Farmer's walk with 45lb

Maria

Maria

Awards
What do you girls think of this unconventional exercise for core strength and legs ?

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All versions of weighted carries are great. Suitcases, waiters, goblet carries, all great

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What do you girls think of this unconventional exercise for core strength and legs ?
I personally don't do farmer walks at all, but it really depends on what ur goals r ...

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Farmers walks are awesome! I like them at the end of a chest/back day. Blows me right up.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would I benefit from them ? U know my goals n current training plan.... I'm just curious Piston Honda
I think they're great for balance, cardio, grip strength, endurance...many benefits besides just aesthetic.

Mags, I think if you did them after an upper body workout you'd really see that "Cobra back" once your lats and shoulders get a few reps in. One thing I notice with them is to watch your thumb grip; don't make a fist, keep the palm uncovered.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think they're great for balance, cardio, grip strength, endurance...many benefits besides just aesthetic. Mags, I think if you did them after an upper body workout you'd really see that "Cobra back" once your lats and shoulders get a few reps in. One thing I notice with them is to watch your thumb grip; don't make a fist, keep the palm uncovered.
U mean they classify as cardio too? Nice!
Well that sounds like my kind of cardio then...
Aaand u know I will do anything for a bigger back lol...
I'm gonna throw em in on Tuesday post back n chest training...
I won't do the full grip...
Ooh, I'm pumped! I've never done those before...
Always nice to have something new to look forward to...
Is it Tuesday yet? Ha ha....
Thank u my friend!!!
:)

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
U mean they classify as cardio too? Nice! Well that sounds like my kind of cardio then... Aaand u know I will do anything for a bigger back lol... I'm gonna throw em in on Tuesday post back n chest training... I won't do the full grip... Ooh, I'm pumped! I've never done those before... Always nice to have something new to look forward to... Is it Tuesday yet? Ha ha.... Thank u my friend!!! :)
Well, it's hard to breathe when your chest and arms are on fire as you're walking!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
OP whats the overall goal?

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
image-3929521659.jpg

Farmers walk's will give you a nasty set of traps, phenomenal for core work, and an overall great posterior chain development exercise. Keep your abs tight, chest up and use heavy ass weight.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Core strength, absolutely. Just make sure to keep good posture and upright as you walk and you'll feel these bad boys from your neck to your waist.

Legs, not so much. Your arms will be tired long before you legs will. If you wanna work legs just do dumbbell lunges. Same amount of upper body work as the farmer walk but the lunge will CRUSH your legs.

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like them. My gym doesn't have farmer walk handles, so I grab two 45 plates, one in each hand, and walk back and forth in an open aerobic room until my grip starts to fail. Great to use at the end of a workout.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like them. My gym doesn't have farmer walk handles, so I grab two 45 plates, one in each hand, and walk back and forth in an open aerobic room until my grip starts to fail. Great to use at the end of a workout.
FtaGripz on Dbs gets me for grip work everytime

Maria

Maria

Awards
I do the exact same thing . Only do it once in a while though , don't want to gain on my traps

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Because its not included in my goals & preferences :)
What r ur goals? If u don't mind sharing..
I am a figure competitor.. N yes, I checked with my coach n no farmer walks for this girl, lol...
( sad panda).....

Maria

Maria

Awards
What r ur goals? If u don't mind sharing.. I am a figure competitor.. N yes, I checked with my coach n no farmer walks for this girl, lol... ( sad panda).....
Well I went back to the gym a year ago , trying to get back in shape , after years of being inactive (mother or a 2 year old at that time ) . My goal was to lose body fat and gain more muscle mass all over : get fit as some would say . Now , a year later I am where I wanted to be : fit , shredded a lot of body fat , strong , comfortable being naked again . I'm not competing , I'm not doing anything professional just trying to keep a tight body with no diet :)

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well I went back to the gym a year ago , trying to get back in shape , after years of being inactive (mother or a 2 year old at that time ) . My goal was to lose body fat and gain more muscle mass all over : get fit as some would say . Now , a year later I am where I wanted to be : fit , shredded a lot of body fat , strong , comfortable being naked again . I'm not competing , I'm not doing anything professional just trying to keep a tight body with no diet :)
That is fantastic girl! U look amazing!
Keep doing what ur doing...
:)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are you guys using for weight? I see gokix uses 45 plates until failure... How long do I want to be able to carry the load?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What are you guys using for weight? I see gokix uses 45 plates until failure... How long do I want to be able to carry the load?
Depends what your goal is. For a more cardio type workout, lighter and for longer or heavier and shorter rests.

For pure grip strength, as heavy as possible for as long as possible.

For a nice mix, go fairly heavy but something you can hold for at least 30-60sec

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends what your goal is. For a more cardio type workout, lighter and for longer or heavier and shorter rests.

For pure grip strength, as heavy as possible for as long as possible.

For a nice mix, go fairly heavy but something you can hold for at least 30-60sec
Grip strength, although everything I do busts a sweat. Thanks.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Grip strength, although everything I do busts a sweat. Thanks.
Heavy as you can handle then. Carry a few extra steps each week and you'll be crushing hands in no time.