how much muscle?

CuriousYogurt

CuriousYogurt

Awards
so, how much muscle can women typically gain naturally with weightlifting in, let's say, a year?

I'm just asking because I want to set myself realistic goals in terms of gaining muscle (and losing fat), and I don't really know what to aim for. I've been (seriously) weight training for the past ~3 years, and realistically probably gained about 8 lbs of muscle total. I had kinda hoped that it would be more.

Thanks!

CuriousYogurt

CuriousYogurt

Awards
no one knows?

I know women gain less muscle then men, but ~2-3lbs of muscle a year max just doesn't sound right.

Well, maybe I *just* need to up the dedication and find out ....

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mr. Google told that a woman can gain 1/2 pound a week. Who really knows though. I mean Mr.Google says a lot of things. He gave me About 9,780,000 results (0.30 seconds).

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
Lol wow. As a man, i wish i can gain 1/2lb of muscle a week. Thats almost 30lbs a year

CuriousYogurt

CuriousYogurt

Awards
Mr. Google told that a woman can gain 1/2 pound a week. Who really knows though. I mean Mr.Google says a lot of things. He gave me About 9,780,000 results (0.30 seconds).
I tried google first too, but I found some wildly differing numbers. Maybe it depends too much on how long one has been training, the intensity of training, and diet and supplements, and genetics? Or maybe nobody has ever "measured" that?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
depends on how much you eat and what you eat.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
2 to 3 pounds a year sounds about right to me. Remember, we're talking LEAN mass. A man, naturally, can gave about 5 lbs a year of LEAN mass. There are a lot of chunky guys on "bulking" (aka fattening) cycles that claim to gain a lot more, but it just doesn't happen naturally. If you get your bodyfat down, you will REALLY notice 2 to 3 pounds of mass on a petite 5'8" female frame.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Lol wow. As a man, i wish i can gain 1/2lb of muscle a week. Thats almost 30lbs a year
Thought if all cards were lined up you would gain around 25lbs a year.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
Thought if all cards were lined up you would gain around 25lbs a year.
Maybe on anabolics, or with powerful blaq genetics. Otherwise 25lbs a year of straight muscle is hella impossible

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
around 1/4lb a week is pretty much peak for men naturally, after the first couple of years training. so half or less than half that for women sounds right. keep in mind too that women start off lighter and smaller, so beyond the testosterone part, 1/8th pound a week proportionately for a woman isn't bad.