How Long Can You Hold Plank (Core Exercise)

How Long can You Hold a Plank?

• 0-1 Minute

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2 Minutes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 2-3 Minutes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 2-4 Minutes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 4-5 Minutes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 5-6 Minutes

• 6-7 Minutes

• 7-8 Minutes

• 8-9 Minutes

• 9 and Over

• WTF is a Plank?

• I don't Workout

• Total voters
sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
I work at a gym and every week one of the employees here puts on a "Fitness Challenge" that runs from Saturday to Friday.

One exercise, movement, etc that we can participate in. Employees and Memebers are open to the challenge.

Last week it was a pull-up challenge (as many as you can do in 1 minute) and I won that one with 56 in that one minute.

This week the challenge is "The Plank" Now I am familiar with this hold and I know it's not easy but I thought I could do really well on it. But I only was able to hold it for 3:15.

There were guys on the list who claimed they held it for over 9 minutes. Even though everyone has to supervised by an employee to make sure they aren't cheating, I still can't believe the times some people were racking up.

Anybody know what the world record is and how long you can hold it?

Try it out and post on the poll!

Thanks

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
56 chins in one minute is unreal, nice work buddy!!

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Seems to change depending on how much rest my abs have I guess. If I am fresh and ready to go, I can do about 3, but if I have worked hard and they're sore, then about 1 or 2, definately love the plank :)

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I did crossfit for a while and that may contribute to why I can do it so many.
Its still impresive bro or else you would not have won.
You prolly have good proportions at 5'11" 170 whereas im 6'3" 186, lol. Longer way up (excuse lol).

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Im going to say this straight out......anyone who hasnt trained themselves to do this CANNOT do it and exceed a few minutes...its just not going to happen....I train with a pro bodybuilder, and we implement this in our clients training...most people literally start out around 30 seconds or so...and those are people who have been weight training for years. I have found it to be a very valuable tool in training and improving both core strength and functional strength....

holy

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
After my workout (think of it like a 75min crossfit workout with only 15 secs rest max at any given time), I do a back bridge and front bridge, some yoga positions, including the plank, never kept track, but I got a workout tonight, I'll time it.

It's funny when I could lift my max bench, I couldn't do more than 20 pushups at a time, now I can do around 100 +/- 10 in consecutively, weight training sucks at anything except strength in those particular lifts, IMO.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I did crossfit for a while and that may contribute to why I can do it so many.
So you kipped. I thought that was off. Still good, but go do pullups with a pause at the top, chin over bar, and the bottom, dead hang, and get back to us.

I've done 28 ultra strict pullups. 28 strict dips, pause at the top and bottom. 3k in 10:43. And 400m in 68 seconds. In that order. That was my fitness entry test for an Israeli gov't security school.

Plank? I suck. Sounds weird, but I'm 6'0" with a long torso, and it really affects my ab work. I can have rock hard strong abs, and go a minute or two on the plank max. Judo is slowly hammering my abs into the strongest they've ever been.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i did the plank last yr because my friend bet me $1 i couldn't do it for 5 min.
i made it but i was nearly in tears. and wow were my abs sore the next day.