Site upgrades

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ladies & Gentlemen - Lots of exciting things happening behind the scenes at AM which involve a significant amount of work to the servers involved in making this site run. Today, we are doing a fair amount of legwork to get ready for some upgrades and as a result, you may notice some sluggishness and/or downtime for the site. It should all be temporary so keep checking back if you get the unavailable message.

Thanks for being valued members of AM!

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Update: Should be done for the most part with the pre-upgrade things. Will try to do as much as possible of what's left during off-peak times. Please send coffee.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The next part of the upgrade has been completed. Please post here if you experience any slowness or errors on the site. Thanks!

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I'm an IT nerd as well.....just curious as to what you all have going on in the background. Care to be more specific? If not I understand....sometimes it's best to keep the end users in the dark :)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Basically, more power.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer

I just added that as our new server.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Much faster indeed. Only thing I noticed is the "new posts" since the last time you visited is gone. Located upper right under user name.

Welcome, ryansm.
Last visited: Today at 03:35 PM
(use to be here)

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
Much faster indeed. Only thing I noticed is the "new posts" since the last time you visited is gone. Located upper right under user name.

Welcome, ryansm.
Last visited: Today at 03:35 PM
(use to be here)
Yea same here. I used that feature a bunch.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yep - exactly. The other location may come back, not sure yet.
Such a large site, the extra SQL queries are unnecessary when you can just click the new posts button on top. I personally do not care that 421 posts have been made since my last visit! :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bingo...have a winner!

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Such a large site, the extra SQL queries are unnecessary when you can just click the new posts button on top. I personally do not care that 421 posts have been made since my last visit! :D
What's an SQL query?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
In all seriousness, though... we don't have to worry about unnecessary SQL queries any longer. We just installed our new database server. Check it out!

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
In all seriousness, though... we don't have to worry about unnecessary SQL queries any longer. We just installed our new database server. Check it out!

Awww $hit....AM is about to hit defcon 1!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The notifications are not coming on for reputation notices.
They are only showing up private messages.

And is there any chance the mobile version is going to be coming back?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'll take from the lack of responses here that everyone seems to be having smooth sailing after the site upgrades? Post any other issues you have or are seeing here for review. Thanks!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The notifications are not coming on for reputation notices.

And is there any chance the mobile version is going to be coming back?
^ ??

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Works fine in safari on my iphone, and I also get my notifications on my PC when I use a web browser. Also get the notifications when i browse on my iphone w/safari.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Works fine in safari on my iphone, and I also get my notifications on my PC when I use a web browser. Also get the notifications when i browse on my iphone w/safari.
I get the full site on my iphone. There used to be a mobile version without all the graphics and extras. Made browing the site on my phone easier and faster.

Also the notifactions for reps aren't popping up. I turned off the PM notification of reps and now I have to check if I got them. Not a big deal at all was just mentioning it. It really doesnt matter either way.

I am more concerned about if the mobile version will be turned back on or not

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The forum is Tapatalk enabled for mobile browsing. Due to that, there are no plans in the immediate future to put a mobile skin back on the site.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So.....is this on-par with the IBM super-computer that was on Jeopardy?

Anyway....I have a large depot of weapons and ammo; no computers.

Just sayin' :saevilw:

-John