eye laser surgery

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any one know the difference between lasic and lasek? Which one is better and what about wave front?

I am looking to do that in the near future and wanted to know what was best. 20-10 is the best right?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Can I get better than 20/10 like 20/5 or 20/2 like a hawk? Is it possible?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
most likely you will only get 20/20, the best you find mostly is 20/15

I am 20/15 with my contacts in. I am sure there are some freaks out there.....

Do some research, this vast thing called the web has alot of info. I don't know too much myself but I was thinking of doing it too in a few years.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I dont know the difference (or if there is any)...I work with a lot of older guys, and probably 4-6 of the have had the procedure done....all of them are happy as hell except one, and he hates it...says he sees "halos" around things at night....

holy

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
LASIK, which stands for laser in situ keratomileusis, was introduced in the mid-nineties and has largely replaced the older photorefractive keratectomy procedure, better known as PRK. Unlike PRK, where the surface layer of the cornea is scraped away to allow the reshaping of the underlying cornea, with LASIK a flap is made in the top cornea layer to permit access to the underlying cornea. LASIK avoids most of the problems of corneal haze, postoperative pain and slow rehabilitation seen in PRK, but complications are sometimes associated with the flap.

ive seen patients surpass 20-20 before with both procedures.
Do you suffer from myopia (near-sightedness)?

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I plan on getting this done in the future. Saving for it as we speak.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
I dont know the difference (or if there is any)...I work with a lot of older guys, and probably 4-6 of the have had the procedure done....all of them are happy as hell except one, and he hates it...says he sees "halos" around things at night....

holy
the halo thing could be from many things but doubt that its from the surgery itself.
if he hasnt followed up then he really needs to. that could be something very minor worse. sounds similar to a detaching retina

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
the halo thing could be from many things but doubt that its from the surgery itself.
if he hasnt followed up then he really needs to. that could be something very minor worse. sounds similar to a detaching retina
Aside from the bold, everything else is true. He should go get a re-eval.

Common complications:
dry eyes (caused by the surgery), induced astigmatism, over-correction or under-correction, ghost images (double vision), halos around light sources (generally at night), light sensitivity.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I get that too, but its not from eye surgery....
Ditto. Baseball bat to the face = torn iris (amongst other things) = lots of halos at night. :trout:

I should actually look into getting my iris fixed... It's been about 8 years since my injury; I'm sure optical surgery has come a long ways since then.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I had LASIK done 9 years ago.
It's not (or wasn't then) perfect - but it's a huge improvement.

I'd go back for a re-eval...but the doc is 1500 miles away.

If you get it, be prepared to wear sunglasses: the sensitivity of my eyes to sunlight has at least doubled, maybe tripled.