Noob question about calories

MalloryK

Awards
Hi, I apologise in advance for the question, my brain can't process anything I've read so I thought I'd ask first hand.

I'm trying to lose a bit of fat as well as get fit, so I'm aiming for 1200-1300 calories per day.

I burn 400 calories 6x a week at the gym.

Should I therefore be eating 1600 (adding to my cals that which I have burnt off at the gym) or still aiming for 1200-1300?

I've been generally allowing myself to eat up to 1600 and I've got to say, my weight is not budging, but I'm assuming this is because I'm doing a lot at the gym. I'm wondering if gym + 1200 will be more effective.

Thanks for any response and apologies again because I should know this! :)

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi, I apologise in advance for the question, my brain can't process anything I've read so I thought I'd ask first hand.

I'm trying to lose a bit of fat as well as get fit, so I'm aiming for 1200-1300 calories per day.

I burn 400 calories 6x a week at the gym.

Should I therefore be eating 1600 (adding to my cals that which I have burnt off at the gym) or still aiming for 1200-1300?

I've been generally allowing myself to eat up to 1600 and I've got to say, my weight is not budging, but I'm assuming this is because I'm doing a lot at the gym. I'm wondering if gym + 1200 will be more effective.

Thanks for any response and apologies again because I should know this! :)
You answered your own question right here^^

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First, I suggest you calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). It calculates in your activity level, weight, and height and makes crunching numbers a lot easier:

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

Once you know your TDEE you can create a deficit. The idea is to gradually decrease calories once weight loss stalls. To start off, the guideline says to reduce your TDEE by 500 calories.

1200-1300 calories daily is very low, especially if you're killing it in the gym 6x a week. Also, what do these 1200 calories consist of, what is your diet like?

Lifting weights is also great addition to any workout routine if you're not already doing it. Hope that helps. :)

MalloryK

Awards
Gokix thank you very much, that was useful to read!

So basically my TDEE = 2114

Therefore to cut the 3500 per week I should be eating 1614 cals.

Based on the fact I've been doing this, I'm going to try cutting a further 200 for a week and see if it has any effect.

Thanks for the help :)

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are welcome. :)

Gokix thank you very much, that was useful to read!

So basically my TDEE = 2114

Based on the fact I've been doing this, I'm going to try cutting a further 200 for a week and see if it has any effect.

Thanks for the help :)

Sirsh

Sirsh

Awards
As a general rule of thumb try get your macro nutrients to 40%C/40%P/20%F, which would be: 162g Carbs, 162g Protein and 36g Fat. If you're not seeing your weight budge, maybe you need to have a cheat meal or re-feed to put your body back into 'fat burning mode' you could say.