expected calorie intakes

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
we can discuss what it would or could be for anyone posting here, but lets start with me for a sec.

Last weekend's weigh in was 178.

While I have a big frame, I stlil have a lot of BF to lose. When I'm skinny (I never have been!) I will still have broad shoulders, big hands, long arms and big feet. My build is more like my brother than my mom and my sis, actually.

I work out 3x a week and can adapt to just about any kind of food plan, whether its calorie cycling, low cals, whatever. I've been better about eating the thermogenics stuff and protein like fish and meat.

I'm just looking to find out what works as far as what foods I should focus on and the energy intake (amount of calories I scoff).

While I do have the occasional slice of pizza or something, I feel that I am in better shape than I have been, and can stay so despite that. I have never been an "emotional eater" or attached to sugary things. If anything the calorie-dense stuff I like is mexican food and pizza. While these can be high in carbs, they aren't sweet per se. I hardly ever eat any chocolate or desserts.

I didnt get to my max because of eating out of distress. It was more 2 pregnancies and just not being mobile enough and also having a body that doesnt work for me. I'm determined to change that now.

What is a good calorie intake estimate for someone like me to lose weight *with* going to the gym and doing cardio/weights 3x/wk?

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
If you google Fitness calculators, you might be able to find one and plug your stats in.

How tall are you?
Also what kind of diet are you looking to eat? If you can give me the breakdown of macros for example in percentages I can work out an estimation of calories for you using one of those.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
If you google Fitness calculators, you might be able to find one and plug your stats in.

How tall are you? Let me know and I can work out an estimation of calories for you using one of those
5 foot 8.

I like a good balance that doesnt restrict anything too much, but I am more into proteins and fats (including omega 3, or whatever is needed) than carbs. I dont have a big sweet tooth fortunatley. I probably can manage a lower carb thing for a while, something like carb cycling so I can have something tasty once in a while :)

Last edited:
asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Okay I just plugged this into an excel spreadsheet that I use..

Using your weight, age and height:
your BMR is 1573 calories

You are moderately active (exercise 3+ times per week)
Your energy requirement based on your activity level is 2439 calories

Your recommend calorie range for cutting fat is between 1780 and 2136 calories

To lose 1lb per week you need 1939 calories.

So using 1939 calories - if you were on a 40pro/40carb/20fat diet, the breakdown would be:

194g protein, 194g carbs, 43g fat.

This is all just an estimated starting point and you will have to adjust accordingly. Hope this helps!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm personally not a fan of Calorie counting. Entropy is what makes the world go round, and the assumptions that are made from the "calorie-whore" type diets are more than ideal.

Probably the biggest :nono: to come from this practice is the assumption that the body works in a batch process. Since we are continuously alive (not dead) throughout the whole day, it would seem kinda silly for the body to be anything other than a continous process.

It really doesn't matter how many calories you get throughout the whole day. It's how many Calories you're taking in RIGHT NOW.

I guarantee that if you maintain an active lifestyle while keeping your meals small, healthy, and frequent, Mother Nature will take care of the rest.

And if you're super-lucky, Cold Miser will make it snow in time for Christmas :D

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
wow!! I guess I have not been eating enough. I havent been counting, but I do "watch" calorie intake to get a general idea.

I'm always afraid of eating too much, but on days where I ate more I lost a pound a day or two later. Weird!

Thanks so much for doing that. If my frequencies change, I"ll come back here to re evaluate.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Probably the biggest :nono: to come from this practice is the assumption that the body works in a batch process.

It really doesn't matter how many calories you get throughout the whole day. It's how many Calories you're taking in RIGHT NOW.
This is more like what I am already doing. I eat 4-5x a day and I dont know about all the proposed theories behind it but I do know that I am nowhere near as hungry as I used to be. This inter-spersed with cups of green tea has made a major difference. It goes roughly like this...

I eat breakfast (100-180 cals)
mid morning snack (same qty)
lunch around 12-1, mebbe 300-350 cals
early dinner around 5pm - 300=350 cals
evening snack - around 8 ish about 100-150 cals, sometimes more like 200-250

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just to point out. You're eating 2-3x as much for dinner (when you're day is pretty much over) as you do for breakfast (when you're day is just beginning).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good point sinner! first thing in the morning unless you are going to do fasted cardio, you want to get your body out of the catabolic state that sleeps ends up taking you to. so that should be likely the highest calories of the day, as whatever you take in then can be used as fuel over the next few hours. Depending on what you eat, some of it could still be used up to 3-5 hours later. After dinner is when you are most likey to not do a while lot of activity, so that likely should be one of the smaller ones. Also helps to limit carbs later in the day as well

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
I'm sure not counting works great for some people, but when I stop counting I eat at or above maintenance as I will eat based on hunger. It is easier for me to limit intake when I am counting calories, and it ensures I get enough protein and fats and helps me limit carbs.

Also, for women on birth control pills, appetite often exceeds daily needs.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
appetite often exceeds daily needs.
Not wanting to argue with a mod (but not like its the first time either :D) but isn't appetite vs caloric intake more a factor of what you eat? Taking it to an extreme, satisfying appetite by drinking olive oil will be 10x as many calories as satisfying hunger with celery. I think some of it is moving the food choices to things with higher fiber content, and higher fill factor per calorie. for what thats worth, even much fresh fruit is that way, low energy density, yet is highly taste bud satisfying.

Theres a cool book related to this idea in some ways. Picture Perfect Weight Loss by Dr Shapiro. Heres an example

So the muffin might leave you mostly full, but you could split the fruit into 2-3 meals and be full each time. So even if appetite is higher, doesn't mean that caloric intake needs to be. Its a really cool book, my sister got it for me but I had already figured out much of the same myself.

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
EasyEJL - Definitely food choices do make a difference. I don't think there is any nutrition plan that would result in me having 0 hunger at a 300 calorie deficit though. How would you split up 1800 calories per day?

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
EasyEJL - Definitely food choices do make a difference. I don't think there is any nutrition plan that would result in me having 0 hunger at a 300 calorie deficit though. How would you split up 1800 calories per day?
ladies Ive been able to reduce my hunger pangs significantly, it is an understatement that I dont have the growling stomach between meals I used to, or that I feel hungry enough to eat a whale at a buffet. Here are some of the things I'm doing to help with this.

-spreading meals out to smaller more often ones
-chromium picolinate
-5 HTP
-fiber tablet an hr before a meal if "thinking about food" already heh
-look at protein grams, meat is filling, so is cottage cheese
-have some green tea (the hot kind in a cup) at the first thought of "is it dinner time yet?"
-look at fiber content on labels - kind of like she said.
-and GIVE IN! Dont be afraid to eat if you think you really need it, just keep it sensible. espeically after doing the above and noticing its been a few hours.

one other thing is I am paying more attention to the affect on blood sugar effect and glycaemic indexs of foods. This is a big difference that I didnt even realize til recently.

PS while the hot tea might not have the concentration a tablet does, it has the warmth and water-fill that tablets dont.

If hunger is a real prob and you already do these things, try some quality Hoodia. Dont go for the fake stuff, it needs to be from the stem, not aerial, roots, leaves,etc, and show the CITES label and authenticity guarantee, plus a 750mg dose.

Last edited:
terracotta

terracotta

Awards
Thanks Bassgirl. In reality, I only have moderate hunger at 1800 calories. But if I dip to 1700 for a few days, I suddenly am ravenous and need a high day, defeating the lower calories. 1-2 lbs a month of fat loss is just SO slow.

I found EC really killed my hunger, in fact, to an extreme, and when I was on it I'd only eat around 1400 cals a day (I lost muscle, OUCH).

Yes, I've thought about trying the hoodia, and I did know about all the things you have to check for.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lets take it as 6 spread meals, say a target of 200g of protein? So 32 per meal give or take a little.

Meal 1
2 egg whites, 1 full egg omelete with fat free kraft cheddar, salsa, and 1/2 cup black beans on the side, 1 slice of high fiber whole grain toast. around 330 cal

meal 2
(assuming as a post workout) Whey shake, 30g protein, 130 cal, add 1 tbsp of psyllium husks

meal 2.5
tuna salad with fat free mayo, celery, emeril's essence on a whole grain roll - 230 cal

meal 3
3/4 cup of shrimp steamed, over a greens salad with fat free cal free dressing - 200 cal

meal 4 310
1/4 cup quinoa made with goya sazon, 3/4 cup boiled chicken breast cubed then lightly tossed in a nonstick pan with some adobo, 1 cup steamed broccoli - 310 cal

meal 5
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese served in half a papaya, with a cup of diced pineapple added. 290 cal

meal 6
Beef top round steak 6oz, 1 cup asparagus grilled, fat free cal free balsamic vinagrette over top of it. 310 cal

around 1800 cal, 227g of protein, each meal pretty filling, with 6 of them.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
wow that is great info. I'm kind of taken aback by the whole protein thing. I bet I get 50g _max_ in a day, and thats on a day that is more than others.

200g of protein? Whoa I dont even know how I could eat all that! - yeah I know that chart is supposed to suggest how , hehe. I didnt even know I ever needed that much. *looks around* Damn, where are those chicken wings? :D

OK so sometimes I am sure I am "underestimating" my cals, but generally I bet I am not getting enough...can't believe I'm actually saying that.

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
That's nice of you. I don't have the money for that much protein. It's SO expensive to buy groceries of any sort here, so I tend to get higher carbs, at least 175 g per day - oats, fruit, veggies and milk mostly.

My protein goal is 120 g. Although I could go up to 150g.

As an example of sale prices
- beef sirloin steak - 3.99/lb
- boneless skinless chicken breast - 11$/kg
- eggs (reg price) - 2.19/dozen

Whey is much cheaper for me than all of those, so I have 1-2 scoops a day. I have 1 scoop of casein per day (cheaper than CC which I don't like).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
fwiw, you could instead of anything complex like that involving cooking, buy your choice of 6 south beach diet pizzas, salads and wraps a day. That would put you around 1600 cal, and 140g of protein. add 1 whey shake, and some additional sugar free jello here and there, and you are all set

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's SO expensive to buy groceries of any sort here, so I tend to get higher carbs, at least 175 g per day - oats, fruit, veggies and milk mostly.
Hmm where are you at that its expensive? honestly those prices dont sound too bad. the chicken maybe, cause I believe I can get that for around $1.80/lb, so around $4/kg

the cost is a problem with the south beach diet too, at $2.50 - 3 each thats $15-18/day in food. really not that bad. with coupons sometimes cheaper.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
fwiw, you could instead of anything complex like that involving cooking, buy your choice of 6 south beach diet pizzas, salads and wraps a day. That would put you around 1600 cal, and 140g of protein. add 1 whey shake, and some additional sugar free jello here and there, and you are all set
funny you should say that. I just got myself 4 of those SB turkey wraps on a whim Monday because they were on clearance at 99 cents.

I am such an idiot I got them and dont even know if they're any good heh. Maybe it was my lucky day. So that is how the SB plan works, interesting.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK so sometimes I am sure I am "underestimating" my cals, but generally I bet I am not getting enough...can't believe I'm actually saying that.
yeah, its funny. even for a woman who isn't trying to build muscles, there is still a baseline amount of muscle that is good for your height, bone structure, etc. if you aren't getting enough calories + enough protein to maintain that (probably 120-150 is enough) then you are more likely to burn the protein in your muscles, and less likely to burn fat. which over time lowers your base metabolic rate as muscle burns more cals at rest than fat does, which then lowers your daily needs, and you have to eat even less to loose anything.

What a drag it all is. In the past year, i've lost just over 50lbs, and some of the weight at times was muscle. I reached spots where out of frustration I did weeks where cals were below 1500. I've fixed doing that, and have gained a fair bit of muscle finally, and am definitely significantly more muscular than when I started. I'm also steadily loosing as much weight or more at 2200-2400 cal a day vs that sub 1500 a day.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
funny you should say that. I just got myself 4 of those SB turkey wraps on a whim Monday because they were on clearance at 99 cents.

I am such an idiot I got them and dont even know if they're any good heh. Maybe it was my lucky day. So that is how the SB plan works, interesting.
I buy them all the time, they are way handy to bring to work. I do the math, even if I were to buy 2 of em and spend $5, thats less than I would spend on subway or other fast foodery, and its all complex carbs, whole grain, low fat, etc, and each one has from 20-25g of protein in it. Most fast food makes a majority of cals from fat.

terracotta

terracotta

Awards
Hmm where are you at that its expensive? honestly those prices dont sound too bad. the chicken maybe, cause I believe I can get that for around $1.80/lb, so around $4/kg

the cost is a problem with the south beach diet too, at $2.50 - 3 each thats $15-18/day in food. really not that bad. with coupons sometimes cheaper.
Alberta Canada.

I guess I'll just deal with the hunger, as it isn't that bad, really.

I try to keep my diet filled with healthy foods, but not necessarily the most filling. I really should go back to having oats several times a day, that seemed to fill me up a quite a bit.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the oats are nice from fill factor, particularly if you are buying plain oats, not the pre-packed singles with tons o added sugar. I just lean towards believing that carbs and insulin response tend to lead to more of the weight / fat management issues than protein or healthy fats do, so I tend to break my diet down that way. not crazy and no carbs, but even at 3000 cal a day it was rare that I hit much over 150g of carbs.

But at least you can probably get moose. Heck your female co-mod in this section gets to eat kangaroo, how cool is that! Leanest red meat available on the planet.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
the oats are nice from fill factor, particularly if you are buying plain oats, not the pre-packed singles with tons o added sugar. I just lean towards believing that carbs and insulin response tend to lead to more of the weight / fat management issues than protein or healthy fats do, so I tend to break my diet down that way. not crazy and no carbs, but even at 3000 cal a day it was rare that I hit much over 150g of carbs.

But at least you can probably get moose. Heck your female co-mod in this section gets to eat kangaroo, how cool is that! Leanest red meat available on the planet.
I use the prepacks of oatmeal that are low sugar or sugar free. Low sugar is still a positive step. They make a great snack at work.

One thing I left out of my "hunger control" list below is Oatmeal! I started my whole weight loss thing off just by having tea and oatmeal every breakfast. I did this for months, and had a small snack before lunch so i wouldn't be as hungry at mealtime. Never counted anything or even knew about protein, green tea, or any of that stuff. It controlled my appetite in an amazing way and I lost 35lbs in a year just doing that with no exercise!

Alas that wont work now, I dont have as much to lose as I did before. Phooey :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, where I am now (194) it sometimes seems harder to loose a pound than when I started (at 245), but not really. I can now manage to be a lot more physically active, and i've learned a lot more about how my body processes foods, so I have better tools to do it with. Not sure yet where my goal really is, i'll know when I get there tho.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Great discussion..

Bass girl, as I said before the calories and ratios are just a guideline. You may do very well with less protein and more carbs, but that is for you to experiment with. I personally take about 1.5-2g/lb LBM worth of protein, but that is because I also do a truckload of cardio and I need it.

As terra said, whey is relatively cheap (not over here though!) for you so that might be an easy way to get in some protein if you are not hungry. It does look like you are under-eating, or you need to spark up your metabolism again. If you have been on low calories for an extended period of time, you might want to jack them up a bit or change some of your macros.

I eat a lot of chicken and kangaroo, (yes Easy, kanga is one of my faves!) . At around $10 a kilo, an entire meal with 6oz of meat, veggies and carbs like rice/pasta or a fruit will cost you about $3? , but I would consider that pretty damn cheap.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
ok I hope that I am getting the message :) here is what I fixed for dinner.

lean pork chop - about 3/4 inch by 2x4 inches with my spicy garlic pan-seared topping. used 1 Tbsp of garlic olive oil, a TBS of chopped garlic, chili sauce, and about 1 tsp chilli powder. cals? virtually no fat came off it. chili sauce = the oriental stir fry type, not hot dog chili sauce :)

1/2 c cottage cheese , 13g prot 80 cals

a serving of baked blue corn chips and salsa. (120 cals plus 10 cals)

and a yogurt for dessert. (7g prot, 180 cals)which I will probably have in an hour or two.

Last edited:
bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
now that I scoffed my biggest meal of the day - there i go again with the dinner thing... - time to pick up my son and go to the Y.

I had to put some extra nice scented body lotion on because I've taken ephedra today and I stink to high heaven when I workout with that stuff in me . heh.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Clearly, you've never played icehockey :D
LOl actually as a kid I was in an intramural coed ice hockey league. It was an outdoor , afterschool thing in Maine. That was way before "womens" hockey was in the news.

OK its lunch time (just finsihed) and I've already taken in about 900 cals. That to me seems high for this time of day, but I guess its OK?

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
A little while back someone asked about what I like to eat, or want to include. Hmm.. :) everything haha. Well if I had to pick some favorites, lets see, here's a few:

pinto beans
black beans
flour or corn tortillas
cheese
salsa
sour cream (see a trend here? haha)
guacamole
yogurts (pretty much any dairy)
hummous
salad dressings like caesar and italian
pork - just about all cuts
beef
chicken wings
potatoes
mayo
100 calorie packs including protein bars
garlic!

and I DO like it hot! ;) Bring on the habaneros!
I am not a big bread eater, nor am I a big dessert eater.

Last edited:
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you leave out or minimize the potatos, and make careful choices on the specifics of the others, you are all set. Ground turkey in taco seasonings makes for an excellent burrito with black beans, fat free kraft cheddar and low fat sour cream :)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOl actually as a kid I was in an intramural coed ice hockey league. It was an outdoor , afterschool thing in Maine. That was way before "womens" hockey was in the news.

OK its lunch time (just finsihed) and I've already taken in about 900 cals. That to me seems high for this time of day, but I guess its OK?
Calorie counting is an annoying thing. Try not to dwell too hard on it (because it gets really tricky).

But, essentially, you need calories to keep your metabolism going and burn more calories. This is usually where the "Campfire" analogy comes into play.

I put half a twig on the fire and it does nothing; the fire will eventually just die down. Put an armfull of sticks or a log on the fire, and it will continue to burn brilliantly. Put too many sticks/logs on the fire and you smother it; the fire dies down again.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
after lunch I had one of those McCanns oatmeal packets. YUMM!! 100 cals. And a Reeses bar that was 260 cals.

so by dinner I counted 1260 but to be safe I said 1300.

And I'm having a Weight watchers fiesta chicken for dinner 260 cals 13g protein with a bottle of Special K protein water (30, 3g).

I added my own tablespoon of chopped garlic and chili sauce neg. cals, maybe 10.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
today I had 250 cals for breakfast, and for lunch a south beach wrap pack (240, 14g) and an 8 oz protein shake made with skim milk (300, 22g)

puts me at about 800 at noon. room enough for a afternoon snack before dinner if I feel hungry enough later. Amazing the difference a day makes huh?

Last edited:
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and you should feel more energetic too, which makes it easier to be more physically active, which burns more calories

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great thread. LOTS to discuss:

#1 Am I the only one that is NEVER satisfied with low GI carbs? Seriously, for me they seem to have the opposite of the filling effect that everyone else describes.

#2 I have a female friend who is 5'6" 140 lbs and 20-21% bf. She eats about 125g pro/250g carb/30g fat per day. I guess that's around 1770 cals for maintenance for her. She REFUSES to increase protein intake for cost reasons as you ladies mentioned and she just doesn't have the will to eat more meat or drink more shakes.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Great thread. LOTS to discuss:

#1 Am I the only one that is NEVER satisfied with low GI carbs? Seriously, for me they seem to have the opposite of the filling effect that everyone else describes.

#2 I have a female friend who is 5'6" 140 lbs and 20-21% bf. She eats about 125g pro/250g carb/30g fat per day. I guess that's around 1770 cals for maintenance for her. She REFUSES to increase protein intake for cost reasons as you ladies mentioned and she just doesn't have the will to eat more meat or drink more shakes.
1. I thought GI has been pretty much deemed as irrelevant? Which low-GI foods are you talking about? For me personally, oats which are relatively low in GI fill me up, but so do white potatoes..

2. Is she happy with how she looks right now? Sounds like she is at a good weight and bf for her height, does she want to build muscle or does she prefer the slim look, in which case what she's doing sounds pretty good already.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1. I thought GI has been pretty much deemed as irrelevant? Which low-GI foods are you talking about? For me personally, oats which are relatively low in GI fill me up, but so do white potatoes..

2. Is she happy with how she looks right now? Sounds like she is at a good weight and bf for her height, does she want to build muscle or does she prefer the slim look, in which case what she's doing sounds pretty good already.
And to keep the numbering system going... :lol:

1. To be honest I'm not sure about GI's relevance. I have to admit that I have difficulty determining credibility of sources when I read "carb-related" articles, so I'm still in the process of developing my own opinions.

2. Ya, she's a really confident girl and has a refreshing sense of humor when it comes to female body image. When she's lifting, she gets an ego and wants to build muscle. 15 minutes later, she changes her mind and wants to be as slim as can be. Quite frankly, I'm entertained by her whole decision making process :D

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
today 390 cals for breakfast, 30 cals protein water after w/o with a 195 cals yogurt w/flax.

Thats it so far today. mY stomach's feeling a bit....errggh ... just took a load of supps, mebbe it just needs to calm down first.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
And to keep the numbering system going... :lol:

1. To be honest I'm not sure about GI's relevance. I have to admit that I have difficulty determining credibility of sources when I read "carb-related" articles, so I'm still in the process of developing my own opinions.

2. Ya, she's a really confident girl and has a refreshing sense of humor when it comes to female body image. When she's lifting, she gets an ego and wants to build muscle. 15 minutes later, she changes her mind and wants to be as slim as can be. Quite frankly, I'm entertained by her whole decision making process :D
Sounds like she is fine as a daisy doing what she does now :thumbsup:

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds like she is fine as a daisy doing what she does now :thumbsup:
Agreed. I think I just wanted to show bassgirl that we all seem to have difficulty learning about macros and calories, choosing a diet plan, and then actually executing the plan. Browsing through bassgirl's posts in this thread reminded me of my friend on so many levels.

Bassgirl, running a log is the BEST way for me to stay honest with my diet. Then when you plateua, it will be very easy to make appropriate adjustments. I bet this is going to be very successful for you:clap2: