Tips for getting up super ****ing early!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
So I need to reset my sleep schedule. Right now I go to sleep between 130am and 2 am and I'll wake up at either 9am or 10am depending on what time my classes start for that day.

I'd rather go to sleep at 10 or 1030 and wake up at 445. I've tried the last two days to get up that early but....uh....it didn't work out so well. I don't want to "taper" back either, I just want to do it.

So far I've moved my alarm clock to the other side of the room and I plan on taking a caffeine pill upon waking. Any other tips? Should I slug some nyquil at like 8pm tonight? :toofunny:

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Light!
Light is a zeitgeber that will help set your circadian clock. If you put a light on a timer switch to turn on a few minutes before your alarm you will notice a difference. Another thing you may want to try is taking melatonin about 30 minutes before your desired sleep time and then laying in a dark room with no TV's on.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Since were on a weightlifting board, breaking open an ammonia cap right when you wake will get you moving.....

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
Vallerian root helps me get to sleep early.. as for waking up take some Yohimbine or taurine when you get up. Thats usually how i do it.. By the time you get out of the shower you will be wide awake...haha

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Def put the alarm where you cant turn it off without getting up. And dont "lay back down for a sec" or you'll be out

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it takes time and practice. I am up at 430 every day. I started with the alarm at a distance to force the situation

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Light!
Light is a zeitgeber that will help set your circadian clock. If you put a light on a timer switch to turn on a few minutes before your alarm you will notice a difference. Another thing you may want to try is taking melatonin about 30 minutes before your desired sleep time and then laying in a dark room with no TV's on.
Good call! I used to have a big light bulb alarm clock. I'll have to see if I can find it.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
During the summer and spring I wake up at 430 Am and get to the gym by 5am. It takes me a few weeks to adjust to this and before I know it im going to bed at 930-10pm and up before sunrise. During the fall and winter I have a very hard time getting up earlier. I dread the cold winter mornings and would rather lay in bed until about 8am-9am.

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
To me, its all mental. I wake up at 4:15 and go hit the gym. I just ask myself how bad I want it, and that pretty much motivates me to get up instantly. lol

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Stay up late, put clock far away from you, shut it off and stay up,,,, you will be so tired that night you will fall asleep earlier, then get up at desired time.
Works for me everytime!

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry, the Drill Sergeant will get you up in time.:hammer:

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is the very spot where melatonin shines. Since it is the hormone that tells your body it is dark outside and time to start winding down. Take 3mgs at 10pm, and lay down after 15-20 minutes. Make sure the alarm clock is out of view... or you will be clock watching if so. As PMiller said, a light clock works wonders. I think sharper image has a clock that rises like the sun to ease you awake before the good old buzz we all love.

Adams

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
it takes time and practice. I am up at 430 every day. I started with the alarm at a distance to force the situation
I use the alarm clock at a distance method too, it works ok but isn't 100% for me...on nights where I don't get enough sleep i've turned it off and don't even remember it :frustrate

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i set my coffee pot on autobrew. there's a yummy feeling i have when i wake up and know that my coffee is ready for me. then i blend 1 cup of half and half into a scoop of whey, dump it in my cup of coffee and sip it while i'm getting the kids ready for school.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
do the melatonan thing. It wont shift your clock overnight, but it does work.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'm awake! Up at 445 today; that's about 3.25 hours of sleep. I had a WTF AM I DOING moment when I was on the John.

I didn't even use a buzzer alarm, but used the radio wake up option with the clock on the other side of the room. Switching on of my bring lights right at wake up definitely helped. I feel like **** being up this early but I'm about to go for a run/workout.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Why do you want to be up so early? get the gym and cardio out of the way before the day starts? just curious....i used to do AM cardio when i was walking distance from my gym. Now im not so im back to getting up and going straight to work. Morning cardio does make you feel great during the rest of the day and quite noticably kickstarts the metabolism.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Just set the alarm to go off every 20 minutes, you will be sure to get up on time and your T levels will get elevated.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Why do you want to be up so early? get the gym and cardio out of the way before the day starts? just curious....i used to do AM cardio when i was walking distance from my gym. Now im not so im back to getting up and going straight to work. Morning cardio does make you feel great during the rest of the day and quite noticably kickstarts the metabolism.
Just want to start being more productive. I usually get all my studying done by 11pm and then I just watch tv or something until 2. I'm also getting up early because I've started a training program to see if I can get myself in good enough shape for Army infantry and perhaps a bit beyond that. Seeing as how they like to PT at 430 or 5 am, I thought why not do it like they do. I will be doing gym workouts in the afternoon, however.

On the side, I do like being up for opening bell and watching Squawk Box and on CNBC which is an early morning show ;)

As for today, waking up was rough on 3.25 hours of sleep. After about 15 minutes and a caff pill I was feeling great. After running more than I have in a long time as well, calisthenics in between, a shower and breakfast I'm starting to come down a bit......Hopefully I'll be able to make it through the day.

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
i'm up at 5 and get alot of homework done before class at 9:30. I usually fart around until 6:45 then study an hour or two. i try not to get up before 5. i get to bed around 10:30

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
The first three days are always the hardest. Although it's like a kick in the balls, depriving yourself of sleep to start things off will only make it easier to fall asleep at that 9PM bed time or whenever. The gradual tapering or weening to an earlier wakeup sounds to be just more painful.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
have a routine before bed and when you get up. be organized for a quick start in the morning. for instance have the clothes you are going to wear ready for the next morning the night before, plan your breakfast the night before , if your a shake guy in the morning try swiching to food. Dont relax at all the first hour you get up keep moving.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This morning I set my alarm for 6:15 so I could hit the gym from 7-8:30 before class, because I have 6 straight hours of business until now :( And I don't like working out in the evenings.