lower abs

njsweetheart

Awards
i've been having an issue with my lower abs.. my upper abs are pretty toned, and i do 5 sets of 25 crunches and 3 sets of 15 leg lifts, but i still see no improvement in my lower abs.. any suggestions?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If your diet is in line and you're just having trouble losing that stubborn fat on your stomach, I'd recommend looking into Napalm. It's a topical fat loss product which will increase fat loss in a site specific manner.

You can read about it here if you'd like: http://www.avantresearch.com/products/napalm/research

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lower abs are kinda a trouble area, and they're somewhat immune to ab exercises.

What is your current bf% (ballpark guesstimate)?

you will need to have a low bodyfat percentage for any results to occur. Genetics also place a "cap" on how toned you can get 'em.

liftbig74

Awards
Try putting something under your back(exercise ball if available) when you do crunches so you can lean back further than just hitting the floor in a regular crunch, IMO this works the lower abs better. HOpefully you can catch what i mean, kinda hard to explain.

liftbig74

Awards
You could also try sitting backwards on the end of a bed and lean backwards more than a regular crunch since the floor isnt there

liftbig74

Awards
Try putting something under your back(exercise ball if available) when you do crunches so you can lean back further than just hitting the floor in a regular crunch, IMO this works the lower abs better. HOpefully you can catch what i mean, kinda hard to explain.

This is what I was trying to explain. https://www.benderball.tv/spark/index.php?ai=13&tag=bbaisseag100
If you watch the video it shows you how the ball allows you to bend back farther because you are off the ground. I wouldn't suggest bbuying this balll though, i'm sure its expensive. YOu could trying doing the same thing on another ball, kickball, exercise ball etc. and im sure get the same results.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I second Rpen's suggestion - Napalm freaking rocks for abdominal definition!

kkschaef

kkschaef

Awards
Your diet will be key on thsi one. With lower abs for many a low body fat level needs to take place. So first look into what you are eating.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lower abs are the bane of my existence. I am almost at 8% BF and I still cannot see them.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hate abs, i started a club if you want to join, check my threads

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Bobo posted this almost 4 years ago:

Those HIDDEN FAT SPOTS!!!

For those that are cutting this is probably the biggest problem that you face and you don't even know it. Now like most people I sometimes judge my progress by always looking at my abs. The problem is that your abs may not change one bit but you still keep losing weight in areas around you body. Your abs are the last place that it will burn fat and to assess your progress you need to understand how the body burns body fat. Basically the body burns fat from the outside in. It will protect the vital organs and keep energy reserves closer to your core than on your limbs. This is one reason you can have ripped arms but still have a nice tire around your waist. Now the tricky part is to understand WHEN you've hit a wall. Most people tihnk "my abs are the same, I'm not losing fat". Well thats far from the truth. The amount of fat that is on your inner thights, butt, lower back, etc... is much more substantial and can take a very long time to burn off so you should try and look in those areas too. Your abs should be the last place you look until those other areas are fairly lean. Just some things for you to think about....​

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
what bobo said is very true. The body doesn't want to tap it's big fat reserve until it has to.

AppliedBaby

AppliedBaby

Awards
when i start to cut my fruit and shakes mine start to show a little better

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've been having an issue with my lower abs.. my upper abs are pretty toned, and i do 5 sets of 25 crunches and 3 sets of 15 leg lifts, but i still see no improvement in my lower abs.. any suggestions?
i completely estimated everything, but i used this website to help calculate and it says 19% or 17-21%.. also when i do crunches i do it on that bench that lifts up at the top and has the bars to rest your arms, no idea what its called though
Your diet will be key on thsi one. With lower abs for many a low body fat level needs to take place. So first look into what you are eating.
For starters, for a female to see her lower abs she has to be VERY lean. If you are ~19% BF, then you probably WON'T see your abs; I don't start to see mine until I am close to 8% BF! My suggestion is that you aim to get at least BELOW 15% BF before you can really expect to see anything. So, like kkschaef said, your diet is the KEY! You need to make sure that your eating is spot on. Also, make sure you are lifting (focussing on just doing abs exercises won't do as much for your abs as say doing squats and deadlifts, where you are using your core all the time!); the more muscle you have, the more efficient your body will be at burning fuel (and the more you can eat, LOL)...Just my 2 cents...Good luck, chick.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
How active you are becoming!

For starters, for a female to see her lower abs she has to be VERY lean. If you are ~19% BF, then you probably WON'T see your abs; I don't start to see mine until I am close to 8% BF! My suggestion is that you aim to get at least BELOW 15% BF before you can really expect to see anything. So, like kkschaef said, your diet is the KEY! You need to make sure that your eating is spot on. Also, make sure you are lifting (focussing on just doing abs exercises won't do as much for your abs as say doing squats and deadlifts, where you are using your core all the time!); the more muscle you have, the more efficient your body will be at burning fuel (and the more you can eat, LOL)...Just my 2 cents...Good luck, chick.
Yeah I would say you have taken quite a liking to this board huh Rosie? :)

Cheers!:cheers:

jessicalykwan

Awards
I totally agree with njsweetheart. Lower abs is really hard to work on. I'm a very slim girl but my lower abs are far from slim. It could be due to my diet but I'm really not sure how to eat properly. My body fat is around 17%. What am I doing wrong?

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Your ab's are one muscle... There's no Lower and Upper... It's one muscle. Just lower your bf. Watch your diet, train your abs, and cut bf. Part of it is genetics as well...

kaleyrae90

kaleyrae90

Awards
Lay on your back and straighten your legs up in the air and lift you hips up and down off the ground

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I totally agree with njsweetheart. Lower abs is really hard to work on. I'm a very slim girl but my lower abs are far from slim. It could be due to my diet but I'm really not sure how to eat properly. My body fat is around 17%. What am I doing wrong?
Your ab's are one muscle... There's no Lower and Upper... It's one muscle. Just lower your bf. Watch your diet, train your abs, and cut bf. Part of it is genetics as well...
I agree with Inarius. Your 'abs' consist of 4 muscles: transverse abdominus, rectus abdominus, internal obliques, and external obliques. The transverse abdominus and rectus abdominus are the muscle that run the LENGTH of your midsection (i.e. the 6 or 8 pack that you can (or can not) see). You can NOT target either just the upper or lower region of these; most exercises work (to some degree) the ENTIRE length of the muscle (which is what you want). The only thing that is going to be able to let you SEE your abs (and lower abs in particular) is if your bodyfat % is low (depending upon genetics, but anything less than 12% BF for a female, aroundabouts; just so you know how everyone varies, I can't see mine until I am 8-9% BF!), and if you actually HAVE the muscle THERE to see! (Yes, genetics also has a role in how your body looks and how well and much you will be able to see of your 'abs', but it is MINIMAL!) So, pretty much this is DIET. Also exercising the abdominals to develop the muscles. Abs, however, are like any other muscle, and do NOT need to be done every day, or for endless reps. ~100 reps (quality) twice a week, weighted, should be enough to help develop your midsection (as well as doing exercises that work the core - i.e. squats, deadlifts, etc.)

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Rectus abdominus IS in fact one muscle...but that doesn't mean that focusing the effort is useless, or wasted. "Training", remember, means teaching (a muscle) how to do a thing it doesn't do spontaneously. If all the movement in your ab-work is focused on the costal attachments (ie, crunches, leg lifts), then sure, the whole rectus will *activate*, but it's just anchoring the movement, not moving.

KaleyRae90's suggestion is a very good one: vertical leg thrusts will be good for you. You might also try reverse micro-curls: extend your legs, feet together, about knee-height; focusing carefully, curl your pubic bone up toward your navel, hold, then back to start; repeat as you would normally repeat an exercise. Use your legs as a counter-weight to tailor the difficulty of the move.

NOTE - this will not "strip fat from your abs"! This is a small move that increases the overall tone, strength & response of the rectus, and when training has left an infirm 'pouchy bit' right above the pubic bone & below the navel, this *will* help.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Stop doing ab workouts and start doing some more weightlifting!! Crunches/situps will increase the size of your abdominal muscles just like doing bicep curls increases the size of your bicep muscle but it will not remove fat from around them. Start doing some circuit like weight training or some HIIT.

lol just realized that this is kinda old