Detroit?

bobocpt55

bobocpt55

Awards
Hey! i was just curious if anybody on here is from the Detroit Michigan area. i'm heading out there December 10th to serve an LDS church mission (mormons for those who aren't familiar ;) ) and i was just curious what its like. whatever useful information would also be awesome. Thanks!

p.s. not being able to get on AM for two years is gonna be kinda tough, not to mention not being able to lift weights :(

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I used too live on the border of detroit. Right across from the Detroit Zoo on woodward.

Anything in particular your curious about?

Where are you going to be located?

Why cant you lift weights?

bobocpt55

bobocpt55

Awards
I used too live on the border of detroit. Right across from the Detroit Zoo on woodward.

Anything in particular your curious about?

i've heard the city is a pretty scary place to be, but i didn't want to start casting judgment before i got there haha

Where are you going to be located?

i'm not sure specifically but if you were to divide Michigan into fourths, the mission area takes up the lower east fourth so possibly anywhere in there.

Why cant you lift weights?
They usually don't allow missionaries to go to gyms because it would focus our attention on other "things". i can do like sit ups and push ups at the apartment but it's just not gonna be the same.
thanks for your help bro!

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Well i hate to say it but it's not a safe city. But as long as you mind your own business you should be fine. At night if your by yourself I might lock your doors at stop lights as people have been known to jack your sh!t at a red light.

For the most part there is no real 'downtown' there is cobo hall, joe louis arena, the GM building and stuff right on the water, but there's nothing really too do as far as foot traffic. there are little pockets of areas that are cool around the city, like Belle Isle, and some of the border cities are cool like Birmingham, pleasant ridge, ferndale, royal oak.

The nice thing about the area is the access too outdoor activities. Any sport or pastime you can think of you can do, except for surfing.

too bad about the weights, theres a big powerhouse downtown. Bodyweight excercises are cool though, they're harder than people think.

Your right across the border from windsor ontario, very cool city, lots of concerts/festivals during the summer.

If I didnt cover something else you would want too know dont hesitate too ask, and once you find out exactly where your going too be you can let me know and I'll give you some stuff too do around your area, if that would help.

bobocpt55

bobocpt55

Awards
Well i hate to say it but it's not a safe city. But as long as you mind your own business you should be fine. At night if your by yourself I might lock your doors at stop lights as people have been known to jack your sh!t at a red light.
For the most part there is no real 'downtown' there is cobo hall, joe louis arena, the GM building and stuff right on the water, but there's nothing really too do as far as foot traffic. there are little pockets of areas that are cool around the city, like Belle Isle, and some of the border cities are cool like Birmingham, pleasant ridge, ferndale, royal oak.

The nice thing about the area is the access too outdoor activities. Any sport or pastime you can think of you can do, except for surfing.

too bad about the weights, theres a big powerhouse downtown. Bodyweight excercises are cool though, they're harder than people think.

Your right across the border from windsor ontario, very cool city, lots of concerts/festivals during the summer.

If I didnt cover something else you would want too know dont hesitate too ask, and once you find out exactly where your going too be you can let me know and I'll give you some stuff too do around your area, if that would help.
Thats what i was afraid of haha luckily as missionaries we go in pairs, so hopefully we'll be alright.

hmm if theres really no downtown, we might just be in the suburbs surrounding Detroit, but who knows!

Thank goodness at least we'll be able to get out and do something on our day off!

i was checking out all the powerhouses in that area and i think i might just have to meander on over to one, they look awesome

Thats actually where one of my friends is serving at and he said it was awesome there. i don't think i'll be able to go though since it's out of our boundaries :(

You've been an awesome help! do you still live in that area? if you do and ever need help with anything just let me know. thanks again

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You'll blend right in with your suit and name tag ;)

pistol whip some b!tches as soon as you land so they know who they're messing with haha

bobocpt55

bobocpt55

Awards
You'll blend right in with your suit and name tag ;)

pistol whip some b!tches as soon as you land so they know who they're messing with haha
haha i'm gonna stand out like a whore in church. that was actually the first thing on my to do list when i got there, i might have to use a Book of Mormon or the Bible instead of a pistol, but it's gonna happen. So i take it your familiar with us missionaries?

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Use your whole quad (not leg, all four books).

I'm an ex (though still a member) mormon :)

If you wish to discuss it I'd be happy too. Maybe best left to private messages though? ...your call.

I looked at your pic. You're one monster 18 year old. You wont have a prob out there haha

rabbievil

rabbievil

Awards
futurepilot is dead on.i live in hazel park on the border of detroit.this is a very dangerous place if you dont pay attention.if you look like a newb,people will target you.pay attention to people and surrondings,always be ready for anything.other than that you should be just fine.:welcome:

bobocpt55

bobocpt55

Awards
Use your whole quad (not leg, all four books).

I'm an ex (though still a member) mormon :)

If you wish to discuss it I'd be happy too. Maybe best left to private messages though? ...your call.

I looked at your pic. You're one monster 18 year old. You wont have a prob out there haha
since i don't have a quad i'll have to use my musclely quad to beat them down! i'm tryin to bulk up a little more before i leave so hopefully i won't have any problems.

and i will try my hardest not to look like a newb out in Detroit haha thanks for the heads up rabbievil

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
i used to live in the hood of detroit right on lynwood and taylor. if u go to the gym u better not tell no one u a missionary, they might stomp that A$$