Appetite Suppression for my mom

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Doc told her to do the atkins diet. I've done very low carb and can't imagine a 0 carb. I know she is going to have trouble with it so I'm wondering about what her options are as far as appetite suppressants.

She is 49 with high cholesterol and high blood sugar. I don't want anything extreme or anything that will raise BP. I'd rather not have a crazy stim effect either but some is alright.

Remember she is 49, not some 22 year old nut.

Thanks ladies.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Something like Venom special tactics could be good, no stims in it. I'm stim sensetive and also have mild anxiety issues that used to be severe but have subsided over time with no meds, just diet, exercise, and will to have control over myself...anyway, I mention them because the more hardcore stimulants can be scary to me, but I seem to be able to handle recreate just fine, and actually find it enjoyable during the first couple weeks of use, it has kind of a mellow antidepressant sort of feel to me.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I just have this nagging feeling that something like that wouldn't be good for an older woman. Maybe I'm wrong and just being cautious though.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doc told her to do the atkins diet. I've done very low carb and can't imagine a 0 carb. I know she is going to have trouble with it so I'm wondering about what her options are as far as appetite suppressants.

She is 49 with high cholesterol and high blood sugar. I don't want anything extreme or anything that will raise BP. I'd rather not have a crazy stim effect either but some is alright.

Remember she is 49, not some 22 year old nut.

Thanks ladies.
Does she NEED appetite suppresents, Rugger? Or does she simply need to clean her diet up a bit? Because changing her diet (and not necessarily to Atkins, which I wouldn't recommend, because it is very high in fat, and for someone with high cholersterol, wouldn't be so great) would make some difference. You don't need to cut out carbs, but try going for low glycemic index (GI) carbs, as opposed to high GI carbs, and in as natural a state as possible. With meats, make sure they are as lean as possible. Drinking lots of water also helps a little. Perhaps she might try calorie cycling? Also, adding in some exercise (if she doesn't already) helps suppress appetite somewhat.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
She will need it, I'm sure of that.

She is already going to completely change her diet and as you know, a zero carb diet is very difficult and the hunger/carb cravings are really difficult to deal with. She really enjoys food which is why I'm trying to help her out.

I should have mentioned that she is doing a modified atkins. She will be eating extremely low fat; nothing like the anabolic.

At this point she is so new to sticking to an actual diet that I don't even want her to consider calorie or carb cycling. Once she drops the weight she can utilize programs such as those to help maintain her weight.

I also recommended to her to have some carbs, from fruits and such, but she is standing by what her doctor said which was zero carbs.

Personally when I was on *>50g carb diet I needed an appetite suppressant; I can't imagine doing a zero carb.

Beyond that I've told her all the tips, including the drinking of tons of water and making sure she eats several times a day; I just know she is going to have a hard time and I know that a suppressant will really help.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
She will need it, I'm sure of that.

She is already going to completely change her diet and as you know, a zero carb diet is very difficult and the hunger/carb cravings are really difficult to deal with. She really enjoys food which is why I'm trying to help her out.

I should have mentioned that she is doing a modified atkins. She will be eating extremely low fat; nothing like the anabolic.

At this point she is so new to sticking to an actual diet that I don't even want her to consider calorie or carb cycling. Once she drops the weight she can utilize programs such as those to help maintain her weight.

I also recommended to her to have some carbs, from fruits and such, but she is standing by what her doctor said which was zero carbs.

Personally when I was on *>50g carb diet I needed an appetite suppressant; I can't imagine doing a zero carb.

Beyond that I've told her all the tips, including the drinking of tons of water and making sure she eats several times a day; I just know she is going to have a hard time and I know that a suppressant will really help.
Ok. I'm not sure about what are good and whatnot, since NOTHING suppresses my appetite (Rosie's like a food vacuum, LOL)...Yes, NO carbs will definitely be hard. Perhaps you should just try some and see what works and such. Otherwise, I hope you find something for your mum...Maybe someone else will be able to offer some better suggestions than me. Guys, help Rugger out!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You could have her try Zapatite..or however you spell that. Honestly I've never found anything that works. Good luck with her weight loss!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
there are actually studies showing that low carb diets greatly improve cholesterol not only raising HDL but lowering LDL at the same time!

i still agree with guejsn though just changing to a better diet. i personally think suppressants are crap but some basic metabolism aids like green tea and b-vits. would be a great addition to the diet.

Good Shepherd

Awards
Ok. I'm not sure about what are good and whatnot, since NOTHING suppresses my appetite (Rosie's like a food vacuum, LOL)...Yes, NO carbs will definitely be hard. Perhaps you should just try some and see what works and such. Otherwise, I hope you find something for your mum...Maybe someone else will be able to offer some better suggestions than me. Guys, help Rugger out!
I have had great success with using fiber for these purposes. I think that Rosie is right with the cleaning up the diet recommendation. Most of the time a simple switch to consistantly eating whole complete foods will curb the appetite.
You have to remember that the typical Western diet is overly processed. In this case the body really has nothing to do in the the sense of breaking down foods and partioning nutrients. Eating whole foods gives the body a chance to do the job it was built to do - Break down food - you should also feel full longer because of this.
Back to the fiber point. Even adding those chewable fiber tabs before meals should help. I def. think your mom should stay away from stims. in her current conditon. It is recommended that the typical person consume between 25-30 grams of fiber per day. However, please don't immediatly start with the high of a fiber content. You must slowly increase the consumption and find the individual sweet spot.
To deal with your Mom's high choles. issue's, have her look into taking deep cold water fish oils. The higher the EPA/DHA levels the better. These Omega 3 fractions have the added benifit of being an inflamation scavenger and mildly suppressing the appetite.
Lastly, a zero carb diet is a mistake. The brain needs glucose! Of course the body can break down protein and bcaa's via glucogenosis, but after awhile this becomes counterproductive. Low carb eating is fine as long as it is balanced w/ enough green fiberous vegatables and good fats to meet calorie needs.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
we have some REDuction logs going on here and the feedback is very positive when it comes to appetite suppression without the harsh sides like "jittery-ness" or upset stomach

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Gymnema is supposed to help with sensitivity to insulin and sugar cravings if i recall so that would be good to add. Actually i know if you go to custom capsule and type cholesterol in their ingredient search engine it should display for you numerous supps that could aid you mom in her fight againts cholesterol. Create her some caps and keep it simple for her