Female Body Shapes - Which are you?

FemBot

FemBot

Awards
By: Karen Sessions

Female Bodybuilding Tips| Healthy Weight Loss Plan

Anyone who has ever worked out can tell you that there is not just one exercise program to fit all. If you are like most ladies, I'm sure there are body parts that you would like trim down, and others that you would like to add more size and shape to.

With all the conflicting information available to you, are you confused on how to properly workout to meet your body's needs? There is a solution. Identifying your body shape can remove a lot of the guesswork and refine your exercise program to satisfy your needs.

Your body shape is a direct result of your genetics, as well as lifestyle. You are a blueprint of your parents, grandparents, and so on. As true as this may be, you do have the power to change the plan. This change is made possible through your lifestyle, which are your food choices and activity level.

Basic Body Shape

There are 6 basic body shape frames that ladies fall into, and they are:

The "A Frame"

The "A Frame" lady is also known as the "Spoon Shape". These individuals carry extra weight in the lower region of the body, mainly in the hips, thighs and buttocks, while their waist and bust are small. Balance needs to be met by widening the shoulder girth and the back.

Cardio - This body type should zone in on lower body cardio to rid the excess weight in the lower region, such as walking, cycling, or use of the elliptical machine. Resistance training should be kept light to moderate. Avoid the stepper, as it can build more size to the legs. View Cardio exercises.

Resistance Training - To bring balance and harmony, add more poundage to the Shoulder Presses, Lateral Raises, and Pulldowns. Keep your repetitions on the lower end for your upper body, anywhere in the 6-8 range. View additional resistance training exercises.

It is best to keep Squats light to moderate, and include more Leg Extensions and Lunges. Maintain leg repetitions in the 10-15 range.

The "V Frame"

The "V Frame", also known as the "Cone Shape", lady has shoulders that are two or more inches wider than her hips. She usually has large bust, narrow hips, and thin legs. Balance needs to be met by bringing the lower body up to speed with the upper body.

Cardio - The stepper is a good form of cardio to burn calories and add thickness to the legs. The treadmill on an incline is also suitable, but this body type is best to avoid the elliptical machine, as it will lean the legs up too much. View Cardio exercises.

Resistance Training - To increase leg size, concentrate on quality thigh training. Basic power movements should compose the bulk of your leg exercises, such as Squats, Leg Presses and Stiff Deadlifts. Shaping exercises such as Extensions and Lunges are good finishers. Use moderate to heavy poundage and keep the repetitions on the lower end, in the 6-8 range.

The "H Frame"

The "H Frame" lady has an athletic build, but has a large waist and shoulders, and lacks symmetry. This body shape is squared off and blocky. Those who posses the "H Frame" really need to direct attention to their symmetry by minimizing the waist.

Cardio - Cardio choices should be focused on trimming the upper body and bringing out the symmetry. Such cardio tactics should include the treadmill on an incline and the stepper. View Cardio exercises.

Resistance Training - Proper lower body training is needed for balance to bring it up to par with the wide shoulders. Concentrate on Squats, Leg Press and Stiff Deadlifts as the bulk of your training, and use the Extension and Lunges as finishers. Use moderate to heavy poundage in the 6-8 repetition range.

The "Ruler"

The "Ruler" body shape's measurements of the chest, waist, and hips are fairly equal. This lady is lean, has a high metabolism, and doesn't gain weight very easily.

Cardio - Cardio should be kept to a minimum, preferably the stepper, and more focus should go on the resistance training. View Cardio exercises.

Resistance Training - Training should be intense and brief. Each muscle group should be trained once weekly. The focus should go into intensity and building symmetry through proper shoulder, back, and leg training. Use heavy compound movements such as Bench Presses, Shoulder Presses, Lat Pulldowns, Squats, etc. You want to put emphasis on building muscle, therefore keep the repetitions in the 6-8 repetition range.

The "8 Frame"

The "8 Frame", also know as the "Hourglass", is genetically gifted. They are the proper height and weight for their body. Their bust and hips are the same size, with the waist being 10 inches smaller… said to be the perfect figure from modeling experts. This lady's gains are evenly distributed, as well as fat loss.

Cardio - Cardio should be balanced with training. Any cardio technique is fine, and keeping a variety is best. View Cardio exercises.

Resistance Training - This is the ultimate body frame for bodybuilding and/or fitness. A balanced training program with a variety of exercises works well. Many find changing the workout program every 6-8 weeks productive, and an assortment of repetition ranges keeps the body off guard.

The "Oval Frame"

The "Oval Frame", also known as the "apple" is average height or shorter, large busted, has thin legs, and gains weight in the midsection.

Cardio - Routine cardio, such as the treadmill on an incline or the stepper, are necessary to generate overall weight loss. The elliptical machine should be avoided as it leans out the legs too much. View Cardio exercises.

Resistance Training - Weight training should be focused on the legs to create balance with the upper body. Include more Squats, Leg Presses, and Stiff Deadlifts to bring the lower body up to speed with the upper body. Maintain repetitions in the 6-8 range for balance.

Now you have first-rate information on how to train for your personal body shape. What are you waiting for? Go take action and take control!

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I enjoyed reading the 8 frame to my girl, nice confidence boost.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Hmm I don't think I fit any of them, but if I had to choose, I think I am an H? :confused:

tbaptista

tbaptista

Awards
Shape

Surefire H right here. Just looking to get back into shape after my first baby. Look like this I hope ---->:chick:

kaleyrae90

kaleyrae90

Awards
Small bust? Big butt and hips? Grade-A Shape right here! :p

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Where's the shape with the big ass? :D

That's the best shape around!

phunkyb

phunkyb

Awards
I am definitely an "8 frame." Glad to know that this will be beneficial to me in meeting my fitness goals.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
Right on the money- 8-frame. Functional total body high-intensity with Olympic lifts incorporated. Love what my workouts have helped me enhance, especially getting it back after I had my baby a year and a half ago.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Hmm I don't think I fit any of them, but if I had to choose, I think I am an H? :confused:
Yeah, me too?!? Maybe part V shape but with thicker lower, so part 8 too! :)

Great info...thanks Fembot!

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Haven't posted in awhile , usually just read most posts I find informative. My wife has been working out for 2 years lost some weight but stalled, she is more of I'd say an H Frame, she has done splits and moderate cardio and full body, she is 5,5 and just over 200, but pretty evenly distributed , somewhat stocky with alot of shoulder and arm size/fat, I have not been able to truly figure out the best diet and routine for her to lose the fat and keep some shape. If she could lose the top weight and stay and keep the bottom it would be good but I know it doesn't work like that. I figure at least try and build her lowe body more with various rep ranges, and keep it light to moderate for the top , with just incline walking on treadmill , buy diet I just don't know anymore she is a stay at home mom and but honestly does not get a whole lot of movement compared to if she was on her feet and working all day. Sometimes I think that is reason for her stopped progress, also lack of sleep I think is a big culprit too, bed at 10 or 11 and gym at 5 , all depending on when our 3 year old finally gives in to sleep. She has taken off the last 2 months and now getting more sleep but she wants to go back , please any advice diet and routine wise to help her get remotivated and get results. Sorry for long post

Katie Rae

Awards
Where has this information been all my life? Absolutely brilliant and points out something I've noticed about how certain types of workouts just seem to work better for me.

Katie Rae

Awards
I probably don't know nearly as much as many of the others here. I've kinda just been here reading and they seem to really know their stuff, but I've worked out pretty consistently since I was 16 (I'm 28 now) and I find that when I get too comfortable with a certain routine I stop seeing results. I'm a stay at home mom that works out at home. I don't have a gym or time to really go to a gym. Maybe you could buy her some DVDs. I find having a wide variety of workouts on DVD is key for me. It really helped me to bounce back after having kids. Also having a wide variety of equipment helps if you get your workouts at home. It's great for the kids to see too. It starts good habits for them to see that their parents take care of themselves.

macrosemary

macrosemary

Awards
I am totally a V. I look like Justin Bieber wants to :)

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Katie, thanks for the insight, right now she is remotivated and going back this week 3 times a week and is planning on doing more around the house. I think before that was the biggest problem was , she'd workout in the morning and sit on the couch most of the day. I told her time and time again that will just make you more tired and all. But she didn't wanna hear it, now she's realizing it. And is refocused.

Katie Rae

Awards
Katie, thanks for the insight, right now she is remotivated and going back this week 3 times a week and is planning on doing more around the house. I think before that was the biggest problem was , she'd workout in the morning and sit on the couch most of the day. I told her time and time again that will just make you more tired and all. But she didn't wanna hear it, now she's realizing it. And is refocused.
No problem.....she'll get there. Just keep encouraging her. True health and fitness takes consistent effort and work. It doesn't really happen overnight although we all wish it did. Once she gets in a good habit it will feel like second nature.....Good luck to your wife!

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
This is interesting! thru my whole teens I been wanting to change my body shape. it is 'ruler' based on above. I wanted curves lol.

I am glad my training right now matches what is described though. Gainz is where its at :)

David147

Awards
The perfect body shape is obtained by eating whole foods and not spazzing out every little imperfection.