Giving Blood - AnabolicMinds.com

Giving Blood

1. Senior Member

Question Giving Blood

I've never done this before and would like to on Thursday. I've read that it typically takes 45 mins...

Is there anything I need to know that might be useful for a bloody virgin?

What particular supplements need to be dropped (if any) beforehand?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Be as hydrated as you can before you go it. This speeds up the process. Your RBC count (hematocrit) has a big effect on how fast you go. The lower the better. Eat a high carb meal before you go too.

Usually takes me about an hour and 15 minutes, but my hematocrit runs a bit high.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  216 lbs.

The waiting process usually take the longest (from anywhere from 15-45 minutes, somtimes hgher) this also can depend on the organization. Then you have donor registration and and the actual blood donation. When I give blood I useuallly take less than 10 minutes for the actual blood draw. Do not pump so hard during the donation, do soft continues pumps. If you pump hard you may feel faint at the end of the donation. This is for a regular whole blood donation. Other types of donation are different. But it doesn't hurt and if it does not not hesitate to inform your technician that you are feeling discomfort.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Yea I should clarify that what I said was true for donating Plasma, not whole blood. I've never given whole blood before.
  5. Senior Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    Yea I should clarify that what I said was true for donating Plasma, not whole blood. I've never given whole blood before.
    What are tha different benefits to each?

Would donating plasma help rid tha body of heavy metals / toxins like whole blood?

SUPPLEMENTS... what to drop? I would think fish oils could pose a problem. I'm dropping them after today, anything else?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Fish oil actually speeds up the process.The thinner your blood the faster the process goes. Giving plasma wouldn't clear the body of any heavy metals. Only benefit to that is you get paid for it and you can do it twice a week. Only thing I'd drop is any hormonal stuff.
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyToad View Post
    What are tha different benefits to each?

Would donating plasma help rid tha body of heavy metals / toxins like whole blood?

SUPPLEMENTS... what to drop? I would think fish oils could pose a problem. I'm dropping them after today, anything else?
    Nothing to worry about as far as supplements go.. only thing they usually ask about is aspirin.

Usually I am in and out in about 30-40 minutes. The actual blood draw takes 10 minutes, but the paper work / registration process takes some time. they basically check to make sure your blood clots properly and that you are not anemic; blood pressure, temperature, etc.

You also get a free cholesterol test (from most places) which is avail online a few days later.

I usually give blood after my workout (the bus comes to my gym every 60 days)... i usually get lightheaded afterwards, so make sure you have a solid meal and dont try to walk too far (ie dont go grocery shopping)

The other good thing to keep in mind is that they have to tell you if they cannot use your blood. So if you dont get any contact... you know you dont have aids, hepatitis, etc. good peace of mind
  8. Senior Member

Donate blood every month if you can, its good for you, and it saves lives. Plus you fucking wasted off a few beers if you drink that same night.
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Palo Alto Labs View Post
    Nothing to worry about as far as supplements go.. only thing they usually ask about is aspirin... they basically check to make sure your blood clots properly
    This is why I brought up fish oil. I've been experimenting lately going as high as 15 grams a day. Asprin and fish oil are blood thinners. Wouldn't fish be a problem due to clotting? I'm not quite sure if CLA would have an effect...

What's up with tha hormonal recommendation? I've been using Powerfull and 8 caps SuperCissus.
  10. Senior Member

they prick your finger to check for iron content, not really for clotting.
  11. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    they prick your finger to check for iron content, not really for clotting.
    You arm may bleed forever though.
  12. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyToad View Post
    You arm may bleed forever though.
    Unless your on warfarin or Coumadin, I wouldnt worry about it.
  13. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

There is a 56 days requirement between whole blood donations in Canada. Many others have given great advice; be as hydrated as possible. Carbs before and after help. Have a shake ready for Post-Blood Donation (PBD lol.. I like!)

Oh and for some fun, contract your legs and abs and you can donate is as fast as 2.5 minutes! (Usual is about 10-15).
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

I give whole blood, havent in awhile. But I enjoy it, knowing I am making a huge difference for once for someone.

Do drink ALOT of water, and start drinking more once you give. Also, dont jump or thrash around after you give. I feel dehydrated for about 2 days after I give. Its like 25 minutes for me to give.... whats this hour stuff? other than the wait.

Been awhile since I gave, but its always been to the Red Cross.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  216 lbs.

Normally when you do a theraputic apheresis donation is when you get a prescription from your doctor because you have to high of an iron level and it needs to be reduced but they do not use this blood. The different types of donation are Whole Blood,RBC, platelet apheresis and plasma. Whole blood should take the shortest time and is what most people give. There are eligibility requirements such as what countries you have been to and personal questions. As far as supplements go I believe as long as you have not beed injecting anything into your system yo should be fine. I believe it is more so to do with the use of needles than the actual supplement used because they should screen you against any drugs that are prohibited. Also there is a way for the to detect the use of steroids. Powerful and Supercissus should not be a problem. I do not theink Powerful would change your dopamine level to an extent that would have an affect on donating. Your hematocrit has to be at least 38 but they do not spin it done unless your finger prick doesn't sink to the bottom of the copper sulfate solution. Also the differnt types of donations have different donation intervals. Like state before whole blood is 56 days and platelets are every 2 days.
  16. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    There is a 56 days requirement between whole blood donations in Canada.
    Same thing in the states, I just jump around between donation centers. i dont always give every month, but giving a couple months in a row makes me feel rejuvenated.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  220 lbs.

when I first started lifting, I was still living under the roof of the 'rents. they would pay for food, gas, tuition, basically what I needed to get to school and back day in, day out. they disapproved of me getting a job, b/c afraid of taking away from my study time.
    I needed $$$ for creatine and protein
    SOLUTION
    donate plasma!
    50 bucks a week into my pocket and then off to GNC (I know...)
    And if you give with your non-dominant arm, you can do homework with the other.
  18. Senior Member

Update...

All went extremely well and I plan on giving more when and where I can. My blood pressure was pretty low (which surprised me) and was given some gatorade prior.

Once hooked up it only took approx. 5 mins to give... 40 mins from start to finish. Iron levels tested at a 42.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Training after giving blood
    By mattikus in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 06:57 PM
  2. Giving blood/plasma
    By redemption79 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 06:54 PM
  3. giving blood while on
    By WhatsaRoid? in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16