GED/Military

The Flash

The Flash

Awards
  • Established
Im not sure what to do. I will have to be a second year senior to graduate because i slacked off during my first 3 years. I was thinking of getting a ged but im not sure what kind of jobs you can support a family with if i get one. My other alternative was join some sort of military service for a while maybe like 3-5 years and then join a police force if they accept that kind of experience even if i have a ged. besides finishing highschool what do you guys think? maybe a trade school? loads of info and help would be highly appreciated. Thanks AM members

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
In the Navy as far as I know, if you also have 15 college credits you will be fin with a GED, but advice from the internet is advice from the internet, check with your recruiter.

Or Finish high school, go to college and work with a degree.

All depends on what you wanna do man, what is that?

The Flash

The Flash

Awards
  • Established
My goal was to obtain and keep a decent paying job of at least 50k a year, i was planning on just getting the ged and then enlisting in a military service so that i would have experience to become a police officer instead of going to college. Alternatives would be a trade school for a job.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Get your GED, take and smash the ACT if you haven't already. Colleges accept GED students all the time. High School diploma isn't necessary for Military Officer either; GED will suffice.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My goal was to obtain and keep a decent paying job of at least 50k a year, i was planning on just getting the ged and then enlisting in a military service so that i would have experience to become a police officer instead of going to college. Alternatives would be a trade school for a job.
You can become a Police officer without enlisting in the Military.

Here in FL, when you graduate from the Police Academy you end up with 30 college credits.

You wanna be a Police officer?

Where do you live?

The Flash

The Flash

Awards
  • Established
I live in Kansas City, Missouri, but the thing was i just wanted to see what paths im able to take if i go the GED route, but i dont plan on attending college, not sure what you mean about the 30 college credits for completing police academy =(, my dad was a police officer for 15+ years and made at least 50k+ a year so i always wanted to do that. Im just wanting to start making money get my own place and make enough to support my future family. My plan was to get a job that pays good and get a apartment and save up for like 5-7 years and have like 100k+ cash and buy a house in cash so i dont have to get a loan which will screw me over in the long run.

The Flash

The Flash

Awards
  • Established
Bro, i have 15.5 credits in highschool, it takes 10 more credits for me to graduate, in this year i can earn a maximum of 7 credits, that leaves me with 3 credits left to earn so i would have to be a 2nd year senior. If i can barely make it through highschool why would i try college let alone the price per classes... thats just getting set up for debts later on in your life.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You don't have to have a diploma to go to college as I mentioned before. You obviously haven't thought this out very well. If you're worried about taking a second senior year then you're in for a world of hurt on the outside. Stick it out and get your education. It would make for a great comeback story.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Minimum Qualifications: - Be twenty-one years of age upon completion of Academy training. - Be a United States citizen. - Must establish residency within the Kansas City, Missouri city limits by the completion of a six month probationary period. - Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalency. - Have at least 20/200 vision uncorrected, correctable to 20/20, with normal color vision. - Weight must be in proportion to height according to our department guidelines. - Must have a valid state issued drivers' license at the time of application; Valid Missouri Drivers License.

http://www.kcpd.org/kcpd2004/hotjobs.htm

I'm guessing you're not 21, contact your local Military recruiter.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd spend the second year as a senior and try. The additional credits would allow you to graduate at the end of the 1st semester, right? Regardless, if you have the option to be at home and finish high school, do it.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
do they have the dual credit program??? like where you can take college courses while a senior and get more credit?

btw, ged in the military will ban you from alot of jobs and is a big decrease in your bonus too.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I live in Kansas City, Missouri, but the thing was i just wanted to see what paths im able to take if i go the GED route, but i dont plan on attending college, not sure what you mean about the 30 college credits for completing police academy =(, my dad was a police officer for 15+ years and made at least 50k+ a year so i always wanted to do that. Im just wanting to start making money get my own place and make enough to support my future family. My plan was to get a job that pays good and get a apartment and save up for like 5-7 years and have like 100k+ cash and buy a house in cash so i dont have to get a loan which will screw me over in the long run.
No offense, but your future plan seems a little naive. Making 50k per year, you'd be lucky to save 100k in cash in 10 years and thats if you were skimping hardcore. Because making 50k a year means you're only taking home 36-38k. And to save 100k in 5-7 years that would be 14k-20k a year saved. I don't know about you, but I highly doubt you can live off the remainder of that. Just my two cents boss.

Finish High school, you don't want to limit yourself in the future because you didn't want to take a fifth year of school.

The Flash

The Flash

Awards
  • Established
No offense, but your future plan seems a little naive. Making 50k per year, you'd be lucky to save 100k in cash in 10 years and thats if you were skimping hardcore. Because making 50k a year means you're only taking home 36-38k. And to save 100k in 5-7 years that would be 14k-20k a year saved. I don't know about you, but I highly doubt you can live off the remainder of that. Just my two cents boss.

Finish High school, you don't want to limit yourself in the future because you didn't want to take a fifth year of school.
First off, 50k a year this is after taxes are gone, during this time i would be in a one bedroom apartment with rent at around 500$, utility 100$, food 400$, So roughly i would be spending at least 1500$ a month adding car insurance,health ins.,etc. 1500X12= 18k a year spent, with probably leniency of another 2k to spend on whatever, 20k spent a year, with another 30k saved per year i would save up for a few years and buy a house down in cash, not trying to sit on money because i would still have a job after i paid house off in cash to pay for utility, food, extras. But anyway back to the GED, i talked to my school counselor today and she said they have a GED and a GED option, she said the option is the exact equivalent of a high school diploma and when you fill out resumes you can put you graduated from this high school. Some of you are questioning my path no offense to any of you, you've all been very helpful but im just tired of depending on everyone else, i want to be able to go out and support my self on my income. Thanks guys your all very helpful.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
good luck to you... im sure it will all work out

ward0351

ward0351

Awards
In case you were planning on joining the best, you can't join the Marine Corps with a GED. However, everyone else will accept it.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
In case you were planning on joining the best, you can't join the Marine Corps with a GED. However, everyone else will accept it.
isnt that funny considering marines dont get real jobs.... well unless you plan on being a grease monkey or something that wont pay well.
marines = no money in the long run

edit:
my bad... its not true. marines will take ged's and its the air force thats most strict on it. heres the link
U.S. Military FAQ -- I have a GED. Am I eligible to join the military?

Last edited:

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The Marine Corps being the department of the Navy, don't they follow the same rules being if you have 15 college credits, they over look the GED?

"However, if a recruit has 15 or more college credits, he/she is in the exact same enlistment category as a high school diploma holder"

Ha, Right as usual :D

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
The Marine Corps being the department of the Navy, don't they follow the same rules being if you have 15 college credits, they over look the GED?

"However, if a recruit has 15 or more college credits, he/she is in the exact same enlistment category as a high school diploma holder"

Ha, Right as usual :D
if a recruit has 15 or more college credits, he/she is in the exact same enlistment category as a high school diploma holder.

found that in the link i posted above

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
isnt that funny considering marines dont get real jobs.... well unless you plan on being a grease monkey or something that wont pay well.
marines = no money in the long run

edit:
my bad... its not true. marines will take ged's and its the air force thats most strict on it. heres the link
U.S. Military FAQ -- I have a GED. Am I eligible to join the military?
Black water, personal security, LE, re-enlistment :D, etc......

Yeah, Marines don't get real jobs....no one with a combat MOS does....:lol:

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
omen, your a smart man
I hope you know I was being sarcastic.....you can have a combat MOS and work for Mcdonalds when you get out or you can make a lot of money if that's your thing, relativity isn't just a theory sometimes.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
I hope you know I was being sarcastic.....you can have a combat MOS and work for Mcdonalds when you get out or you can make a lot of money if that's your thing, relativity isn't just a theory sometimes.
right ofcourse... my point is there is no certifications. you cant transfer your job training to credit courses.
example: 3 years as a ranger medic got me 52 credits in college. droped my packet almost two years ago now and im in my residency. the marines dont have programs like that

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes they do... The transfer of credits isn't certain branches only. It's taking your experience and transferring it to credits. I work with a Marine that did just that.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
Im not trying to recruit you with this but, I will soon be starting me second enlistment term, and I have no regrets. I joined straight out of highschool and joined the army infantry. I wanted the experience as a ground pounder before moving into another MOS and ended up loving the infantry. I joined with a HS Diploma(GED is also accepted), and I will soon be going to college for free payed for by uncle sam. Military experience opens all sorts of options as a civilian, or you might end up being a lifer in the military. Honestly, things will be however you want them to be. Maybe you're up for it, maybe not. Just stay motivated and stick by your choice.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Choose a career based on pay and it is you who will pay in the end. Take a job you love, even if it means you wont be rolling in the dough. Life is too short to worry about bills and money.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Life is too long to constantly wory about bills and money too :) Find a nice balance between what you want to do and what you want to be able to afford to do. If you can find a job you don't 'love' but offers enough money and time off to accomplish the things you do love, then you'll be fine.

It's all about balancing what's important to you.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
agreed. But i am going to be a teacher, and a missionary. My life is unique a bit. Ever seen a lifter missionary? I feel like im out of place....

Anyhow definitely go to college. And also remember its not a race. So many people burn themselves out to retire at 40 years old.

The Flash

The Flash

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the loads of responses you guys definitely helped me out alot. My goal was to figure out a good plan for my future so i wouldn't have to live paycheck to paycheck like my dad, i don't want everyday of my life to be a struggle with bills and money. So thanks guys, i think i'm going to get my ged, enlist in a military branch yet not sure which one unless anyone has any recommendations, but serve in the military have them pay for college and either get a criminal justice degree or business degree, i know there completely opposite but if one doesn't work the other will. Thanks guys big reps to all am members.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the loads of responses you guys definitely helped me out alot. My goal was to figure out a good plan for my future so i wouldn't have to live paycheck to paycheck like my dad, i don't want everyday of my life to be a struggle with bills and money. So thanks guys, i think i'm going to get my ged, enlist in a military branch yet not sure which one unless anyone has any recommendations, but serve in the military have them pay for college and either get a criminal justice degree or business degree, i know there completely opposite but if one doesn't work the other will. Thanks guys big reps to all am members.
Join guard or reserves so you can stick around in your local area (maybe) and graduate HS whilst serving. Study for and take the ACT as most colleges do require this or the SAT. After you get your diploma begin to take a few college courses on your own dime. Get out of the mil, get GI bill and rake in the cash.

PS- if you're already having trouble in high school who is to say you're even smart enough to attain a GED? Don't be a fool, stay in school.