Where my graveshifters at!?

MuscleHeadGuy

Banned
Awards
Off to work... 12am to 8am.

I sometimes really dread my alarm waking me up at night. I think I might need an uncomfortable bed, which causes me to wanna get up and moving.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I used to do 10pm to 6am. I loved third, but you do get kinda disconnect from the rest of the world.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I worked 7pm-7am for almost 6 years. I feel ya buddy.

I don't miss feeling like sh*t all the time, but i do miss the differential money in nursing though. :D

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I work swing...either 530AM-530PM or vice versa...nice thing is I only work 14 days a month...

holy

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work (3) - 12 hour shifts/week myself. I love it because the extra time off is really nice, plus the ability to pick up overtime if so desired.

Working that way on nights definitely made it more tolerable overall, however that first day off was always a complete waste.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I have come to manipulate my sleep pretty well. When I get off my last night work, I stay up the entire day after...For example, I work Thursday night, I stay up all day Friday so that come Friday night Im ready to fall dead. Its the only way I can get turned around and be able to sleep at night again.

holy

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have come to manipulate my sleep pretty well. When I get off my last night work, I stay up the entire day after...For example, I work Thursday night, I stay up all day Friday so that come Friday night Im ready to fall dead. Its the only way I can get turned around and be able to sleep at night again.

holy
Yeah i adopted that same method. It was the only way to get back on track again.

I have to say, i'm liking the 7am-7pm shift much better though. :)

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
If I had to pick either days or nights, I would pick nights....Im not a day person at all, but better yet on nights there is never any "brass" around to nit pick ****...Of course, you find out real quick working nights that the rest of the free world basically works days.

holy

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally did like nights overall, but my wife likes it when i'm on a day schedule. I've always been a night person myself.

It's definitely an advantage working nights in the E.R.......no suits running around watching everything you do. :p

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
**** the night shift. i don't do it. won't do it.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I just got on the 2:45-11:30 shift, than I hit the gym after work usually so wired from the night, who needs to be restrianed, or who attempted to kick the crap out of me or fellow co workers, so I am up...:( It takes some getting used to , thank god my gym is 24 hours!!!!!!!!

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I've been on a 11pm-7am shift since 1999. Sometimes I think of going to a 1st shift schedule, but when I think of all the higher ups walking around I say screw it.

I've been on 3rd shift for so long all my family and friends are just used to it. I figure I'll go back to 1st shift once I retire.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I personally did like nights overall, but my wife likes it when i'm on a day schedule.
When my first son was born, my wife convinced me to make an internal move and go to straight days...I did it for 10 months, and I finally had to switch back because I couldnt take it anymore. Of course, I swing, so I only work 7 days and 7 nights each month....

holy

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
**** the night shift. i don't do it. won't do it.
ditto. i go crazy having to work a 9-6 schedule instead of a 9-5 schedule, let alone night shift and long hours. i don't know how people do it. my props to you all!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When my first son was born, my wife convinced me to make an internal move and go to straight days...I did it for 10 months, and I finally had to switch back because I couldnt take it anymore. Of course, I swing, so I only work 7 days and 7 nights each month....

holy
I know, i'm missing night shift already. :(

Who knows though, in time i may like the day shift life better. I said i'd give it 6 months anyway. :)

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I know, i'm missing night shift already. :(

Who knows though, in time i may like the day shift life better. I said i'd give it 6 months anyway. :)
I think for most people day works are just easier to deal with...you can go out at night, watch the games on TV, go to your kids events, etc...

I wouldnt rule out going to straight days again, but it would have to be a pretty good situation to go from working the gig Ive got now to do it.

holy

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established

holy

Yup, I do the same on saturdays. I love the night shift.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Lunesta is wonderful for switching my sleep cycle around.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
i just got done with 6pm to 6am..and now im doin day shift. gay

j4ever

Awards
right here baby been working 7p-7a for about 5 years now,kinda been kicking my a$$ lately,but i do like the fact that there is less management walking around and you are more on your on.

nspatten

nspatten

Awards
Same with Holy... Nights for two years now. Less Brass (there always near I guess). Can't sleep right now matter of fact. I work 14 days a month as well; however, I work from 6:45pm to 7:15am

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
4 years now on graveyard. was doing 7pm-7am for a year and various other times over the years but right now im 10pm-630am. Im sick of it i want off but nobody will switch with me. There are mandatory number of people on a shift and i just need one more person to be hired so my seniority will take over and i can get on another shift. Too bad my company isnt hiring WTF! Hate graveyard now, im disconnected as it is and being on this shift doesnt help. Overnights can be better if you get home before the sun comes up. 15cent differential doesnt help one fckin bit!

MuscleHeadGuy

Banned
Awards
I get no differential for working the graveyard shift, though I believe that I should. It's the shift that nobody wants. I sucked it up and took it. Hell, whatever it takes to pay the bills, for childcare, etc. I think it's bullshit that my boss saved the 4pm-12am shift for someone he hadn't even hired yet, but whatever. All I know is working the 12am-8am shift is really interfering with my personal life. I hardly have any life. Granted, I do get the weekends off, but working overnight isn't always easy. I'd feel much better if I were getting paid more, but that's only if the company wants to give everyone a raise. They're surprisingly cheap.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
For about a year I worked a shift from 5:50PM to 6AM 4 days a week when I worked at Sony many years ago. They gave us $1 per hour differential but it absolutely sucked for me. One of the worst parts for me was being up all night and sleeping all day even on my off days :fool2:

I did a research paper on shift work about 9 years ago when I was in school. There were these studies done that showed working nights takes 8 years off your life on average much in part from the circadian physiology being off :think:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get no differential for working the graveyard shift, though I believe that I should. It's the shift that nobody wants. I sucked it up and took it. Hell, whatever it takes to pay the bills, for childcare, etc. I think it's bullshit that my boss saved the 4pm-12am shift for someone he hadn't even hired yet, but whatever. All I know is working the 12am-8am shift is really interfering with my personal life. I hardly have any life. Granted, I do get the weekends off, but working overnight isn't always easy. I'd feel much better if I were getting paid more, but that's only if the company wants to give everyone a raise. They're surprisingly cheap.
at least you have weekends off. As a guy in his prime and still young i work every weekend at night so i REALLY have no life.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For about a year I worked a shift from 5:50PM to 6AM 4 days a week when I worked at Sony many years ago. They gave us $1 per hour differential but it absolutely sucked for me. One of the worst parts for me was being up all night and sleeping all day even on my off days :fool2:

I did a research paper on shift work about 9 years ago when I was in school. There were these studies done that showed working nights takes 8 years off your life on average much in part from the circadian physiology being off :think:
wow id like to see some of the sources for that info! that doesnt sound good for everyone in this thread! lol.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
lately there have been a TON of mandations, and i had 2 this week, 16 hour shifts, 2:45 to 7am, holy crap...!!!! i hate when people call out sick, and its your turn to be locked in

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The night shift differential in nursing is very good, which is why so many young nurses jump all over it initially. Usually $5-6 dollars/hour more. Weekend differential is also another 10%. :)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The night shift differential in nursing is very good, which is why so many young nurses jump all over it initially. Usually $5-6 dollars/hour more. Weekend differential is also another 10%. :)
wow thats a what i call a differential, an actual incentive to working odd hours, who woulda thought? Dude youre an RN? I wish i could have gone to school for that or something good in the medical field...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wow thats a what i call a differential, an actual incentive to working odd hours, who woulda thought? Dude youre an RN? I wish i could have gone to school for that or something good in the medical field...
Lol - Yeah. Just over 8 years now. You still can get back into school and do it bud. I'm actually looking at moving on to possibly a physician assistant role. Part of me really wants my M.D. though. I have quite a decision to make very soon myself, however i'm motivated to do it.

If you really desire to pp, get back in school and do it. It will be over before you know it. Furthering your education is always a great thing! :D

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
your right, even not being a nurse yet, the pay rates still apply to us MT's (milieu therapists) fancy title...:) thats why i do alot of OT, but the second into third shift mandations kill me............:( esp having lupus, messes my body up for a good 3 weeks

tc

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
your right, even not being a nurse yet, the pay rates still apply to us MT's (milieu therapists) fancy title...:) thats why i do alot of OT, but the second into third shift mandations kill me............:( esp having lupus, messes my body up for a good 3 weeks

tc
Stay strong TC! :)