Lifting Heavy

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I teach 3-4 classes per semester at the University of Kentucky kinesiology department. I spend a decent amount of time each semester discussing the myth that 1. women cannot/should not get strong 2. lifting heavy will bulk women up 3. women will not look 'good' if they lift heavy, and the importance of lifting hard for women. I decided to further this stance in my most recent article, and also gave a few workout examples.

I invite you to share with your friends, etc

Optimal beach performance – For women « jasoncholewa

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Thanks for that Jason. I'll show the girl. No matter how much I tell her she won't get big and beefy she still thinks she will.

Reynold

Awards
According to me this step is good for all junior players and good step you teach everyone in class this is good for all students..........

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
Zir, is it possible that for some women this is not the case? I put my fiancé on a heavy lifting program - full body, 3x/week, with varied set/rep schemes + plenty of cardio - and I can attest to the fact that she did indeed start looking bulkier. Do you have any advice? She really wants to trim down before our wedding in 4 months.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Truth,

Increase the amount of conditioning she is doing. Its likely she gained some muscle, but did not lose any fat, and that is why she looks bulkier. Also, stick to mostly unilateral movements, so perhaps 2-3 sets of 5 rep squats, then the rest of the leg workout do lunges, single leg RDL's, split squats, etc.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Zir, is it possible that for some women this is not the case? I put my fiancé on a heavy lifting program - full body, 3x/week, with varied set/rep schemes + plenty of cardio - and I can attest to the fact that she did indeed start looking bulkier. Do you have any advice? She really wants to trim down before our wedding in 4 months.
and how was her diet the whole time?

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the tip Zir! I think she may have reduced her cardio slightly to only 2 or so days a week during this time period now that I think about it. Also, her diet is usually spot on, but I'm sure there is room for improvement there as well. Will have her give it another go with increased conditioning and strict strict strict diet. Thanks!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Conditioning. Have her run sprints, or do some sort of sprint (cycle or swimming or rowing erg) type training. 45 minutes on the elyptical at 75% max heart rate will not cut it.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Zir...is it enough to do the Tabata protocol at the start of a CV session a couple of times a week. So for eg. on the rowing machine 20s sprint, 10 sec rest x 8 for a total of four minutes followed by 30 - 40 mins CV?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you do the HIIT right, then you shouldn't need much additional cardiovascular training. I would say do one day high volume with shorter rest periods (tabata) and another lower volume with longer rest periods but at a higher intensity/effort.

PROness

Awards
If you do the HIIT right, then you shouldn't need much additional cardiovascular training. I would say do one day high volume with shorter rest periods (tabata) and another lower volume with longer rest periods but at a higher intensity/effort.
Tabatas one day... max effort sprints/prowler pushes/ sled pulls the next... repeat until at desired body fat.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Jesus, what a sausage fest this site is

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
comin from a guy with a mullet
i don't have a hair on my head shorter than 8 or 9 inches. Not sure how thats relevant to every post in the female fitness section being from dudes but whatever