It could be a faulty magazine.. You might even try loading less than 30 rounds.. I know some mags say they hold 30, but the pressure from all 30 rounds causes them to not load properly.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Excellent questions!

If you haven't disassembled, cleaned, reassembled & cycled the arm, do so. Are you using a known-good magazine (meaning, it's functioned properly in another firearm)? Where/how does the cartridge-feed fail?

If you have a regular gun-shop, it might be worth your time to get them to give it a once-over: a written opinion on the arm's condition/operability from your shop may go a long way toward negotiating a satisfactory outcome w/ the sellers.
I typically load 28 rounds into a 30-round mag (13 in a 15-rnd clip, 9 in a 10-rnd), just for the lower stress on the mechanism.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies, I did not take apart, clean and reassemble the weapon yet. I should have done it before i decided to go out and shoot. It seems as if the magazine isnt setting right and when I go to chamber the round it isnt grabbing the round. Now the magazine is stuck and Ive already ripped enough skin off my fingers trying to get the mag out.

I know with my AR15 I cannot load 30 rounds in or it doesnt cycle properly, maybe its the same with the AK.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Food for thought...

My first guess would be a faulty magazine. pretty common bc they are made of lightweight metals and they are more likely to be abused then the actual gun (dropped, kicked, banged around, etc). I have one gun with a faulty mag and I can only get the first round to chamber.

AK's are exceptionally rugged, I would recommend calling the gun store to see how they would like to handle it.

Im not too familiar with the mag's on a AK, but you might be able to disassemble the bottom (spring housing) of the mag, pull out the spring and drop out the ammo. This might help to clear a jam or to just make it easier to handle and disassemble the firearm.

Be careful handling and transporting the firearm bc it is a loaded weapon.. even if its malfunctioning, it will be treated as a loaded firearm if you are pulled over or stopped while transporting it.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have never had a problem with the Ak's that I have fired. I would take it back and have them get the round out. It is not worth an accident to do it yourself.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good suggestion about trying to unload the clip from the bottom. If you can see that any part of a shell is touching any part in the gun, it's possible that it is jammed. Unloading that stress will definitely help.

Depending on local laws, you should probably call ahead to the shop first before going in with a loaded firearm. It's always good to let 'em know you're coming in loaded!

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
I was able to remove the mag today with alittle help from a hammer. I found the problem was with the way I was putting the magazine into the gun. I was told to " roll" the magazine in, rather than putting it straight in, meaning put the front edge in the roll the back in until you hear a click. It worked and the gun fires great. I am definatly glad I purchased the gun everything from the sound to the kick of the AK is amazing.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i have an iraqi sniper rifle for sale. never been fired, only been dropped once...

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I was able to remove the mag today with alittle help from a hammer. I found the problem was with the way I was putting the magazine into the gun. I was told to " roll" the magazine in, rather than putting it straight in, meaning put the front edge in the roll the back in until you hear a click. It worked and the gun fires great. I am definatly glad I purchased the gun everything from the sound to the kick of the AK is amazing.

yup first problem i encountered years ago with my first ak,.... i was so used to hittin the mag in straight like with my ar's, but ya get used to it. If you got the time, effort, and money look into getting the trigger finger mag release. I got it on 2 of my ak's, and you can drop a mag with your trigger finger like with ar's, with lil' to no modification.