The Myostatin Ursolic Acid Relationship

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Myostatin inhibition is the new “hot” thing on the bodybuilding block. This is because researchers found that myostatin is a negative regulator of muscle mass. In other words, inhibit myostatin in skeletal muscle, and watch your muscles grow. Unfortunately most of the myostatin research is limited to hard to find, and often expensive drugs. In addition the quality provided by many “research chemical labs” is questionable at best. So where does that leave us? We need something natural, something that inhibits myostatin, or at least has the potential to decrease myostatin. Does that even exist?

A major player in skeletal muscle fibrosis is transforming growth factor-b1 or TGF-β1. In fact TGF-β1 is elevated in injured muscle and those suffering from muscular dystrophy. An often cited study was looking at skeletal muscle injury and therapy methods (1). Using a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) decreases regeneration, and increases fibrosis. Fibrosis in skeletal muscle is essentially connective tissue that repairs the area, but also directly competes with muscle regeneration. In other words if you suffer from an acute muscle injury, your body will repair the area, but it may not be as strong as it once was simply because fibrous tissue is interfering with high quality muscle tissue regeneration.

The same study we referenced earlier on the repair of skeletal muscle injury also wanted to gain a better understanding of the relation of myostatin to TGF-β1. Specifically to see if myostatin played a role in skeletal muscle fibrosis as previous research had indicated may be true. The researchers studied many things, but one part of the study specifically compared normal mice and myostatin knockout mice. They purposely injured the mice by lacerating the muscle, and then stained the fibrous connective tissue of each animal group. Below is a photo of the difference in tissue quality. What you will notice is far less fibrotic tissue (blue stain) in the myostatin deficient mice (right) than in normal mice (left):

They found that there was about 4% less fibrous tissue at both 2 weeks from injury as well as 4 weeks out from injury. Previous research had already shown that TGF-β1 plays a role in skeletal muscle fibrosis, and this literally paints a picture that shows myostatin also has a role in this process. They then performed eight different in vitro tests to determine the relationship of TGF-B1 and myostatin. They essentially found that each one promoted the action of the other.

A previously known TGF-β1 inhibitor was then introduced to the study. They wanted to see if this TGF-β1 inhibitor known as decorin, would also inhibit or decrease myostatin fibroblast (fibrosis) proliferation, or growth. They found that decorin significantly decreased the effect of myostatin on fibroblast growth. To go a step further, they tested it in mouse muscle cells to see if it could reduce the effect myostatin has on cell growth (or muscle hypertrophy). And again they found that decorin inhibited the effect of myostatin in muscle cells, creating larger muscle cells (myoblast differentiation). The authors go on to also find that decorin stimulates follistatin the popular myostatin inhibitor.

In conclusion the authors made the following statement:

In summary, our results suggest the following:
(i)MSTN stimulates the formation of fibrosis in skeletal muscle after injury,
(ii) TGF-β1 and MSTN up-regulate the expression level of each other, and
(iii)DCN is capable of inhibiting MSTN activity as it does for TGF-β1

The second finding is highlighted above for an important reason. If a natural TGF-β1 inhibitor were to exist, we could likely inhibit myostatin to some degree. In return, build bigger muscles. Well we happen to be in luck. ForeRunner Labs has released a product to their fans known as Ursol-XT. Ursol-XT contains a modified compound known as Ursolic Acid. Ursolic Acid is also a potent TGF-β1 antagonist (2). Meaning it prohibits TGF-β1 from binding to its receptor. The research has yet to test Ursolic Acid’s direct impact on myostatin, but as we previously illustrated decreasing TGF-β1, can inhibit myostatin to some degree. (3)

Now this effect may not be as powerful as injecting follistatin itself, but even the results of this practice have led to questionable results. More likely because of the stability and quality of the grey market chemical, that is currently available to bodybuilders. Because of this, the information discussed suggests that Ursol-XT will be the best legal option to decrease myostatin available to bodybuilders today.

References

1. Relationships between transforming growth factor-beta1, myostatin, and decorin: implications for skeletal muscle fibrosis. Zhu J, Li Y, Shen W, Qiao C, Ambrosio F, Lavasani M, Nozaki M, Branca MF, Huard J. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania : J Biol Chem., 2007, Vols. Aug 31;282(35):25852-63.
2. Ursolic acid, an antagonist for transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta1. Murakami S, Takashima H, Sato-Watanabe M, Chonan S, Yamamoto K, Saitoh M, Saito S, Yoshimura H, Sugawara K, Yang J, Gao N, Zhang X. Japan : FEBS Lett., 2004, Vols. May 21;566(1-3):55-9.
3. Role of TGF-β signaling in inherited and acquired myopathies. Burks TN, Cohn RD. Baltimore, MD : Skelet Muscle., 2011, Vol. May 4;1(1):19.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good info, thanks.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Now just gotta get my hands on a few bottles of Ursol-XT

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Johhhhhhhhny!! Do it brother.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You lucky man Johnny you got to jump on this chance. DO it.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WOW..just got home from boxing...and i open up to this...YES!!!! I DO!!!

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice paper.

I'm running some in pct as soon a nutra sends me my order I placed on the 3rd...

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
What's the Rec dosage for this? I've been using Ursobolic at 12/caps a day for the past 6-8 weeks.

And price?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bump for awesome chance here

jwa254

jwa254

Awards
  • Established
Currently running Erase Pro but if you guys don't find someone else, I'll run it after I'm through with Erase Pro.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are the dosing protocols for said log?
I'll have to defer to Royd on this. I know the recommended dosag is 4 a day, but he'll have to lay out what he is looking for in the log. You interested?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll have to defer to Royd on this. I know the recommended dosag is 4 a day, but he'll have to lay out what he is looking for in the log. You interested?
Depends on the dosing lol. I have heard that 9 caps a day was the standard dose for Epharm's product. I took ursobolic acid on cycle in attempts to help my lipids on Mdrol. 12 caps a day (Would have ran through but... nutra... took like 10 days to get my order out...).

Wouldn't mind trying it, but I hear with the cyclo not really coupled with the ursobolic..the dosing would still have to be REALLY high.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can dose however you wish. Loggers will get two bottles.
Hmm, Great offer, but I honestly stack to many thing to even tell if it works. I would rather someone who wasn't running as much stuff as me log it. Ursobolic acid is good stuff though.
Good luck to all!

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
TGF-B is inhibited by safflower extract as well.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcb.21676/full

Maybe you add that to ursolic acid and itll work a little more like things claim>? i havent seent that much positice review in terms of these products yet *any ursolic acid product*. a lot of people didnt really see anything at all, possible leaner, but nothing a cortisol blocker cant do (ursolic acid works like that as well as a DGAT inhibitor). no disrespect, id like to see the studies carry over. I believe they are great supplements but i dont think they will aid muscle growth the way we would think.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established

Maybe you add that to ursolic acid and itll work a little more like things claim>? i havent seent that much positice review in terms of these products yet *any ursolic acid product*. a lot of people didnt really see anything at all, possible leaner, but nothing a cortisol blocker cant do (ursolic acid works like that as well as a DGAT inhibitor). no disrespect, id like to see the studies carry over. I believe they are great supplements but i dont think they will aid muscle growth the way we would think.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dang i wish i wasn't roped into a log right now

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I believe a large part of that is simply due to the poor kinetics which we are trying to resolve but it's not easy at this point.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I believe retinoic acid is an inhibitor as well.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PrepNwa what are you logging? Am I subbed? I can't figure out what you are loggin lol.
I dunno if my package finally arrived yet but i got the Neogenix BodyForge log to run here soon.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
I believe a large part of that is simply due to the poor kinetics which we are trying to resolve but it's not easy at this point.
I believe retinoic acid is an inhibitor as well.
i remember the issues i believe you stated with the cyclodextrin? but also PAs product doesnt have much positive feedback. Maybe a combination of all 3, and enteric coating to have it absorbed in the small intestine.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i remember the issues i believe you stated with the cyclodextrin? but also PAs product doesnt have much positive feedback. Maybe a combination of all 3, and enteric coating to have it absorbed in the small intestine.
Yes, complexing it will increase solubility about 200%. Hard to do while keeping it a supplement price.

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am interested:) & I have ton of logging,training,and supplement use. Over 15 years worth. I am also a personal trainer at a very large gym where I am CONSTANTLY asked what supplements while...I would love a chance to see if this is one of them.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am interested:) & I have ton of logging,training,and supplement use. Over 15 years worth. I am also a personal trainer at a very large gym where I am CONSTANTLY asked what supplements while...I would love a chance to see if this is one of them.
Pm me your address. You're in.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Brah?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Someone just said I do to ursolxt. When are you two setting the date and when can I expect a ' save the date' invitation?

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm holding out till alpha series releases completely. Got to get my hands on all that goodness.

TheBGRigatoni

TheBGRigatoni

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff right here gang..

Cool

Cool

Awards
  • Established
If you're still looking for a tester I'd be interested. I'm skeptical of every thing now a days but def looking to recomp. I'm 33, been lifting consistantly for over 10 years. I've tried literally every supp I can get my hands on. Done some logs here just been a while. Oh and I will check back to see if you respond ;)

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're still looking for a tester I'd be interested. I'm skeptical of every thing now a days but def looking to recomp. I'm 33, been lifting consistantly for over 10 years. I've tried literally every supp I can get my hands on. Done some logs here just been a while. Oh and I will check back to see if you respond ;)
Cool. I love bulldogs! Send me your address!

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool. I love bulldogs! Send me your address!