best way to prevent the common cold

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
Ok, maybe not the best way that was just to catch your attention...

this afternoon i started to feel a little funny... light headache,eyes are feeling watery and my throat is getting soor, at home everyone has running noses, coughing and what not.

I take my daily vitamins plus some extra vitamin C, what do you recommend on how can i prevent getting sick w/o abandoning the family?

TIA
df

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
zma, echinacea, and extra calories are all good in my opinion. some people, when sick, tend to eat less. i eat a bit more. fuel for the battle within.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
as soon as you get the tickle in your throat, take a vitamin c pill. take one every three hours until you go to bed. if they're huge vit c pills, expect to get diarrhea. i haven't had a cold in two years. jalapeno's in specific are rumored to fight colds. i have a friend thats been eating one per day for 10 years and says he hasn't gotten a cold in that time. of course, i haven't known him for 10 years, so who knows.

the vit c every few hours will do the trick. at least for me it does.

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
vitamin C & the multi are the primary two your going to want to get into your system, especially the Vit C.. I'll have to try that one every hour trick.. I've also been known to double up on my multi. I may take two in the morning and then two again in the early evening, say around 6pm..

Here's one that may sound funny... I was on my first bottle of Prime, dosing 2-2-2.. Well, I went off of it for one week (Hurricane Gustav) & ended up feeling like I got run over by a truck! Got back on it & went back to feeling great again!!!
'guess Prime is the next great multi!!!:bruce3:

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
zma, echinacea, and extra calories are all good in my opinion. some people, when sick, tend to eat less. i eat a bit more. fuel for the battle within.
thx, I already take ZMA nightly, maybe i'll double up on it.. i will keep my 6 meals and not cut back on calories, as long as I'm okay to eat solids.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
vitamin C & the multi are the primary two your going to want to get into your system, especially the Vit C.. I'll have to try that one every hour trick.. I've also been known to double up on my multi. I may take two in the morning and then two again in the early evening, say around 6pm..

Here's one that may sound funny... I was on my first bottle of Prime, dosing 2-2-2.. Well, I went off of it for one week (Hurricane Gustav) & ended up feeling like I got run over by a truck! Got back on it & went back to feeling great again!!!
'guess Prime is the next great multi!!!:bruce3:
I'll be doubling up on my multi vitamins starting tonight.

I'm not sure on the prime since i don't have any around and i think i'll take a couple of days off training so that this doesn't get any worst (i train at 5:00 AM, some rest will be more beneficial right now)

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
vit c (ascorbic acid, usually powder), echinacea, some goldenseal, zma, sleep...daily high doses of glutamine also show to boost immune system.

this of course all defeats the purpose if you are already sick, prevention is key for viral sicknesses. for seasonal support you should start with higher amounts of vit c and echinacea in advance. echinacea is also in the Aster (dasiy) faimly so watch for your allergies.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
as soon as you get the tickle in your throat, take a vitamin c pill. take one every three hours until you go to bed. if they're huge vit c pills, expect to get diarrhea. i haven't had a cold in two years. jalapeno's in specific are rumored to fight colds. i have a friend thats been eating one per day for 10 years and says he hasn't gotten a cold in that time. of course, i haven't known him for 10 years, so who knows.

the vit c every few hours will do the trick. at least for me it does.
And will be carrying my vit C bottle with me tomorrow... i've got the horse pills C 1000 i'll be taking them every 4 hours.

thanks fellas

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I never have noticed jack **** from vit c when I'm sick. I actually tend to get worse ha (but Im sure that's in my head)

j4ever

Awards
i would take a couple of extra vit c a day and keep eating a good diet,vit c should help shorten the duration a little, always being healthy and staying active is the best way not to get sick but if your going to get sick you going to get sick point blank.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Washing hands
Lysol
Cleaning more often

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
[size=+1]GUT HEALTH[/size] by RPN

No joke...i used to get sick every time a bug went through the office ( a lot of people here have young kids so this was common). Every time I would make gains in the gym, I would be out for a week feeling sick and just low on energy.

I started taking gut health last december. I havent gotten sick ONCE since then. One time I felt the symptoms (runny nose, cough, but i felt physically fine and had energy... and this past in 24 hours).

Vit C works well for me too.

Lastly, STRESS is the cause for 75% of doctors visits. Constant stress kills your immune system. Remember to take a week break from the gym every 2-3 months (just break from heavy lifting, cardio OK). Weight training is very stressful on the body and the body needs time to rest and restore itself.

Tyler1

Tyler1

Awards
Never let your wife start a daycare at your house...sick all the time...no flu will go through your are without some kid getting it and bringing it to your house.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
Never let your wife start a daycare at your house...sick all the time...no flu will go through your are without some kid getting it and bringing it to your house.
actually I got 2 little ones (2&3) who are sick right now and thank god they dont attend daycare else they'll be sick all the time and who knows where they got their little viruses from. i never thought i'd catch it from them

Tyler1

Tyler1

Awards
actually I got 2 little ones (2&3) who are sick right now and thank god they dont attend daycare else they'll be sick all the time and who knows where they got their little viruses from. i never thought i'd catch it from them
I have boys 1 and 4, 4 years ago I would have said," I never get sick, wussies get sick." Over the last 4 years I've got sick twice or more a year, I'm sick right now, the exact same junk my 1 year old got a week ago. Gotta love kids :) .

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well, about a day or two after my initial posting, I got what my 1 y/o came home w/ from daycare!!:aargh: Like Dormant said, I never thought I'd get sick from my little man... Damn, I was down for the count for a solid 24 hours. :sick: I couldn't ingest anything w/out it coming out the other end.. Needless to say, I wasn't able to get in the vit c, multi's or Prime.

I know that a big downfall for me is shift work. When I'm on my 4 working days, I get little sleep. On my 4 days off, I hit the gym very hard & work a part time gig w/ my father-in-law.. Basically burning the candle at both ends.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
if i have any on me, i double up on poseiden. seems to do the trick fairly well.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, about a day or two after my initial posting, I got what my 1 y/o came home w/ from daycare!!:aargh: Like Dormant said, I never thought I'd get sick from my little man... Damn, I was down for the count for a solid 24 hours. :sick: I couldn't ingest anything w/out it coming out the other end.. Needless to say, I wasn't able to get in the vit c, multi's or Prime.

I know that a big downfall for me is shift work. When I'm on my 4 working days, I get little sleep. On my 4 days off, I hit the gym very hard & work a part time gig w/ my father-in-law.. Basically burning the candle at both ends.
Children bring the viral syndromes home to you no doubt. I worked pediatrics in nursing for some time......i was sick every 2 months for the first few years. Eventually, my immune system adjusted and antibody development caught up.

Check the thread out i posted though. Some specific ingredients can significantly lessen the length of a viral syndrome. :D

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've finally recover my my little ones virus attack.... I went to see the doctor on Thursdays and he tells me i have strep throat and gives me 2 shots (one in each side) of penciling right there on the spot...

the night before and 2 after i had fever, luckily i my fever only hit at night, but it made for very long nights... all in all antibiotics have kicked in and I'm fully recovered.... I'll hit the gym Wednesday morning

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Trauma: I've printed that for my wife to read as well..

Dormant: make sure your back to 100% before getting back into the gym bro!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trauma: I've printed that for my wife to read as well..

Dormant: make sure your back to 100% before getting back into the gym bro!
Cool, good luck bud. :)

I myself HATE being sick. :sick:

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if its a relient source but I heard on another forum that eating lots of protein enriched foods will help from getting sick..im just throwing it out there

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I currently have a pretty bad cold.

Would anyone like to share their thoughts on UMCKA? :)

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
I currently have a pretty bad cold.

Would anyone like to share their thoughts on UMCKA? :)
so do i!..all tihs talk about preventing a cold,what about if you got one?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia Echinecia

I hope I spelled that right :D

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
too late. I'm sick. I'm just gonna slam myself with sudafed and be done with it.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Never noticed a diff from it....
Once you feel a cold coming on, your supposed to take small doses of Echicecia every few hours until it goes away.

That dosing method has worked for me in the past.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yes I agree about Echinacea, I had forgotten about that one. The liquid extract seems to work better than capsules. There does appear to be a tolerance one gets to the effects, like all the other remedies.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
My grandfather always says that the cure to the common cold is a shot of chicken soup and a bowl of whiskey...:drunk:

That'll solve pretty much any of lifes problems, if you ask me.:rofl:

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
My grandfather always says that the cure to the common cold is a shot of chicken soup and a bowl of whiskey...:drunk:

works for me every time!

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established

to be honest, I tried the bowl of whiskey approach yesterday (flask size bottle) and I'm feeling a lot better today :)

gmc4180

Awards
  • Established
POSEIDEN and Gut Health. These 2 products will keep you from getting sick and help BIG TIME with recovery.

Poseiden is probably the MVS (most valuable supplement) this time of year. It keeps you from getting sick, and gives you energy.

*** ADDED BONUS: Poseiden taken before and after drinking heavily (which happens WAY to much during the holidays) you are left waking up asking, "WHERE THE HELL'S MY HANGOVER"? :D Gut Health provides perfect synergy with this as well.