EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bill Cosby said this, sometime in the last 7 years or so

They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: Why you ain't, Where you is, What he drive, Where he stay, Where he work, Who you be... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.
Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.
People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around. The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.
I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? Or who is his father?
People putting their clothes on backward: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong? People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something? Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?
What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.
Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight
different 'husbands' - or men or whatever you call them now. We have millionaire football players who cannot read. We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us. We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.
We cannot blame the white people any longer.
Its pretty interesting, and matches how I feel. The only reason I came across it is that some idiot forwarded me an email about Bill Cosby as a write in for president campaign, so i went to snopes.com to check it out. It was false as I figured, but this came up with cosby as well, as true so I read it.

Some of the interesting stuff to go along with it, commentary by others

While the criticisms voiced by Bill Cosby are greeted by some as a long-needed airing of problems everyone recognizes but no one talks about, others regard them as unfairly saddling lower-income blacks with sole responsibility for their plight. "He unerringly and wrongly blames the poor. He seems to think that if they would only change their minds, all their problems would go away," said Ronald Walters, director of the African American Leadership Institute at the University of Maryland.
Is Ronald Waters insane? Cosby never says anything like that. What he says is that the parents need to be involved, and promote learning.

Critics also fear that citing failures of lower-income blacks to make the most of educational opportunities and to eschew choices that limit potential for success (poor use of language, early parenting, often unpartnered) gives white people the much-welcomed easy out of declaring themselves devoid of any responsibility for the cause or continuation of black poverty in America: "See? It's not us that puts them in the ghettos or keeps them there, it's them." Such disavowal, while comforting to those who instinctively seize it when it appears to have been offered, ignores the possibility of racial economic disparity's being the result of a combination of contributing factors rather than an either/or "If you did it, then I didn't" proposition.
Just as crazy. the fact is that without black parents being invovled in their childrens learning process, their children won't learn. There is no way for any outside group to make up for parental involvement. Its that simple and always has been. Any community that values learning also ends up with higher income, lower teen pregnancy rates, etc. Nowhere does bill cosby say that this means that the rest of the united states has no responsibility at all, just that the responsibility for raising a child comes from their parents, and its a responsibility that doesn't get used enough in black inner city communities.

Last, Cosby's black-negative assessments could, as some have pointed out, serve as confirmations long sought by racists of their view that African-Americans are inherently incapable of helping themselves, which they would hold up as proof of their theory of black genetic inferiority.
Even crazier! The very nature of what cosby says is directly non-racist. The concept includes the belief that genetically black people are every bit as capable of learning as any other racial group, but their social grouping isn't encouraging it so that the children aren't learning at the same rate as children with more parental involvement.

Some other things he said as well.
"Stop waiting for a leader. Get Up! Tell your friends. And if they can't get up, we must see about them because they are true victims ... It's time to study four hours a day with your children. Teach them how much they'll be worth when they have A's instead of F's."
Nobody says this is the only thing that needs to be done, but i dont believe there can be any permanent solution without the black community doing more to encourage fathers to spend more time with their kids, and the parents in general spend more effort on their childrens early education. Knowledge will be one of the things that breaks the viscious circle of poverty, without knowledge it will just continue.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
good find. and i agree. its so much easier to blame someone else though. its a hard sell to convince anyone to take fault with themselves.

"when chasing shadows, beware of chasing the one you yourself cast".

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
good find. and i agree. its so much easier to blame someone else though. its a hard sell to convince anyone to take fault with themselves.

"when chasing shadows, beware of chasing the one you yourself cast".
For sure, but there is no way an "external only" solution will ever work either. I one pointed I volunteered as part of a program putting donated computers into community centers in poverty neighborhoods for kids to learn to do stuff with. And although there were lots of kids who did use there, there also were some kids whose parents yelled at them for being pussies and not playing basketball and sitting inside all day. Nothing the city/county/state/federal government can do will make up for bad parenting or tacit community approval of bad parenting or uninvolved parents. The 7 kids by different fathers is maybe stretching it a little, but 3 kids by different fathers is relatvely common.

Sometimes people look at me as if i'm crazy when I say this, but I believe at least a partial solution to that is requiring some sort of temporary sterilzation to collect welfare benefits, like the norplant implant for women, less sure for men. If you have 1 kid you can't afford, you have no place having a 2nd to have the state have to pay for the birth, new housing for the larger family, plus food and pediatric bills.

Smaller families means more time for parents to spend on their kids. I can say with 3 kids that i'm glad their ages are spread a good bit as it helps a little, but its still nearly impossible to work plus give them all good amounts of my time.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Well said Easy and good find. I agree with you completely. Its a similar situation here in the UK. No one wants to take responsibilty for anything let alone their childs education. It is always someone elses fault. At some point the black community needs to come out and say we are not doing enough for our kids, lets stop blaming other people and try and better their lives.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I Cosby just summed up how society has become...

And there is no way to get them to take responsibility, not without forcing it....like with a child, you cant fix the issue unless you force the issue....but this is America...the land of the free.....where you are free to be worthless to your society if you so decree....and pick up drugs or stealing, because you cant make more than 8.50 an hour because you didn't want to stay in English class...too bizzy making those 6 kids you owe child support on....but will never pay...

bah... Freedom is an illusion to most people, because in their "freedom" they chain and shackle themselves to everything that can bring them down and make life miserable.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Freedom is an illusion to most people, because in their "freedom" they chain and shackle themselves to everything that can bring them down and make life miserable.
Good point.

JAGShaw

JAGShaw

Awards
Freedom is an illusion to most people, because in their "freedom" they chain and shackle themselves to everything that can bring them down and make life miserable.

Damn straight. Very nice quote

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
I like how he wants blacks to accept personal responsibility for their own problems instead of blaming the man (white man). It's a true reflection of ones own prejudice. It's so true that you are a product of your environment. I choice to rise above "black stereotypes" but now considered by most blacks an Uncle Tom. So what darkie! LOL

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like how he wants blacks to accept personal responsibility for their own problems instead of blaming the man (white man). It's a true reflection of ones own prejudice. It's so true that you are a product of your environment. I choice to rise above "black stereotypes" but now considered by most blacks an Uncle Tom. So what darkie! LOL
Whats sort of funny about that is that none of the other racial or religious minority groups that I can think of have a term similar to "uncle tom". Hispanics will abuse someone verbally who is starting to act like they are important, but thats a little different the "you too good for your aba now with your big job?" kind of thing.

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
Whats sort of funny about that is that none of the other racial or religious minority groups that I can think of have a term similar to "uncle tom". Hispanics will abuse someone verbally who is starting to act like they are important, but thats a little different the "you too good for your aba now with your big job?" kind of thing.
You're so right!

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
We abuse people verbally when people act important?

I think this issue has nothing to do with race. Black people aren't the only ones in poverty. Poverty is not discriminatory it touches people of every color or whatever other way people want to categorize humans.

His main idea: education is correct, but I completely disagree about "taking the neighborhood back." It's 2008 people, I think we are beyond the whole concept of racial unity by now. People need to unify together regardless of differences and make a change.

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established

I think this issue has nothing to do with race. Black people aren't the only ones in poverty. Poverty is not discriminatory it touches people of every color or whatever other way people want to categorize humans.

His main idea: education is correct, but I completely disagree about "taking the neighborhood back." It's 2008 people, I think we are beyond the whole concept of racial unity by now. People need to unify together regardless of differences and make a change.

You make a great point.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've seen that happen sometimes, thats the closest thing I could think of that was similar to calling someone an uncle tom, and its not very close.

And I dont think think he so much was looking for racial unity to help, so much as for it to stop hurting. black racial unity against the white man gets the neighborhoods nowhere, as it gets used as an excuse to shirk responsibility "i can't get a job cause the man is holding me down" from the person not looking for a job, or trying to learn new/better skills.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I remember when the Cos made these statements,... The black community at large was upset here in Philly. That being said, he made some good points. I just believe the youth of today has nothing to really look up to,... Well they do but it's easier to be a hood than an upstanding citizen. The elders aren't exactly setting great examples, and it perpetuates over and over again. To many followers,.. not enough leaders.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I think that Bill Cosby has always been recognized as a Genius, not simply because of his erudite, timely, comments,but by the courage of his convictions and his sense of social conscience

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great quote by Cosby. I've read it before, but definitely worth reading again.

Too bad the write-in candidacy is fake - that's something I would've looked into and considered seriously.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I've seen that happen sometimes, thats the closest thing I could think of that was similar to calling someone an uncle tom, and its not very close.

And I dont think think he so much was looking for racial unity to help, so much as for it to stop hurting. black racial unity against the white man gets the neighborhoods nowhere, as it gets used as an excuse to shirk responsibility "i can't get a job cause the man is holding me down" from the person not looking for a job, or trying to learn new/better skills.
I've seen an indian family condescend to everyone in their path that wasn't indian, but that does not give me the right to generalize the whole indian community.

I've never come across those attitudes here in california, but I know we have a different culture than other states. However, that type of problem lies in any type of categorization. "I didn't get the job because I'm a female and he was a chauvinist pig," "I didn't get the job because I'm young and he was old," "I didn't get the job because they saw me as a dinosaur," etc. People need to accept responsibility for their own life. Period.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I've seen an indian family condescend to everyone in their path that wasn't indian, but that does not give me the right to generalize the whole indian community.

I've never come across those attitudes here in california, but I know we have a different culture than other states. However, that type of problem lies in any type of categorization. "I didn't get the job because I'm a female and he was a chauvinist pig," "I didn't get the job because I'm young and he was old," "I didn't get the job because they saw me as a dinosaur," etc. People need to accept responsibility for their own life. Period.

I am your average, hard working, bust my butt, white college kid...the results? since I am not a minority, I get the disadvantage at everything.....

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
I am your average, hard working, bust my butt, white college kid...the results? since I am not a minority, I get the disadvantage at everything.....
I don't think you get the disadvantage at everything, probably just some things. Afirmative Action is the reason and I don't agree with all of it.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately people get brainwashed into believing all kinds of crap and lies. It becomes a part of the culture, a sort of "trance" that people live. People have to start doing their own thinking and quit scapegoating others. It becomes a collective of ignorance, groups of people believing every thing they are told, without a shred of critical analysis. What happened to the once courageous American culture? We were once admired.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
List your disadvantages DIRECTLY related to the way you see yourself (average, hard working, white, college kid). I'm curious.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
being /living ghetto is a state of mind not so much a race or income issue

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
This goes beyond "ghetto", I encounter caucasions who dont speak proper english, dont brush their teeth, wash their hands or clothes. They openly insult others in public, use profanity every where they go. They have no respect and no self respect. Like the Jerry Springer show, in real life, nation wide!

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
Just to mention, I am Hispanic, I strongly believe that I have received more critizism and put down by people in my own culture. I grew up in a small town in Texas with a population of 2000. My parents, hard-working people, giving all that they had for us (children) to have a better education/life than they did, we were/are critize by our own race, such as: "whites wanna be" "they think they are better than us" "they are stuck up" and the list goes on.

I personally believe that it is within onself to want to a change. My parents, both left their family by the age of 8 for to help their family financially. Both of them came from dad's who were alcoholics and would "drink up" all their money. Once they got married, they decided to break the cycle and strive for a change. The change was not easy, wasn't a peice of cake. In result, they broke the circle and have given us a better life.

.....have I mention that I really enjoy The Cosby Show.

cheloz28

cheloz28

Awards
  • Established
Same here man, I'm hispanic living in a tough part of Los Angeles. Since I've changed so much from my High school ways of thinking all my peers will call me a "wannabe white boy" and other names.. It gets old pretty fast and you come to realize that these people dont want to change and will be stuck living the ghetto cycle. I also get negative vibes since my GF is Italian/Irish, but suprisingly all these vibes come only from my quote on quote "my people".

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
Same here man, I'm hispanic living in a tough part of Los Angeles. Since I've changed so much from my High school ways of thinking all my peers will call me a "wannabe white boy" and other names.. It gets old pretty fast and you come to realize that these people dont want to change and will be stuck living the ghetto cycle. I also get negative vibes since my GF is Italian/Irish, but suprisingly all these vibes come only from my quote on quote "my people".

Yeah man and it suck. I look back and say, you guys can do it too. But they want it handed to them. It gets old and frustrating. I like to go back home and hangout and see people who I grew up and even family but I dont get the same response like I used to. I do feel bad for those who dont have the resources.

cheloz28......you going to college bro?

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
being /living ghetto is a state of mind not so much a race or income issue
I agree, but income does have a direct relation to it and it also perpetuates the lifestyle.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
What you guys speak of is jealousy. Which affects everyone and is not limited to any "race." Do you really think only latino people are jealous of others who are trying to better their lives? Think for a moment and don't be so naive. Don't allow yourself to become sucked in to this "race" ****. It's ****ing garbage.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, but income does have a direct relation to it and it also perpetuates the lifestyle.
there are plenty of poor people who dont act that way, so you cant call it a diect relation. i grew up on salvation army clothes and free school lunches. using income is still just another excuse, lack of valuing education and societally valuable skills is the real issue.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I remember when the Cos made these statements,... The black community at large was upset here in Philly. That being said, he made some good points. I just believe the youth of today has nothing to really look up to,... Well they do but it's easier to be a hood than an upstanding citizen. The elders aren't exactly setting great examples, and it perpetuates over and over again. To many followers,.. not enough leaders.
Bill Cosby made those statements to the black community because he is black and cares. The folks that didn't like it need to look in the mirror and see if the shoe fits. That being said, some of his comments could be used in talking about young people in general, however, it's easy to look at others and say yeah that's them when there are things going on in your own community that are just as bad.

:bruce3:

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
You aren't the only one to grow up poor and free lunches. I wouldn't speak of it unless I actually lived through it.

The statistics of crime and poverty are immense. You can look them up anywhere you want. They all tell the same tale. Poverty = crime. Before you can value education, you must be sustainable. Who cares about a PHd when you LITERALLY don't know what and when your next meal will be?

It's a matter of needs and, sadly but true, life comes before education. You can't value education if you cannot afford a loaf of bread.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You aren't the only one to grow up poor and free lunches. I wouldn't speak of it unless I actually lived through it.

The statistics of crime and poverty are immense. You can look them up anywhere you want. They all tell the same tale. Poverty = crime. Before you can value education, you must be sustainable. Who cares about a PHd when you LITERALLY don't know what and when your next meal will be?
Poverty doesn't equal crime. Crime is higher in poverty stricken areas. If poverty equaled crime, china and india would be chock full of crime, as 95% of their citizens life in such abject poverty its nearly unimaginable. And its not the case there. So poverty doesn't equal crime, we've just in our softness allowed that to be an excuse for it.

It's a matter of needs and, sadly but true, life comes before education. You can't value education if you cannot afford a loaf of bread.
You have nothing else to do with your time if you can't afford a loaf of bread (as you obviously aren't working), so how about moseying on down to the free public library, and taking advantage of what they offer? Or spending the time making sure your kids take advantage of the library so they dont end up in the same place when they are older? And it doesn't take a PHD for a person to be self sufficient jobwise, it just takes learning any of a number of skills, and being willing to accept starting at the low end, and increasing your skills. Of course you have to actually show up, and not be high or drunk too.

Its exactly that sort of defeatest viewpoint you espouse that both keeps people there in poverty and ghetto rather than them taking a look at what opportunity is out there and taking advantage of it.

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established

Yeah man I know what you mean. When your girl looks better than they do, they have the mentality like "another while girl taken our black men. Haters!

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Poverty doesn't equal crime. Crime is higher in poverty stricken areas. If poverty equaled crime, china and india would be chock full of crime, as 95% of their citizens life in such abject poverty its nearly unimaginable. And its not the case there. So poverty doesn't equal crime, we've just in our softness allowed that to be an excuse for it.
I was obviously a little loose with my statement of poverty = crime. And, I agree that it is NOT an excuse for crime to foster. However, regardless of what you and I believe, it is still a reality. I find that interesting (the China case) and I wonder why our culture (U.S.) poverty leads to crime.

You have nothing else to do with your time if you can't afford a loaf of bread (as you obviously aren't working), so how about moseying on down to the free public library, and taking advantage of what they offer? Or spending the time making sure your kids take advantage of the library so they dont end up in the same place when they are older? And it doesn't take a PHD for a person to be self sufficient jobwise, it just takes learning any of a number of skills, and being willing to accept starting at the low end, and increasing your skills. Of course you have to actually show up, and not be high or drunk too.

Its exactly that sort of defeatest viewpoint you espouse that both keeps people there in poverty and ghetto rather than them taking a look at what opportunity is out there and taking advantage of it.
Now, let's take this into consideration. If you DON'T have a job why wouldn't you be LOOKING for a job? How much sense does it make to educate yourself when in the end you still don't have food nor a means to feed yourself.

Your idea is good, theoretically, but it is an idealism. This nation is not going to all get up and pick up a book to satiate their hunger. Please.

I don't have a defeatist perspective, but thank you for pointing a finger at me as the sole problem of this nation. What I'm saying and have been saying is that this isn't a "BLACK" problem. This isn't a "BROWN" problem. This is a problem. I've been trying to explain that this problem of young people not voting, not educating themselves, being disrespectful, and perpetuating cycles of crime and other bad life-styles is a problem that affects EVERYONE.

When and where did I say it was okay for people to not be productive?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Hatred, fear and enmity are timeless emotions that transcend all barriers. The root of these is ignorance. We have to rise above the tide of ignorance. We have to ask ourselves why ignorance is being collectively fostered and foisted upon us. Hate and fear mongering are well known tools used by fascists to destroy nations. Compassion is the only weapon I can think of against this insidious social trend. These people, and Im talking about all racial classes, see what they are told to see, not what is really there. Imagine how dangerous a sub-culture of collective ignorance could be, especially if guided by those in power. Is history repeating itself? Awareness is the first step in combatting this "fad" and people in this thread are aware that something noxious is taking place in our country.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't help when our own government partakes in these fascist practices.

cheloz28

cheloz28

Awards
  • Established
Hatred, fear and enmity are timeless emotions that transcend all barriers. The root of these is ignorance. We have to rise above the tide of ignorance. We have to ask ourselves why ignorance is being collectively fostered and foisted upon us. Hate and fear mongering are well known tools used by fascists to destroy nations. Compassion is the only weapon I can think of against this insidious social trend. These people, and Im talking about all racial classes, see what they are told to see, not what is really there. Imagine how dangerous a sub-culture of collective ignorance could be, especially if guided by those in power. Is history repeating itself? Awareness is the first step in combatting this "fad" and people in this thread are aware that something noxious is taking place in our country.
:clap2::goodpost:

I'll be going back to school this spring Manny1010.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Imagine how dangerous a sub-culture of collective ignorance could be, especially if guided by those in power.
Isn't that what the democrat party is all about? give the people at the low end little bits and driblets to keep them happy (the old bread and circuses trick of roman times) but make sure they never manage to leave the cycle of where they are stuck and move upwards?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now, let's take this into consideration. If you DON'T have a job why wouldn't you be LOOKING for a job? How much sense does it make to educate yourself when in the end you still don't have food nor a means to feed yourself.

Your idea is good, theoretically, but it is an idealism. This nation is not going to all get up and pick up a book to satiate their hunger. Please.
tell me how smoking crack satiates that same hunger? Tell me how many of the people we are talking about actively actually are looking for a job? Does having 5 or 6 children by different fathers somehow satiate it? No, in the defeatist world they just give up and dont try either, so its not like they dont have the time. They just choose to spend what they do have (time) wastefully instead. Do they feed themselves better by remaining ignorant? Long term analysis says they dont. so maybe THEY should take some initiative and fix their lives.

I don't have a defeatist perspective, but thank you for pointing a finger at me as the sole problem of this nation. What I'm saying and have been saying is that this isn't a "BLACK" problem. This isn't a "BROWN" problem. This is a problem. I've been trying to explain that this problem of young people not voting, not educating themselves, being disrespectful, and perpetuating cycles of crime and other bad life-styles is a problem that affects EVERYONE.

When and where did I say it was okay for people to not be productive?
By accepting that the poverty causes their crime which causes their poverty. By them being stuck in a "viscious circle" which they can't get out of on their own. Thats defeatist. Every person has a responsibility for their actions. This isn't the sort of probelm that the outside world can fix. If you gave everyone in the ghetto $100k, it wouldnt solve it as they'd buy escalades with rims, jewelery, etc and by 3 days later they'd be broke again, and back to holding up liquor stores or selling rock for cash.

You can't excuse a person for taking a pipe and beating an 85 year old woman with it to steal her purse a side effect of poverty. Its an action of a person with no respect for society or human life and it wasn't poverty that made him act that way, it was his local societal group that tought him not to care about others. It was the lack of his parents being involved in his life, or even attempting to teach him how to act civilized. And it doesn't take money to do any of that, only desire.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
tell me how smoking crack satiates that same hunger? Tell me how many of the people we are talking about actively actually are looking for a job? Does having 5 or 6 children by different fathers somehow satiate it? No, in the defeatist world they just give up and dont try either, so its not like they dont have the time. They just choose to spend what they do have (time) wastefully instead. Do they feed themselves better by remaining ignorant? Long term analysis says they dont. so maybe THEY should take some initiative and fix their lives.

By accepting that the poverty causes their crime which causes their poverty. By them being stuck in a "viscious circle" which they can't get out of on their own. Thats defeatist. Every person has a responsibility for their actions. This isn't the sort of probelm that the outside world can fix. If you gave everyone in the ghetto $100k, it wouldnt solve it as they'd buy escalades with rims, jewelery, etc and by 3 days later they'd be broke again, and back to holding up liquor stores or selling rock for cash.

You can't excuse a person for taking a pipe and beating an 85 year old woman with it to steal her purse a side effect of poverty. Its an action of a person with no respect for society or human life and it wasn't poverty that made him act that way, it was his local societal group that tought him not to care about others. It was the lack of his parents being involved in his life, or even attempting to teach him how to act civilized. And it doesn't take money to do any of that, only desire.
:clap2: very very very well said Easy. Again people are always looking for excuses instead of taking responsibility for their own actions. Just because your old man was a bum doesn't mean you have to be.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Isn't that what the democrat party is all about? give the people at the low end little bits and driblets to keep them happy (the old bread and circuses trick of roman times) but make sure they never manage to leave the cycle of where they are stuck and move upwards?
Im not speaking about political party or race, Im speaking about a mind set. I do get your point and appreciate that you are thinking in objective terms.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
lol, this thread is full of a lot of people who are racist and don't even know it. This is a much bigger problem then just saying its part of a single culture. This is part of how everyone's culture fits together and how economics effects people. For most of what cosby said you can pretty much replace "black people" with "low income" people throughout that paragraph and it all pretty much fits...

and EasyEJL, are you African American?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, this thread is full of a lot of people who are racist and don't even know it. This is a much bigger problem then just saying its part of a single culture. This is part of how everyone's culture fits together and how economics effects people. For most of what cosby said you can pretty much replace "black people" with "low income" people throughout that paragraph and it all pretty much fits...

and EasyEJL, are you African American?

I'm a mixed bag, italian, french, and scattered eastern european (more or less Ukranian + Russian). I dated white, black and brown girls when I was single, married a brown one :) Race is totally irrelevant to me, it is all about how you are raised, what (or even if) you are taught to respect. Thats the job of your parents, not the government. And having money or being poor doesnt affect that. My dad's father abandoned his family of 6 kids when my dad was 6. all of the kids started doing odd jobs, delivering newspapers, carrying groceries, etc to make money so they all could eat. My dad is illiterate as he stopped going to school by age 8 doing those odd jobs, but that didn't stop him from teaching me decent values, and the value of me educating myself. He had hard times keeping a job as he had skills as a mechanic only and didn't believe in unions, and mom at best worked part time, so we ended up with me on and off on free school lunches, and dinner was usually "outlet" bread (the bakeries like hostess had outlets where they took back the bread that went out of date at stores and resold it), pasta, and on and off chicken, with (on a week where dad was working and had overtime) once in a blue moon some steak. Salvation army for clothes, flea market shopping for appliances and crap around the house, etc. But they tought me respect, and to value learning, and that doesn't mean getting a phd (I dont even have an associates degree). Learning can be just learning to be a good carpenter by becoming an apprentice and spending your time learning to be the best carpenter you can....

Racism is

racism
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
none of which I see being talked about here. Its about a lack of parental involvement in the ghetto neighborhoods. And ghetto neighborhoods aren't just inner cities, but trailer parks too.