Pets for college

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Whats up guys? Lookin to get a pet for college. Im wanting something other than a bird, fish, rodent. I have been looking into getting some type of cat and making it badass, not a wuss. and i have also been looking at bearded dragons.

what would yall/have yall had as pets?

I live in an apartment if that helps.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
A snake, i've got 2 ball pythons, if you play with them enough they're as friendly as any animal out there. My oldest one recognizes my voice, and will come to me when i let him out in the yard.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went the lame route with fish. Had one of the real tiny sharks, in fact several as they all died within a couple of days. I say Iguana, funky little buggers

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
yeah we also looked into chameleons. I think if i went reptile route though it would be a bearded dragon. Im not a fan of snakes really. Im mainly interested in a lap cat that is pretty matienence free. do yall know anyone who has had one in an apartment just fine?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you get an indoor cat, just make sure that you take care of the nails, otherwise you can go through a lot of decorative stuff awfully fast.

Most people I know who have had one in an apartment have been ok, as long as your landlord is cool with it

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
If you get an indoor cat, just make sure that you take care of the nails, otherwise you can go through a lot of decorative stuff awfully fast.

Most people I know who have had one in an apartment have been ok, as long as your landlord is cool with it
yeah it would be strictly indoor. do yall have an idea of how much shots, vet appointments, ect are? I have no clue as im a newbie pet owner

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
get a shih tzu :woohoo:

lizards are cool too, I had an iguana when I was a kid but I didn't take good care of it and it died, but a kid down the street had one that lived awhile and got absolutely huge. Hope you are ok with all the hurricane ike stuff going on

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go with a cat for sure. Cool pets and easy to maintain overall. They basically care for themselves for the most part. The perfect set-up for the college student. :)

Well........the bearded dragon does sound cool though, lol. :afro:

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I had a chinchilla in my dorm. Still have him actually.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Dwarf hamsters rock. I got 2.. boy and a girl.. Girl's a bit<h.

but yeah, I agree with T1, go for the cat!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
get a lion cub......thats a nice lil kitty.

Hope you guys are ok from the hurricane. We got hit by the winds, 84 out of 88 counties in ohio are in a state of emergency. most places still dont have power.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Cats are the ****. Very self-sufficient, and hilarious in an a-hole way.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
what kind of cat is that?
some tabby i picked up at the animal shelter. i was volunteering there for about 8 months, and he was there from the day i got there, till 8 months later. i felt so bad for him, because i think he scared everyone, so i took him home. 14 pounds of coolness.

he follows me and the kids on walks - usually about 1/2 a mile from the house and all the way back. the scary thing about him is when he yawns, you can hear his teeth click when his jaw closes. but the kids love him, so its all good.

here's a pic of him next to my son when he was still wearing twozies, and a picture of the beasts teeth...

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
My girlfriend and I have a tiny toy chihuahua. I got it when it was six weeks old. now it is about 5 months old or so. I trained it to pee and poop on pet diapers (mats)(the things you lay on the ground so they can use the restroom...forgot what they are called.) I have an 8 to 5 job, she stays in her room all day and uses the restroom no where else but on the pet mat. She is a great lil dog. She takes care of her self all day, we just leave food out for her and she'll eat throughout the day.

I am not a big fan of cats. I dont like cat hair all over the place, especially on my furniture, clothes and etc. but they are good pets, they do take well care of themselves .....and you dont have to shower them, vs a dog, you do. (There's another plus)

As far as shots, they (cat, dog) have to get about 4 to 5shots throughout the first year. Every visit is about 45 dollars and plus the shots. Then, there is the rabi shot, which is a little more expensive. Then if you dont want them to breed, thats another expense. (all this is what we have to go through with my lil chihuahua).

If you have time to train a dog, I'd say get a dog if not a cat or a lizzard or something.

You should get a parrot, that way, you have some to talk to when you are up late studying....just a thought. :D

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
yes, a parrot. you know, if you're in college, and you can train the parrot to say "hey pretty lady" every time a woman enters your room, its a great icebreaker and pickup line all in one.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
haha a parrot would drive me nuts. So if i get one that is older than a year, lets say a young cat 2-5 years old...i shouldnt have to worry about shots, ect?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
mine doesn't get shots. he brought me a bird that he caught yesterday. silly cat.

if you want a big cat, stop by the local animal shelters, or call them, and ask if they have any "bengal cats". there was one at the shelter close to my home that weighed around 16 pounds. they're by far the biggest of the housecats.

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
Suncloud-hadn't thought about the icebreaker suggestion. lol. Texaslifter - Then a parrot it is!

As a pet owner, you decide of you want your pet to have shots and etc.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Build a terrarium and get poison dart frogs!!

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
If you get a snake you can feed all the above pets to it ;)

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
yeah my best friend used to have a ball python and we would feed it mice and stuff

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
yeah my best friend used to have a ball python and we would feed it mice and stuff
Both mine are into rats now, eventually I would like to get a reticulated python, but they get 20+ feet, and I would need a whole room for that.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
too loud and big. i used to have a cockateal

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I swear my cat acts like a dog. He greets you when you come home, and he also loves playing fetch. Yes, this cat will go get it and bring it back to you, lol.

He's cool beans.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
ragdolls are cool. i have been looking into main coons. they are cool my girlfriends sister has one

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well all of those are rescue cats, so they may not be pure bred but they have all their shots, and are litter trained.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My cat is a rescue cat. :)

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
mine's a rescue too. i had a siberian once - similar to maine coone's. very furry. liked to sit in my lap all the time. not quite as big as the part abyssinian i have now. of course my abyssinian isn't quite as friendly either. but he's big, and scared the missionaries that came over once. thats always fun.

for size and availability, i still think bengals are the best - you can occasionally find them in shelters now - four years ago that was unheard of.