Why I could never be a bodybuilder...

tehockey

tehockey

Awards
Before I start, let me begin by saying that I have nothing but the most respect for bodybuilders both professional and amateur. I admire their size, strength, power, poise, presence and most of all, their undying determination. That being said, here's why I could never do it:

Time: Bodybuilding is a 24 hour sport, one of the many reasons that I have so much respect for those who call themselves bodybuilders. Unlike other sports where training ends when you step off the field or the film reel ends, bodybuilding never stops. When you're not training, you're eating. When you're not eating, you're preparing your next meal or timing everything for the next day. I struggle just to go to school/work a full day, get work done around the house, get my workout in, do homework and hopefully have a little time to relax. To be able to make the time needed to accomplish everything simply is beyond my means. This often makes it hard to get the right food into my system that I need to grow. Most of the time I'm able to get it done, but most of the time isn't good enough for a bodybuilding. We all know that nutrition is #1,:food: and if it's not perfect, neither will you. Also, 8-9 hours of sleep just isn't realistic with my life. I'd love to get that much, but if I can get 7 it's a damn good night.

Schedule: This really builds on the last statement. As a full time student, my schedule is both extremely busy but more difficult is how erratic it is. During the summer when I'm working (now) is my time for really building some mass because I have a relatively set schedule. This makes it possible to eat what I want/when I want and NEVER miss a workout. However, managing my workout life with my school life is a constant struggle. Between long nights at the libraries, student org meetings and surprise business group meetings, it's next to impossible to set a routine schedule and stick to it. Because of this, getting the nutrition and training I need is an everyday battle and I'd be lying if I said I never miss a workout.

Alcohol: I'm a 21 year old that goes to the 2006 party school of the year as rated by Playboy magazine:head: haha quite an honor I know (University of Wisconsin for all you non-readers) I'm not a party animal by any sense of the term, but a social life is part of my school's culture and who I am and I simply could never give up a glass of wine with dinner or a night out at the bars with friends. Also, on a professional level...this guy that used to work in my department was a huge health nut...didn't look in shape or strong, but a health nut:think: Anyway, the department would often go out for drinks after work and he would never come. I truly believe that distancing yourself like that from your peers can have serious adverse effects on your career. Just my thought.

Speedo!: This goes without saying. Not that I'm self-conscious, but I could never get up in front of people like that. I have to imagine all bodybuilders, at some point in their career, have had nightmares about popping wood while flexing up on stage.

Bodybuilders have all of these issues and more. Thank god I don't have a mortgage yet!! The fact that they can balance everything and still look the way they do simply amazes me. kudos to you

So there it is. not an excuse for a shortcoming, just an observation that I bet a lot of people share. That being said, I love the sport of weight lifting. I love the way it makes me feel, the way it makes me look, the compliments it brings and the fact that every day I wake up, I'm in the best shape of my life. For those of you that take it the the next step, I envy your dedication

I'd love to hear any comments, suggestions, criticism, whatever. Lift hard.

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
That post is all fine and well, just in the wrong section.

Sorry to hear bodybuilding isn't for you, I too am waiting to compete until more stable years as I'm currently 21. Granted it's rare I drink.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Moved this to General since it seems to better fit there.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a bunch of excuses. You don't think bodybuilders have gone to school and have had lives outside of the gym? Give me a break.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
not everyone necessarily wants to be a bodybuilder, nor is the lifestyle for everyone.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
i dont want to be a firefighter... think ill go to a firefighter forum and post why. haha sorry bro but this is redic to me

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldnt jump on the guy too much guys. What I gather is he has a lot of respect for BBrs because it's something HE couldn't do and wants to point out how much it takes for one to become one.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt jump on the guy too much guys. What I gather is he has a lot of respect for BBrs because it's something HE couldn't do and wants to point out how much it takes for one to become one.
true true.... jayhawks like the old chinese teacher. i apologize.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
jayhawk... rep for having equipment small enough to engage in fortune cookie sex

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ever wonder how they get the fortunes inside the cookie? I insert them with my wang...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, I don't get paid... I do it strictly for pleasure :)

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I partially agree with the OP. At least the lifelong aspect of it. I consider myself a recreational bodybuilder. I don't ever plan on competing, but I enjoy weightlifting and staying more fit than the average fit person. I definitely try to excell at anything I do or enjoy, but I definitely want to have a life outside of bodybuilding. It's such a demanding lifestyle. For what? So you can look in the mirror and say, "Ya, sweet pecs." - And even then we know it's not true, because rather than complement ourselves we constantly pick ourselves apart and are never satisfied.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Negged.......all of you, negged.
I know plenty of dinosaur BBers that have said if they could do it all over again, they wouldn't make bodybuilding their life. Most of them say it's just not worth it. There's more to life than muscle.

I've said before and will say again, I love bodybuilding. It's been great in my life and has really kept my focus on many things; however, when it becomes my main priority, I have never felt so small. I feel insecure, friendless, and depressed.

Family, Friends, Laughter, and Bodybuilding...In that order. There's enough time in the day for all of it.

tehockey

tehockey

Awards
Jayhawkk hit the meaning of my post on a dime. believe me, I wouldn't post something just so I can get flak from everyone else. I have the utmost respect for bodybuilders and their dedication to the sport

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Jayhawkk hit the meaning of my post on a dime. believe me, I wouldn't post something just so I can get flak from everyone else. I have the utmost respect for bodybuilders and their dedication to the contest

ficksed :lol:

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i will never open or eat another fortune cookie as long as i live :aargh:

tehockey

tehockey

Awards
so as long as we're on the topic of fortune cookies...I was at lunch with my co-workers last week and one of their fortune cookie messages said "pay closer attention to your workout regimen"

haha makes you wonder who writes those things, and more importantly, how do I get a job???

"You'll find true love on flag day"

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I could never be a bodybuilder because there's no physical contact or violence in this sport.

The main event is showing off what you've been doing all year, nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't excite me.

Hell, I don't even like or watch football, baseball, soccer, etc.....

Some UFC fights were the guys are going all out balls to wall with maximum aggression and determination to commit violence and as much destruction as possible....I'm glued.