Help! I'm skinny fat!

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

Help! I'm skinny fat!

I am 5'7", 140 lb female - an avid runner but am skinny fat. I believe I am in the mid 20's with my body fat percentage.
    Goal - reduce body fat by 10%, gain muscle mass and definition.
    My diet is clean - I do not eat gluten or dairy, I increased my protein intake and have also started taking a multivitamin, protein shake (rice protein), and bcaa's and glutamine post workout. I am eating about 5 small meals a day.

Here is what I need your expert advice on:
    1. For weight lifting - should I start out with a total body regimen or focus on one muscle group/day. What type of workout would you recommend?
    2. I run about anywhere from 20 to 30 miles each week - I have heard that this can cause muscle loss and want to know if that is true and how to prevent it from happening.
    3. Thoughts on additional supplements such as creatine monohydrate, fat burners, etc. I am hesitant to try these right now as I am just starting with weight lifting but would that be something to consider?

Thank you so much for your time!

Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Skiny fat = sexy on girls. Stay near 20% bf otgerwise u can kiss your butt and hips and boobs goodbye
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.26%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

^^ lol. Girls do need a higher BF% anyway, but not necessarily for those reasons. Its also important for menstruation and things.
    I'll leave question one for now, question two: forget what you heard about muscle loss during cardio, at least half of my posts have been on this subject. A small portion of muscle may be broken down during exercise, but nothing to worry yourself over, as long as you are eating enough.

And thats the key, you want to gain mass and do cardio which means you are going to have to eat alot to promote muscle growth and adequatly supply your muscles with fuel.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.92%

1. I would recommend breaking up your exercise into groups. Something like (1) chest, back and shoulders, (2) bicep, triceps, (3) legs.

2. I'm an avid runner too. Unfortunately running too much does make you go catabolic (aka. Lose muscle). I would recommend running for less than an hour and probably only two or three times a week. That way you don't over do it and you'll see results in the other areas you are focusing in.

3. As for supplements I would recommend CEE or Kre-Alkaline. These are more advance forms of creatine. The Monohydrate form causes some water retention and bloating. For men it helps make them look more swollen and such, I wouldn't recommend this for a female who wants to be tight. The supplement CEE or Kre-Alkaline will also help you retain lean mass during your attempts to lose body fat.
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Honestly, u sound hawt. U should post pics for us to drool over UHHHH i mean critique
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.92%

In regards to Jiigzz comment, cardio is great but too much at one time does more harm than good.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.26%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Hajiroku View Post
    1. I would recommend breaking up your exercise into groups. Something like (1) chest, back and shoulders, (2) bicep, triceps, (3) legs.

2. I'm an avid runner too. Unfortunately running too much does make you go catabolic (aka. Lose muscle). I would recommend running for less than an hour and probably only two or three times a week. That way you don't over do it and you'll see results in the other areas you are focusing in.
    3. As for supplements I would recommend CEE or Kre-Alkaline. These are more advance forms of creatine. The Monohydrate form causes some water retention and bloating. For men it helps make them look more swollen and such, I wouldn't recommend this for a female who wants to be tight. The supplement CEE or Kre-Alkaline will also help you retain lean mass during your attempts to lose body fat.
    Not necessarily, undergoing a lot of HIIT may mean that meeting calorie needs is almost impossible, but moderate cardio should be fine. Its all about eating, and eating alot.

As for the split, most people train with this kind of split; Day 1: Chest, Tricep or Biceps, Day 2: Back, Biceps or triceps, Day 3: Legs, Day Four:Shoulders + whatever. I usually mix in ab exercises every 2nd or 3rd workout because a strong core wil translate to better lifts.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

You all are awesome, thank you so much for the feedback. I am looking forward to taking all of it and putting it to great use.

ThunderHumper - lol, thanks! I will post a pic once I get to my goal I do appreciate the ego boost though!

Thanks!
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Not necessarily, undergoing a lot of HIIT may mean that meeting calorie needs is almost impossible, but moderate cardio should be fine. Its all about eating, and eating alot.
    I definitely am not eating enough. What would you recommend for caloric intake per day and protein/fat/carb breakdown? My biggest reason for not eating enough is I don't have a big appetite.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15%

Remember to use low reps with higher weights (weight you work up to..not right at the beginning of course) to help build muscle. Good luck!
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.26%

An appitite is something you can train, build on and sustain. Firstly, i highly recommend finding out what your daily caloric needs are and then comparing your needed intakes with actual intake. This will allow you to adjust it easier. Rememebr calorie excess is required to grow (but not to much in excess. maybe 500kcals). If you are struggling to eat more, then start blending foods into a drink, this will make it much easier for you to get in thsoe extra kcals.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

Thank you for the great advice. Based on skin calipers I am 16.5% body fat which I really think is lower than what I am but I'll take it for now until I can get into a Bod Pod. I'm going to work on the appetite and heavy weights. I will let you know how it goes.
    Thank you again!
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Told u u was hawt
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHumper View Post
    Told u u was hawt
    Thanks ThunderHumper.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz
    An appitite is something you can train, build on and sustain. Firstly, i highly recommend finding out what your daily caloric needs are and then comparing your needed intakes with actual intake. This will allow you to adjust it easier. Rememebr calorie excess is required to grow (but not to much in excess. maybe 500kcals). If you are struggling to eat more, then start blending foods into a drink, this will make it much easier for you to get in thsoe extra kcals.
    I do this daily. You can make some pretty tasty shakes that can be quite high in calories. Put water, vanilla whey, a banana, half cup of oatmeal and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter in a blender 560 calories 38g protein 62g carbs and 18g fats!
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  140 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

Quote Originally Posted by Lukef2000 View Post
    I do this daily. You can make some pretty tasty shakes that can be quite high in calories. Put water, vanilla whey, a banana, half cup of oatmeal and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter in a blender 560 calories 38g protein 62g carbs and 18g fats!
    Thank you! I have added this to my list of recipes - shakes do seem to be the easiest way for me to up my caloric intake.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help! Skinny guy here
    By muscle29 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-27-2009, 10:28 AM
  2. SKINNY FAT
    By classic27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 04:51 PM
  3. im skinny
    By acidrain in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7