Windows XP Virtual Memory Setting

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to call out to the AM geek squad for some help.

I recently upgraded my Ram from 256MB to 2G (2 x 1G). What a difference memory makes.

Well my wife just started a new at home data entry job and ran into an unrelated issue that was later resolved by her tech support.

But I tried to resolve it myself and did not. But I did come across something that I was moved to tinker with. In my - System Properties / Performance Options / Virtual Memory - I set my "Paging file size for selected drive" to "System managed size"

This did not hinder or reduce performance. But I do not know what the original setting were. Not only that I do not know how to reset them because when I enter them and "click" OK they it just defaults back to the "System managed size"

So what I want to know is, is the "System managed size" the best setting to have it at? The "Recommended" and the "Currently Allocated" suggests that it is not. But like I said I am having no issue that I can determine by performance at this point.

I have provided attachments of screen captures.

Please provide me with some direction on setting this to operate at optimum performance.

Attachments

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Windows XP does a pretty good job at managing the "page file" aka virtual memory, much better than previous versions of windows. I would leave it set at system managed except for "power users". Doing some Google searching should give you some options on what you could set it to manually to achieve a slight performance boost.

Normally, you must restart the computer for the settings to take effect.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're best set up with managed memory through the system. I've set my system in the past with a allocated size bu that was when memory was much smaller. With 2 gigs on XP, you're fine with that setup. Just reboot and you're golden.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I would just leave it how you have it, as I have never really seen any profound performance boost from increasing the page file if RAM was already sufficient. You may want to cut down on the number of processes that your computer boots up with though, most peoples PC benefit greatly from doing this. If you go to Start --> Run and then type in "msconfig" you will open a program that control's windows booting. Under the "start up" tab in this window you can unselect any un-needed programs from booting which will boost overall system performance for most users.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed...previous windows versions would grow the pagefile larger and large until your system literally crawled to a stop. XP seems to have the problem handed.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The google search help with resetting the Custom size. Thanks Shakes!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Agreed...previous windows versions would grow the pagefile larger and large until your system literally crawled to a stop. XP seems to have the problem handed.
Amen to that, I prefer to leave my comp on for long periods of time. I remember being forced to reboot cause nothing would work anymore. Hasn't been an issue since Win2k pro and XP

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would just leave it how you have it, as I have never really seen any profound performance boost from increasing the page file if RAM was already sufficient. You may want to cut down on the number of processes that your computer boots up with though, most peoples PC benefit greatly from doing this. If you go to Start --> Run and then type in "msconfig" you will open a program that control's windows booting. Under the "start up" tab in this window you can unselect any un-needed programs from booting which will boost overall system performance for most users.
I addition to resetting the page file size to the recommended 3058/4096 min/max and clearing out the start up it seems to be moving at a much swifter pace.

Thanks guys.