Becoming a Personal Trainer?

avenue Red

Awards
Hey guys. I have become a nutrition fanatic as well as finally being consistant on working out 5-6days a week with school and work. Thanks to most of you guys and bad things in my life. I saw a thing about ISSA and certification for being a Personal Trainer. I was wondering... Do gyms like 24 hour fitness or monster gym or golds gym even require you to have a certification or do they just go by how you look to get the job?

I would love to do personal training for anyone as i have fell in love with helping people lose weight and being comfortable with themselves as I have tried so hard over the last year. Any comments welcome.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys. I have become a nutrition fanatic as well as finally being consistant on working out 5-6days a week with school and work. Thanks to most of you guys and bad things in my life. I saw a thing about ISSA and certification for being a Personal Trainer. I was wondering... Do gyms like 24 hour fitness or monster gym or golds gym even require you to have a certification or do they just go by how you look to get the job?

I would love to do personal training for anyone as i have fell in love with helping people lose weight and being comfortable with themselves as I have tried so hard over the last year. Any comments welcome.
certs are nice to have, but if you know the right people, you could go on without them for awhile. I would say just study hard then take the tests....its not really expensive.

Bigger gyms may want the certs, because of issues of being presentable and covered legally..

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
I just completed the Issa. The gym I go to asked me to train for them, cert was required to join the staff. Check out Issa.com for more info..

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i have ISSA, i liked the course it was decent

i also have SMART cert which is from dave palumbo, supposedly recognized too.

study hard and take the exam

avenue Red

Awards
thanks guys. ya i was thinking of ISSA but i heard about NSCA just recently from a friend who works at a gym and said its the best one. im gonna have to look into it. how do you guys like being certified? do you think it helps with your own workouts? and extra money?

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
is ascm the one that used to require a bachelores degree in physical education, kinesiolgy, etc. at one time?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
so If while I get my education degree(history) I went ahead and studied and earned me a physical education degree(how long would I have to go back for?) that would be great for being a PT?

I know you study an take the tests, how hard are jobs to come by?

JAGShaw

JAGShaw

Awards

I'm right there with you man. I've been amped since I've been training hard for the past 7 weeks. I was planning to go to this personal training school in NY, but ISSA is definitely the way to go. It's only a fraction of what that ridiculous school wants