Michael Phelps 12,000 Cal a day diet

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Michael Phelps is now the top Olympian of all time. Here's what it takes ... | Sport | The Guardian

US swimmer Michael Phelps made history yesterday when he scooped a record-breaking 11th Olympic gold medal. He has now topped the podium five times in Beijing. After his latest victory, he revealed the secret behind his six-days-a-week, five-hours-a-day training regime: an extraordinary 12,000-calorie daily diet, six times the intake of a normal adult male. This is a typical day:

Breakfast

Phelps kick starts his day and his metabolism with three fried-egg sandwiches, but with a few customised additions: cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and, of course, mayonnaise.

Amuse-bouche out of the way, he throws back two cups of coffee and sits down to an omelette - containing five eggs - and a bowl of grits, a porridge of coarsely ground corn. He's not finished yet. Bring on the three slices of French toast, with powdered sugar on top to make sure there's no skimping on the calories. And to finish: three chocolate chip pancakes.

Lunch

With breakfast wearing off and the hunger pangs biting, Phelps downs half a kilogram - ie a whole packet - of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches. On white bread with loads of mayo on top. To remove any chance that his body will run out of fuel, he washes this down with about 1,000 calories of energy drink.

Dinner

Time to load up on carbs for the next day's training. Another half kilo of enriched pasta goes down the hatch with a chaser of an entire pizza and another 1,000 calories of energy drinks. And so to bed. As Phelps told US television channel NBC yesterday: "Eat, sleep and swim, that's all I can do."

:pizza:

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
I dont know how anyone could swim after that.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if it really is accurate I would still guess that all that is not eaten in just 3 meals

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
No its real i saw it on my local news this morning, he is a fukcin beast. But swimming does take up a HUGE amount of energy(which is calories) also he is 6'2" isnt he?

That man could put it down....

RESPECT.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
makes me want to order a pizza and hop in the pool til it gets here.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If he is eating so ofter I wonder how he follows the 1 hour rule for swimming and eating ......:think: His mother must not have taught him that one when he was younger.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
If he is eating so ofter I wonder how he follows the 1 hour rule for swimming and eating ......:think: His mother must not have taught him that one when he was younger.
some people call bs on that rule. It never used to make a difference for me unless the meal was huge, until a couple years ago. Age issue I suppose.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Repost

I had an argument with my girlfriends parents about this tonight at dinner.

They are always trying to prove that 'my nutrition thing' is wrong. The news depicts this guy eating '10,000 calories' a day and look he is lean as any one i have ever seen.

My point was, beyond all.... the effects on his body must be terrible. He is speaking of a diet consisting of

1. Fried Food
2. Trans Fats
3. Heavy Saturated Fats
4. Very little lean protein
5. Simple Sugars
6. Processed carbohydrates

Not to mention the effects of simply eating this many calories.

AND this is all at the direction of his 'nutritionist'. She was interviewed on the show we were watching and said something about 'athletes need carbs!' and then they showed him eating 6 pancakes, off of the griddle, sopped in syrup with him scooping multi-Teaspoons of butter on to it.

What is this doing to his organs? Pancreas? Heart? Circulatory sytem? I could go on.

There is a difference between eating for health and eating for performance but i think (i know i am going to get flamed for this) this is inaccurate, inefficient, incorrect and ignorant.

The guy is obviously one of the best athletes ever but i 100% disagree with his dietary habits. But, who am i?

i have an idea, "www.thephelpsdiet.com". It would sell 'like hotcakes'.

What a f_cking joke...

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The one hour rule has no truth for me, I used to eat a big breakfast then go right in the pool after downing a bunch of OJ, never had any problems.

As for the calories, I was on the swim team for a long time and a water polo team very shortly, I remember eating huge amounts of food everyday, close to what is posted and people I know eating a whole freaking bag of pasta in one sitting, no ****.

I don't think he's lying, 12,000 calories a day is definitely doable for an olympian swimmer, you get so ****ing hungry after a 60 minute swim.....and if I remember correctly, in the documentary "What it takes" About triathletes, their training, life, diet, etc.... I'm almost certain the calorie number was close to that...

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Just so everyone knows, I was joking about the 1 hour rule lol.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I realize that he swims 5 hours a day 6 days a week and those aren't leisure laps either, but jeez. I just couldn't see my self even wanting to attempt to eat that much. His diet reminds me of the old coal fueled trains. You just keep shoveling in sh*t in to make it hotter and faster.

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
HOW DOES he drink 1,000 calories of energy drinks before bed and sleep....

this kid is he gene doped

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I doubt dinner is around his bed-time. I bet he eats all that crap and drinks the energy drinks and then vegges on the sofa.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established

well energy drinks are soft these days...for cals thats like 3 cans of rockstar which is barely 1.5 scoops of our every day preworkouts as far as stims go! i can work out come home eat and go to bed after all my oct ephedra and preworkouts drinks.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well energy drinks are soft these days...for cals thats like 3 cans of rockstar which is barely 1.5 scoops of our every day preworkouts as far as stims go! i can work out come home eat and go to bed after all my oct ephedra and preworkouts drinks.
I can do that with my normal pre-workout products for the most part, but definitely not after I've used ephedrine.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established

Yes, he is gene doping... :rolleyes:

If you have the perfect body to be a swimmer (long torso, long arm span, short legs, long feet, and i think they even say double jointed ankles) you must obviously gene dope, there is no possibility that he got lucky on his build...