Need advice on gaining weight

LiveFit

LiveFit

Awards
New here! I've recently had a baby 7 months ago (I guess that's not too recent) but after cutting back on eating I've dropped down to 110lbs. I'm wanting to gain healthy weight/muscle.. Any advice on what I can eat and snack on to put on around 10-15 lbs? I'm in the gym around 3-4 times a week now. Hoping to increase that soon to put on a lot of muscle.

Mp859

Mp859

Awards
New here! I've recently had a baby 7 months ago (I guess that's not too recent) but after cutting back on eating I've dropped down to 110lbs. I'm wanting to gain healthy weight/muscle.. Any advice on what I can eat and snack on to put on around 10-15 lbs? I'm in the gym around 3-4 times a week now. Hoping to increase that soon to put on a lot of muscle.
Upping calories will obviously do it. But probably focus on upping protein intake by doing that and keeping carbs relatively low you should be able to accomplish what it is you are trying to.

I'm sure someone else would be able to chime in,in the nutrition Section

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im assuming you want to put on lean body mass. the reason i say this is because with pure mass, carbs are your best friend. with what you are doing, it will be a slow process. gaining muscle while staying lean (im assuming this is what you want). keep cardio to a minimum, eat clean, and lift heavy and hard.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm dealing with a client now in a similar situation. No baby but she's dieted down and now wants to put on mass, lean mass. Diet and lifting heavy are the two key points, especially for women (since a lot don't train "heavy")

What is your metabolism like? And how tall are you?

I have my client on moderate protein, about 1.3gr/lbs body mass and focusing on a moderate/high of good fats. Not a carb cycling diet per say, but carb intake differs on training days vs. non training. Low intensity cardio is plugged in to her routine but nothing crazy

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm dealing with a client now in a similar situation. No baby but she's dieted down and now wants to put on mass, lean mass. Diet and lifting heavy are the two key points, especially for women (since a lot don't train "heavy")

What is your metabolism like? And how tall are you?

I have my client on moderate protein, about 1.3gr/lbs body mass and focusing on a moderate/high of good fats. Not a carb cycling diet per say, but carb intake differs on training days vs. non training. Low intensity cardio is plugged in to her routine but nothing crazy

yeah im training a chick right now trying to get her down 15 -20 pounds then put on some mass. very important to lift heavy.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah im training a chick right now trying to get her down 15 -20 pounds then put on some mass. very important to lift heavy.
It's the hard part, she's not new training but she usually has more in the tank than she thinks. Especially on compound movements.

We did some DC stuff last week and she was always in the 5-7reps on her last RP, waaaay too many. She also said her biceps have never been that sore in her life lol.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's the hard part, she's not new training but she usually has more in the tank than she thinks. Especially on compound movements.

We did some DC stuff last week and she was always in the 5-7reps on her last RP, waaaay too many. She also said her biceps have never been that sore in her life lol.
once they get going and understand what they are doing, it will click for them. i just got off of DC and the girl im training was on it for a few weeks and never complained and gave me all she had. on window maker squats, she was shaking on reps 15-20. thats how u know they are pushing their limit!

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
once they get going and understand what they are doing, it will click for them. i just got off of DC and the girl im training was on it for a few weeks and never complained and gave me all she had. on window maker squats, she was shaking on reps 15-20. thats how u know they are pushing their limit!
"Window maker squats"
Sounds interesting... Any squat sounds fun to me!

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, I've never heard of them. Are they like plie' squats or sumo squats?

normal squats. load the bar for what you would do for 10 reps but u have to hit 20 reps. from rep 10-20 you are allowed to pause at the top of the squat and catch your breath or rest for a few seconds

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
normal squats. load the bar for what you would do for 10 reps but u have to hit 20 reps. from rep 10-20 you are allowed to pause at the top of the squat and catch your breath or rest for a few seconds
So where did Window Maker come from??? LOL
Not seeing the relation...

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha it is called a widow maker set. Not necessarily squats but definitely the most common exercise for this type of set. Pretty much you are going to feel like death afterwards if done correctly.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think, and let me reiterate I THINK, it's bc it's designed to kill you (your legs) thus leaving your wife/GF widowed. Similar to the first jack hammers used during the building of the US cross country railroad ;-)

More common name is from the left coronary artery.

Just used 2 college classes in 1 am post, feeling really accomplished today :lol:

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Good foods you can eat would be.

Protein's
Chicken: go to bulk stores I go to GFS and get 40# boxes at about last box I got for 1.44# big box store was 3.75.

Fish: expensive so I don't buy it often.

Lean beef: expensive so I don't buy it often.

Pork: especially loin it's cheap and lean.

Beans: hummus make it your self low to no oil, falafel, succotash, bean purées, sprouts.

Eggs: yolks are huge debate I eat 2 whole 6 whites a day, if your working fairly intensely the fat won't even matter and there very good for you.

I don't touch dairy any more I used to drink a gallon of milk a day, the only thing I use now on occasion is raw buttermilk for making soda bread.

Carbs

Sweet potatoes
Yams
Potatoes
Rice: millions of different types
Quinoa
Grits
Oats
Raisins
Bananas
Honey
Whole breads: rye, wheat, spelt, real pumpernickel

Fat

Olive oil
Flax oil : food additive only, not for cooking
Sesame seed oil : food additive only, not for cooking
Butter
Nuts

This is what the base of my diet is comprised of. Then I add in veg, and sometimes fruit.

FUBARMD

Awards
  • Established
Every food market/store should have a discounted meat/chicken section (soon to expire) I usually stash up when I see decent deals and freeze it immediately to use later on