Birth Control and Weight Loss

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
I'm sorry I'm so full of questions, but this board is an awesome place and a good environment for these kinds of things.

Hormonal BC can often hinder or halt our weight loss efforts. Are there certain products or brands that would make things less of a challenge? Or that result in lower estrogen levels in our bloodstream? (is that what we even want?). Why is that?

Barrier methods, especially on their own, are too risky in my opinion, but are good as a second line of protection.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well to be honest I use the Paragard copper IUD. It is completely non-hormonal. It does not cause weight gain or acne. It also lasts for 10 years and can be removed easily and allow you to get pregnant right away if you decide you want a baby.

Mines been in for 6 years with no problems at all!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
In short..no, you would not want to try to alter your hormonal milieu while on oral BC as it would alter it's effectiveness.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
In short..no, you would not want to try to alter your hormonal milieu while on oral BC as it would alter it's effectiveness.
Different BP products all have different levels, some only one hormone etc, so they're not all the same exact level.

I have the Mirena. My doc didnt have the copper :( .

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I thought the Mirena had only a localised hormonal active?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Quite possibly. It is internal and "there". Does that mean that it wont affect my levels as much?
I copied this from their site.

Once Mirena is in place, it begins to slowly release small amounts of the hormone levonorgestrel into your uterus. It does not contain estrogen, so you can be free of estrogen-related side effects.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
My girl is having much E related sides from her current BC, weight gain is one... But the other is libido... Sad to say she has a fear of any implants (no idea...) we are currently hunting alternatives.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
My girl is having much E related sides from her current BC, weight gain is one... But the other is libido... Sad to say she has a fear of any implants (no idea...) we are currently hunting alternatives.
I had an implant. I had 2 courses of the same one before it was FDA approved - since i had it done while I was living overseas.

Its now approved in the US, but I would not recommend a skin implant for anyone who exercises a lot.

However, - an IUD is not an implant, there is no surgery to install or remove it. It is VERY easy, completely painless, and just as easily removed. Its much like a deep "tampon" but with benefits. I dont even notice I have it.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Not to be graphic, well maybe a little, but tell her that I had mine inserted 3 weeks after my son was born with a full set of episiotomy stitches and there was no pain. I was totally worked up as I'm a chicken so my DR gave me a shot in the cervix before he did it...he used lidocaine so maybe to calm her nerves she could ask. But the procedure was painless and very quick.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
Not to be graphic, well maybe a little, but tell her that I had mine inserted 3 weeks after my son was born with a full set of episiotomy stitches and there was no pain. I was totally worked up as I'm a chicken so my DR gave me a shot in the cervix before he did it...he used lidocaine so maybe to calm her nerves she could ask. But the procedure was painless and very quick.
no IUD pain relief or pain for me, all they did was dilate me. This "opens the door" so to speak, naturally.

Last edited:
crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
no IUD pain relief or pain for me, all they did was dilate me. This "opens the door" so to speak, naturally.
Well my Ob gave me a little shot because he told me that it was to soon after the baby. We decided not to wait until my period which is when the best time to insert it is. I also had third degree lacerations from an emergency vacuum birth. So needless to say I was apprehensive at him even attempting it with fresh stitches.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
True, i suppose I'd be a little apprehensive too if I were in your situation. I was lucky in that I didnt need any stitches either time.

Between us, we can illustrate that either way, its possible and relatively easy. :) Yes, Doing it on/just after your period makes it much easier too, which is what I did. Granted my youngest kiddo was 7 when I had it done.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Ditto on this. My wife is currenly on YAZ and it's reaking havoc on her libido. So an IUD will not cause any libido issues? Also, does it still have the same side effects such as increase blood clots, stroke etc... My wife is 28 and had a minor blood clot from birth control, which in when the dr. changed her BC to YAZ.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ditto on this. My wife is currenly on YAZ and it's reaking havoc on her libido. So an IUD will not cause any libido issues? Also, does it still have the same side effects such as increase blood clots, stroke etc... My wife is 28 and had a minor blood clot from birth control, which in when the dr. changed her BC to YAZ.
My IUD won't cause any of those sides as it has NO hormones. mine is the Paragard copper one. As it has no hormones it causes no libido issues :) I can't even tell its in and I've had it in for 7 years . Since its inserted by a DR it requires no additional work on her part.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
I copied this from their site.

Once Mirena is in place, it begins to slowly release small amounts of the hormone levonorgestrel into your uterus. It does not contain estrogen, so you can be free of estrogen-related side effects.

Mirena only has levonorgestrel (LNG), no estrogen. THis can be a convenient alternative to the copper one if your doc doesnt have the copper one.