how many people work out sick/injured

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
well i know very well, that while i'm sick i should not be in the gym, i should be resting so i get better sooner. and i know that while i'm injured i should not be in the gym, for the same reason. a week ago, i incurred a slight injury to my shoulder and have been working legs, doing cardio, some light back and arm work outs. am i alone?

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Louis Simmons of Westside Barbell is quoted as saying something like "Yes, train sick. Go to the gym and make sure everyone else gets what you have. You will all need to work harder"

that is just the first thing i think about when i hear that question haha

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i like that. maybe the next time i get sick, I'll make sure to cough on all the benches, machines and water fountains.....

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on how sick I am. My rule is usually if it's a neck-up thing (headache, stuffy face, sinuses, allergies) I go to the gym, but if it's neck-down (body aches from the flu, pulled muscles, vomitting, etc.) I stay home.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't do Deads because of my lower back and I currently cannot do ANY chest exercises (left pec injury), but I still clock in everyday and work with what I can do.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
It depends on the degree and type of illness. Some pain needs to be worked through,a slight cold can be worked through, pain after surgery cant be worked through, exercise does kick in your immune system so it may be helpful in some cases, if a guy goes to the gym with something contagious he should take precautions and wipe everything down after use or lift weights at home.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
I don't do it because it's unfair to everyone else if I contaminate the equipment and get them sick. I'd be pissed off if that happened to me

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I don't do it because it's unfair to everyone else if I contaminate the equipment and get them sick. I'd be pissed off if that happened to me
I wish everyone was that considerate. Germs and bacteria are everywhere, like other lower forms of life they cannot be avoided, but they dont have to be incorporated, keep hands away from face, avoid sneezing, coughing people who like to "spray" make sure personal antioxidant levels are high. A certain level of exposure enhances immunity anything beyond that is detrimental. Bars and nightclubs are places where you are more likely to "catch" something. Some gyms have spray bottles of antibac solution that you can use on station surfaces, some guys spray before and after, now thats the gym to go to!

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't workout in a gym, but I do workout when I'm sick or injured as long as working out worsen the sickness/injury considerably or cause permanent harm.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I wish everyone was that considerate. Germs and bacteria are everywhere, like other lower forms of life they cannot be avoided, but they dint have to be incorporated, keep hands away from face, avoid sneezing, coughing people who like to "spray" make sure personal antioxidant levels are high. A certain level of exposure enhances immunity anything beyond that is detrimental. Bars and nightclubs are places where you are more likely to "catch" something. Some gyms have spray bottles of antibac solution that you can use on station surfaces, some guys spray before and after, now thats the gym to go to!
yes, my gym have cleaner and anti-bacterial stuff too, i use it consistently, it's just good manners

IronMucsle

Awards
Im in the gym, everyday unless my body tells me not to, if i have zero energy then im home sleeping if not, im going for PB every day