Carb Cycling!

JamieRK1216

JamieRK1216

Awards
Does anyone carb cycle 1 low/1 high?? These week I'm trying to do one day of around 50 carbs and then a day of about 200. Has anyone ever tried this?? Or do y'all usually do 2 low/1 high? I want your opinions and experiences! :)

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I have done two high days in one week and those two days land on lower body days. I have never done 1 low then 1 high. But if you are putting the work in the gym I don't see why this wouldn't reap the benefits! What do your fats and protein look like on the lower carb day. I am bulking but was thinking of doing low carb days on my REST days...

JamieRK1216

JamieRK1216

Awards
I did that too and it worked good! I'm just trying something different just to experiment lol. Low carb days are 50g carbs, 185g protein, and just somewhere around 70g fat. And yeah that sounds like a good idea!

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I did that too and it worked good! I'm just trying something different just to experiment lol. Low carb days are 50g carbs, 185g protein, and just somewhere around 70g fat. And yeah that sounds like a good idea!
What do you do with bloating and gas with that much protein LOL - do you count veggies as carbs?

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
I find it best to carb cycle based on activity level of each day.

High activity day = higher carbs, moderate activity day = moderate carbs & low activity days = low carbs.

I personally incorporate a few other things with it (carb timing and carb backload).

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards

High activity day = higher carbs, moderate activity day = moderate carbs & low activity days = low carbs.

I personally incorporate a few other things with it (carb timing and carb backload).
^this

My carb cycle structure was the following
-day1: high carb
Day2- no carb
Day 3,4,5 - low carb
Day 6 mod carb
Day 7 no carb.

If u are interesting in the exact macro breakdown of that than pm me. Most people however don't need to carb cycle. Clean calorie deficient diets are typically adequate. I find carb cycling beneficial to break through plateau s.

IMG_0213.JPG
Above I was at 14% bf and go there from 25% body fat pure off clean eating 1600 calories per day and no cardio. I still hadn't plateau' at that point.

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

I agree with this approach. Base carbs on activity level for the day and take the majority in around your workouts, before and after.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
What does someone consider a lower carb day? I have read many variations. Some say 1g per body weight and some say not going over 100g or not going over 50g.
UnicornDrpns might have some good suggestions?

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What does someone consider a lower carb day? I have read many variations. Some say 1g per body weight and some say not going over 100g or not going over 50g.
That is were it can get a little confusing, cause just like how many calories and individual can handle it comes down to how much carbs can they handle.
Personally for me 100 and below is low carb but I put on weight easy both fat and muscle so I have to be conservative with my carbs.

So like most things with fitness you have to do some trial and error for yourself.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards

If I'm carb cycling :
No carbs: less than 30 (literally no carbs unless it's vegetables)
Low carbs : less than 70
Moderate carbs: 180
High carbs :240