Crossfit?? Wtf

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
CROSSFIT I keep hearing about it, and suppose to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have never heard anything about it, maybe being in the close knit powerlifter trib I am in, we dont pay attention to these new, all the rage "fit" routines. But well at Recruit training I heard this is what the Marine Corps is going to. Also from what I hear this is what SF use, dont know how true that is, just something i have heard. ANyone know anything about this, or have you used it?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its all the rage with the general public right now. A lot of functional type movements.

There is a new workout posted everyday on: www.crossfit.com

I watched some of the vids one day. No idea if its even a progression type deal. Looks similar to PX90 or whatever that is, but I'm not certain.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Btw being a certified "crossfit" trainer is bringing in tons of clients to gyms in my area...

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I would do it but it requries a bunch of equipment that I don't want to spend for.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
i have been doing crossfit for about a month and probably in overall better shape i have ever been in. the workouts are pretty short but very intense. the workouts change all the time and most of it is functional. i was skeptical at first , but after one workout i was hooked.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have been doing crossfit for about a month and probably in overall better shape i have ever been in. the workouts are pretty short but very intense. the workouts change all the time and most of it is functional. i was skeptical at first , but after one workout i was hooked.
Do you like not knowing what your workout is going to be until the day it is posted? Or is it posted earlier somewhere?

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
i actually joined a crossfit gym. We have a trainer that makes up our workout and trains about 5 of us at a time. we really dont follow the workout of the day. you can make up your own, which is what most people do. but no you wont be able to find out what the workout is until that same day. its not your typical bodybuilding training. all i can say is give it a shot but would recommend going to a crossfit gym at first though. the intensity of these workouts are insane.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
CROSSFIT I keep hearing about it, and suppose to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have never heard anything about it, maybe being in the close knit powerlifter trib I am in, we dont pay attention to these new, all the rage "fit" routines. But well at Recruit training I heard this is what the Marine Corps is going to. Also from what I hear this is what SF use, dont know how true that is, just something i have heard. ANyone know anything about this, or have you used it?
Yes the Marine Corps is now using it, a lot of SEAL candidates are using the "WOD" along with the BUD/S warning order to prepare for BUD/S.

There's been criticism against it because it's "dangerous"...

Look at the average American, lazy, fat and not in shape cardiovascularly, no muscle endurance, etc...

You take someone like that and put them in a crossfit program, injuries will happen, take that same person put him on a beginner level calisthenics program, add low intensity cardio, replace with HIT 20-30 minutes eventually, add some weights, for 2-3 months AND then, introduce them to crossfit, and that same person will benefit greatly.

Crossfit is a great workout, however I don't follow any WOD, I formulate my own plan two workouts everyday, similar to crossfit before I ever heard it of it, except I use no weights or machines, just a pull up/dip station.

It's not the "Answer to everything" and it's not for everyone but it benefits greatly those who want or need this kind of workout.

I would do it but it requries a bunch of equipment that I don't want to spend for.
You can alternate some exercises and still get the benefit of crossfit, if you wanna do it, post a few sample workouts and what equipment you don't have and I'll post an alternate but similar routine, I almost use no equipment whatsoever, mainly calisthenics.

A weight vest that goes up to 120lbs is VERY helpful.

Do you like not knowing what your workout is going to be until the day it is posted? Or is it posted earlier somewhere?
You can skip a day, ie: on the 26th, do the workout posted on the 24th and on the 27th do the workout posted on the 25th, on the 28th do the workout posted on the 26th, etc..... that way, you'll never have to wait until someone posts it and if your internet is down for a couple of days you don't miss your workout.

Circuit calisthenics with weight vests and high reps are similar to crossfit, I tried both and still "seperate" them, I'll do a high rep intense calisthenics workout, followed by HIT or low intensity cardio and stopping sometimes to do some more calisthenics, different that crossfit principles but it's a killer workout, some days I'll do crossfit to change the pace to keep things interesting.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I have been looking into crossfit, I just watched a video of a crossfit gym in ohio.

they didnt stop moving, went from body slamming, to rope climbing, to all kinds of good stuff.....

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Going from Powerlifting to Crossfit would cause extreme withdraw symptoms. I highly recommended weaning yourself off of the good stuff (powerlifting) and then experimenting with crossfit.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love Crossfit! However with that in mind I don't "BB" I exercise for functional strength being that I'm in the military and my goals and needs are different than those of BB'rs. i.e. in Iraq doing my medical thing under fire I am not likely going to need to biceps curl anything, I will however need to get down, get up, climb over things run a whole lot and all with all my gear on.

A crossfit quote:
Cardiovascular/Respiratory endurance, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Agility, Balance, Coordination, and Accuracy.
You are as strong as your weakest link. This is fitness, not vanity.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I love Crossfit! However with that in mind I don't "BB" I exercise for functional strength being that I'm in the military and my goals and needs are different than those of BB'rs. i.e. in Iraq doing my medical thing under fire I am not likely going to need to biceps curl anything, I will however need to get down, get up, climb over things run a whole lot and all with all my gear on.

A crossfit quote:
Cardiovascular/Respiratory endurance, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Agility, Balance, Coordination, and Accuracy.
You are as strong as your weakest link. This is fitness, not vanity.
That's just something ugly people say.

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else think this was funny?

Sleepyred666

Banned
Awards
sounds like military police training is all itd be good 4

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else think this was funny?

lol, good point man.

This is something that looks like it could actually be a way to constantly improve every aspect of your physic and mentality. I found a local gym that looks promising, not sure yet though, dont have time or money atm.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
My squad does it for pt about once a week. Usually on fridays. Truck pulling, flipping tractor tires, running with logs, pull-ups, dips, sprints, kettle bells and DBs...All that fun stuff

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rugger/Sleepy had me :toofunny:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sounds like military police training is all itd be good 4
Mark twight the guy who owns Gym Jones and is responsible for all the 300 guys uses a system based on Crossfit (he just tailored it to each of the individuals specifically and turned up the notch) He also trains professional/world class athletes, olympians, mountain climbers etc. So you can get out of it what ever you need or want.

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am so sick of hearing about F'ing crossfit. I swear if I have to wait for another tard doing a set of 30 on deadlifts, there will be blood. You want to get in shape? Well, then go join an MMA gym, but don't forget to add in some heavy ass weight training as well.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are all kinds of ways to get in shape. It just depends on what your goals are and what excites you.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
crossfit is pretty good. i just finished my academy and the PT instructors implemented crossfit routines every so often (usually once or twice per week). i really liked it, but i haven't continued it on my own will. it's pretty intense, but you can also cheat yourself. if you go all out on these crossfit workouts, they can be very tough.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I am so sick of hearing about F'ing crossfit. I swear if I have to wait for another tard doing a set of 30 on deadlifts, there will be blood. You want to get in shape? Well, then go join an MMA gym, but don't forget to add in some heavy ass weight training as well.
Yup. Its garbage. Lift some heavy ass weight and do some goddamn cardio. O how I miss watchin the tards doing 30 rep deadlifts followed by a quick set of shoulder dislocating/bouncing/assisted pullups. :rofl:

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yup. Its garbage. Lift some heavy ass weight and do some goddamn cardio. O how I miss watchin the tards doing 30 rep deadlifts followed by a quick set of shoulder dislocating/bouncing/assisted pullups. :rofl:
Crossfit is being used in the military, Marine Corps, Canadian SF, Army SF, etc...

IMO, it's very similar to Matt Fuery's combat conditioning workout, MAX Calisthenics in no time limit, he illustrates almost 150+.

Usually it lasts around 30-45 minutes or so, more than the time of an average fight, weather MMA or Military/LE fight.

And before the crossfit craze, Tom Venuto also discussed this here,

Functional strength training vs bodybuilding

They're all very close and all very effective, but crossfit "just happened" to become the most popular one with the public, the most "user friendly" one of them all.

EDIT: Doing weights and then 70-80% HRM cardio is not the same as a crossfit type workout, the desired effect from the crossfit cannot be achieved by doing weights/80% cardio, but vice versa IS possible.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Crossfit is being used in the military, Marine Corps, Canadian SF, Army SF, etc...

IMO, it's very similar to Matt Fuery's combat conditioning workout, MAX Calisthenics in no time limit, he illustrates almost 150+.

Usually it lasts around 30-45 minutes or so, more than the time of an average fight, weather MMA or Military/LE fight.

They're all very close and all very effective, but crossfit "just happened" to become the most popular one with the public, the most "user friendly" one of them all.

EDIT: Doing weights and then 70-80% HRM cardio is not the same as a crossfit type workout, the desired effect from the crossfit cannot be achieved by doing weights/80% cardio, but vice versa IS possible.
I will stick to heavy ass compound lifts and cardio.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

How long do you think that an MMA training session lasts? It is very common to have them last 2+ hours and that's not including other cardio and weight training. The average HR during these sessions is in the 180-190 range during every round.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I will stick to heavy ass compound lifts and cardio.

And....?:think:

Crossfit is not being advertised for "everyone", if your goal is to get as big as possible with as little body fat as possible and that's it then, what you're doing now is probably most effective at that.

If your goal is to develop great fitness (strength, explosiveness, short endurance (20-40mins)etc.....) and as little body fat as possible and also add size, crossfit is most effective at that.

:smite:

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How long do you think that an MMA training session lasts? It is very common to have them last 2+ hours and that's not including other cardio and weight training. The average HR during these sessions is in the 180-190 range during every round.
True, I remember some sessions from Judo, Aikido and Muay Thai training, Muay Thai was the most brutal.

But, Combat Conditioing's Matt Furey already discussed this and try to get fighters ready for combat, then he would run them through dozens of combat conditioning exercises(calisthenics) MAX EFFORT and resting 10-15 seconds in between, no time limit, stop when you're done.

What he said is similar to crossfit, just no time limit and mainly calisthenics, IMO this makes more sense than 80% cardio (jumping rope, I used to do 1 hour 20 mins and be done, after calisthenics) and seperate weight training.

Instead it treats exercising the same way a fight would go, intense, no longer than 30 mins, Max effort, That's what I think is a better way to train and be combat ready, looking to fight locally just for fun, and this is the way I'll be training, with other exercises ofcourse.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
it's funny how strong some of these crossfitter critters are, yet you wouldn't even know it to look at em if you didn't see em doing it. now that IS functional strength. but me, i like some aesthetic, too. so, it's not quite for me.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Too often people look at Crossfit and immediate associate the program with the intense met-con workouts (metabolic conditioning, the HIIT style weight sessions). Although it certainly distinguishes it from other programs, that's not what its all about.

The title Crossfit implies exactly that, Cross-Fitness.... fitness across broad domains. The 10 domains of fitness are the backbone to Crossfit, and that is what we train for. In the Crossfitter's mindset, what good is a 400lb backsquat if you can't run a mile in under 7 minutes? And vice versa, what good is a sub-5 minute mile if you can squat 2x your bodyweight? It strives to excel at everything.. to be as physically capable as possible, ready for any challenge. "Specialization is for insects". Be able to do everything... gymnastics, to track and field, to olympic weight lifting. It's a way to get back in touch with what functionally works. No machines, no bicep curls, no elipticals. Effective training across wide domains... no fancy B.S.

The functionality is what hooked me. It just works. But a huge factor in its growing popularity is the competition factor. Many of the workouts, the met-cons, are "for time", or points are allocated. Fastest time wins, or the most points wins. People will absolutely destroy themselves to shave off 10 seconds, or will give it everything they got just to get in 5 more push presses in the time allowed. It's something else, as its made training into an actual sport. And as mentioned, the broad range of exercises combined in endless variations brings new challenges and literally fun workouts.

Best thing to do is try it if your curious about it. Just about every Crossfit gym offers a free first class, so you have nothing to lose. Check out Crossfit.com and hit the "Affiliates" page to search in your state.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Just a spare thought - I track my Crossfit workouts daily, and if someone out there is interested in the program but doesn't understand the seeminly random system, I'll be glad to post a log. Workouts will still appear to be randomized, but at least you could view it on a day by day basis (might do something, I have no idea).

And I meant to throw this out there before as well - if you ever have any questions about Crossfit, hit me up. I love talking about the program, and although I'm not a certified trainer, I'll do my best to answer any questions if you have them.

Edit - Posted a log to help give an example of an average Crossfit program ... http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/105088-crossfit-log.html#post1567516

Last edited:
CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's a link that I believe can explain the seemingly randomness of Crossfit. Graphs included.