Bill Cosby on Blaming White People

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Bill Cosby on Blaming White People


    Bill Cosby said this, sometime in the last 7 years or so

    They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: Why you ain't, Where you is, What he drive, Where he stay, Where he work, Who you be... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.
    Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.
    People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around. The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.
    I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? Or who is his father?
    People putting their clothes on backward: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong? People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something? Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?
    What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.
    Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight
    different 'husbands' - or men or whatever you call them now. We have millionaire football players who cannot read. We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us. We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.
    We cannot blame the white people any longer.
    Its pretty interesting, and matches how I feel. The only reason I came across it is that some idiot forwarded me an email about Bill Cosby as a write in for president campaign, so i went to snopes.com to check it out. It was false as I figured, but this came up with cosby as well, as true so I read it.


    Some of the interesting stuff to go along with it, commentary by others

    While the criticisms voiced by Bill Cosby are greeted by some as a long-needed airing of problems everyone recognizes but no one talks about, others regard them as unfairly saddling lower-income blacks with sole responsibility for their plight. "He unerringly and wrongly blames the poor. He seems to think that if they would only change their minds, all their problems would go away," said Ronald Walters, director of the African American Leadership Institute at the University of Maryland.
    Is Ronald Waters insane? Cosby never says anything like that. What he says is that the parents need to be involved, and promote learning.

    Critics also fear that citing failures of lower-income blacks to make the most of educational opportunities and to eschew choices that limit potential for success (poor use of language, early parenting, often unpartnered) gives white people the much-welcomed easy out of declaring themselves devoid of any responsibility for the cause or continuation of black poverty in America: "See? It's not us that puts them in the ghettos or keeps them there, it's them." Such disavowal, while comforting to those who instinctively seize it when it appears to have been offered, ignores the possibility of racial economic disparity's being the result of a combination of contributing factors rather than an either/or "If you did it, then I didn't" proposition.
    Just as crazy. the fact is that without black parents being invovled in their childrens learning process, their children won't learn. There is no way for any outside group to make up for parental involvement. Its that simple and always has been. Any community that values learning also ends up with higher income, lower teen pregnancy rates, etc. Nowhere does bill cosby say that this means that the rest of the united states has no responsibility at all, just that the responsibility for raising a child comes from their parents, and its a responsibility that doesn't get used enough in black inner city communities.

    Last, Cosby's black-negative assessments could, as some have pointed out, serve as confirmations long sought by racists of their view that African-Americans are inherently incapable of helping themselves, which they would hold up as proof of their theory of black genetic inferiority.
    Even crazier! The very nature of what cosby says is directly non-racist. The concept includes the belief that genetically black people are every bit as capable of learning as any other racial group, but their social grouping isn't encouraging it so that the children aren't learning at the same rate as children with more parental involvement.


    Some other things he said as well.
    "Stop waiting for a leader. Get Up! Tell your friends. And if they can't get up, we must see about them because they are true victims ... It's time to study four hours a day with your children. Teach them how much they'll be worth when they have A's instead of F's."
    Nobody says this is the only thing that needs to be done, but i dont believe there can be any permanent solution without the black community doing more to encourage fathers to spend more time with their kids, and the parents in general spend more effort on their childrens early education. Knowledge will be one of the things that breaks the viscious circle of poverty, without knowledge it will just continue.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum


  2. good find. and i agree. its so much easier to blame someone else though. its a hard sell to convince anyone to take fault with themselves.

    "when chasing shadows, beware of chasing the one you yourself cast".
    •   
       

  3. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    good find. and i agree. its so much easier to blame someone else though. its a hard sell to convince anyone to take fault with themselves.

    "when chasing shadows, beware of chasing the one you yourself cast".
    For sure, but there is no way an "external only" solution will ever work either. I one pointed I volunteered as part of a program putting donated computers into community centers in poverty neighborhoods for kids to learn to do stuff with. And although there were lots of kids who did use there, there also were some kids whose parents yelled at them for being pussies and not playing basketball and sitting inside all day. Nothing the city/county/state/federal government can do will make up for bad parenting or tacit community approval of bad parenting or uninvolved parents. The 7 kids by different fathers is maybe stretching it a little, but 3 kids by different fathers is relatvely common.

    Sometimes people look at me as if i'm crazy when I say this, but I believe at least a partial solution to that is requiring some sort of temporary sterilzation to collect welfare benefits, like the norplant implant for women, less sure for men. If you have 1 kid you can't afford, you have no place having a 2nd to have the state have to pay for the birth, new housing for the larger family, plus food and pediatric bills.

    Smaller families means more time for parents to spend on their kids. I can say with 3 kids that i'm glad their ages are spread a good bit as it helps a little, but its still nearly impossible to work plus give them all good amounts of my time.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  4. Well said Easy and good find. I agree with you completely. Its a similar situation here in the UK. No one wants to take responsibilty for anything let alone their childs education. It is always someone elses fault. At some point the black community needs to come out and say we are not doing enough for our kids, lets stop blaming other people and try and better their lives.

  5. Wow, I Cosby just summed up how society has become...

    And there is no way to get them to take responsibility, not without forcing it....like with a child, you cant fix the issue unless you force the issue....but this is America...the land of the free.....where you are free to be worthless to your society if you so decree....and pick up drugs or stealing, because you cant make more than 8.50 an hour because you didn't want to stay in English class...too bizzy making those 6 kids you owe child support on....but will never pay...

    bah... Freedom is an illusion to most people, because in their "freedom" they chain and shackle themselves to everything that can bring them down and make life miserable.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post

    Freedom is an illusion to most people, because in their "freedom" they chain and shackle themselves to everything that can bring them down and make life miserable.
    Good point.

  7. Cosby is the man.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    Freedom is an illusion to most people, because in their "freedom" they chain and shackle themselves to everything that can bring them down and make life miserable.

    Damn straight. Very nice quote

  9. Bill Cosby is right!

  10. I like how he wants blacks to accept personal responsibility for their own problems instead of blaming the man (white man). It's a true reflection of ones own prejudice. It's so true that you are a product of your environment. I choice to rise above "black stereotypes" but now considered by most blacks an Uncle Tom. So what darkie! LOL
    •   
       


  11. I like The Bill Cosby Show.
  12. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    I like how he wants blacks to accept personal responsibility for their own problems instead of blaming the man (white man). It's a true reflection of ones own prejudice. It's so true that you are a product of your environment. I choice to rise above "black stereotypes" but now considered by most blacks an Uncle Tom. So what darkie! LOL
    Whats sort of funny about that is that none of the other racial or religious minority groups that I can think of have a term similar to "uncle tom". Hispanics will abuse someone verbally who is starting to act like they are important, but thats a little different the "you too good for your aba now with your big job?" kind of thing.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  13. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Whats sort of funny about that is that none of the other racial or religious minority groups that I can think of have a term similar to "uncle tom". Hispanics will abuse someone verbally who is starting to act like they are important, but thats a little different the "you too good for your aba now with your big job?" kind of thing.
    You're so right!

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    You're so right!
    Dude you need to get a clue.

    :bruce3:

  15. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Whats sort of funny about that is that none of the other racial or religious minority groups that I can think of have a term similar to "uncle tom". Hispanics will abuse someone verbally who is starting to act like they are important, but thats a little different the "you too good for your aba now with your big job?" kind of thing.
    We abuse people verbally when people act important?

    I think this issue has nothing to do with race. Black people aren't the only ones in poverty. Poverty is not discriminatory it touches people of every color or whatever other way people want to categorize humans.

    His main idea: education is correct, but I completely disagree about "taking the neighborhood back." It's 2008 people, I think we are beyond the whole concept of racial unity by now. People need to unify together regardless of differences and make a change.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Fastone View Post
    Dude you need to get a clue.

    :bruce3:

    Need to get a clue on what!

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    We abuse people verbally when people act important?

    I think this issue has nothing to do with race. Black people aren't the only ones in poverty. Poverty is not discriminatory it touches people of every color or whatever other way people want to categorize humans.

    His main idea: education is correct, but I completely disagree about "taking the neighborhood back." It's 2008 people, I think we are beyond the whole concept of racial unity by now. People need to unify together regardless of differences and make a change.


    You make a great point.
  18. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    We abuse people verbally when people act important?
    I've seen that happen sometimes, thats the closest thing I could think of that was similar to calling someone an uncle tom, and its not very close.

    And I dont think think he so much was looking for racial unity to help, so much as for it to stop hurting. black racial unity against the white man gets the neighborhoods nowhere, as it gets used as an excuse to shirk responsibility "i can't get a job cause the man is holding me down" from the person not looking for a job, or trying to learn new/better skills.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  19. I like The Cosby Show.

  20. I remember when the Cos made these statements,... The black community at large was upset here in Philly. That being said, he made some good points. I just believe the youth of today has nothing to really look up to,... Well they do but it's easier to be a hood than an upstanding citizen. The elders aren't exactly setting great examples, and it perpetuates over and over again. To many followers,.. not enough leaders.
    Think training's hard,. try losing!

  21. I think that Bill Cosby has always been recognized as a Genius, not simply because of his erudite, timely, comments,but by the courage of his convictions and his sense of social conscience

  22. Great quote by Cosby. I've read it before, but definitely worth reading again.

    Too bad the write-in candidacy is fake - that's something I would've looked into and considered seriously.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***

  23. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I've seen that happen sometimes, thats the closest thing I could think of that was similar to calling someone an uncle tom, and its not very close.

    And I dont think think he so much was looking for racial unity to help, so much as for it to stop hurting. black racial unity against the white man gets the neighborhoods nowhere, as it gets used as an excuse to shirk responsibility "i can't get a job cause the man is holding me down" from the person not looking for a job, or trying to learn new/better skills.
    I've seen an indian family condescend to everyone in their path that wasn't indian, but that does not give me the right to generalize the whole indian community.

    I've never come across those attitudes here in california, but I know we have a different culture than other states. However, that type of problem lies in any type of categorization. "I didn't get the job because I'm a female and he was a chauvinist pig," "I didn't get the job because I'm young and he was old," "I didn't get the job because they saw me as a dinosaur," etc. People need to accept responsibility for their own life. Period.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    I've seen an indian family condescend to everyone in their path that wasn't indian, but that does not give me the right to generalize the whole indian community.

    I've never come across those attitudes here in california, but I know we have a different culture than other states. However, that type of problem lies in any type of categorization. "I didn't get the job because I'm a female and he was a chauvinist pig," "I didn't get the job because I'm young and he was old," "I didn't get the job because they saw me as a dinosaur," etc. People need to accept responsibility for their own life. Period.

    I am your average, hard working, bust my butt, white college kid...the results? since I am not a minority, I get the disadvantage at everything.....

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    I am your average, hard working, bust my butt, white college kid...the results? since I am not a minority, I get the disadvantage at everything.....
    I don't think you get the disadvantage at everything, probably just some things. Afirmative Action is the reason and I don't agree with all of it.

  26. Unfortunately people get brainwashed into believing all kinds of crap and lies. It becomes a part of the culture, a sort of "trance" that people live. People have to start doing their own thinking and quit scapegoating others. It becomes a collective of ignorance, groups of people believing every thing they are told, without a shred of critical analysis. What happened to the once courageous American culture? We were once admired.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    I am your average, hard working, bust my butt, white college kid...the results? since I am not a minority, I get the disadvantage at everything.....
    List your disadvantages DIRECTLY related to the way you see yourself (average, hard working, white, college kid). I'm curious.
  28. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    being /living ghetto is a state of mind not so much a race or income issue
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  29. This goes beyond "ghetto", I encounter caucasions who dont speak proper english, dont brush their teeth, wash their hands or clothes. They openly insult others in public, use profanity every where they go. They have no respect and no self respect. Like the Jerry Springer show, in real life, nation wide!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. White People Gona RIOT, and Imma Join EM!!!
    By Zero V in forum Politics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 02:36 AM
  2. POLITICS, vote for Cosby!
    By snagency in forum General Chat
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 10:48 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 12:14 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Log in
Log in