New Ratings System

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As you can see in each forum, the ratings have changed. In each thread on the right side of the first post you will see a thumbs up/down. When you click this it gives the thread rating a +1/-1. If you vote thumbs up, the thread will get bumped up (and the number will reflect this). If you select thumbs down, it will get pushed down (and the number will reflect this). Everyone can vote.

We are going to try this out to see how well it works but keeping the good discussion going and the junk threads out of sight.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
This is cool. Really cool. Where is the thumbs up for this?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
oops..forum added.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting idea.
Thanks for the explanation...

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
Its not a bad idea, but its got its flaws. New posts since they have a rating of "0" get buried underneath anything with a positive rating. I'm already getting a bit frustrated looking for posts not with this system.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
i always read threads from the RSS feed, so where are these threads bumped from?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it will make newer posts kinda sink down.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
At first I thought this was the digg rating...

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
This doesn't make any sense. After just a short while, when there are enough positively rated threads to fill a page, new threads will be pushed off the front pages from the get-go. Seems very unproductive. Perhaps there could be a 'search' button that arranges all threads in rated order and would otherwise be back to normal.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is a limit...I'm not THAT out there...jeez

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It means there is still a time stamp basis. All new thread and posts will always show up on the page 1 as it moves less active ones (even though they are rnaked) as you can see here on page 2 with the ones on top and bottom.

Supplements - Page 2

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Oh I see. That's interesting. I guess we'll see how everyone adjusts to it. I do like the new negative reps feature.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We'll see.....I'll always keep the ratings (number value) but I just might remove the sorting based on rankings if it gets annoying.

For the most part the most active, best rated should hover to the top until they die out....well, thats the theory.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
But also in theory, wouldn't the most popular threads already hover around the top because they would be popular and hence be bumped with posts regularly?

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But also in theory, wouldn't the most popular threads already hover around the top because they would be popular and hence be bumped with posts regularly?
my thoughts...

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I just got back in and think i understand the new system. I think i liked better how the arrow would mean you posted in it, and if the thread deserved to be on top, the discussion would keep going to keep it at the top.

What about logs/reviews?

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
this is a nice addition to the site.... good eye candy!

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I know Im old school and tend to not like changes to the forums, but I do think its a different idea...nice to step outside the box.

holy

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ratings are there..rankings are off for now...working on something.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not so much a work horse as much as a masocist... Double checked the definition
gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions or the actions of others, esp. the tendency to seek this form of gratification.
Yup, I was right :)

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Hmm two scenarios. 1) I rep you for introducing a better word than man or 2) Neg rep your ass for making me look stupid. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm