How much is to much?

ninarene

ninarene

Awards
Hello!
My name is nina. I've been addicted to working out since November 2010 and I'm down 77 pounds. I was wondering how much protein is to much? I Love building my new muscles. I'm 5'7" and 133 . I would love to get my legs defines but they seem to be my biggest issue. Everything else is doing great. Should I take more protein? Or less? Or workout heavier? My boyfriend really helps me allot but he does not need to workout his legs :/. Any advice?

Anything is helpful!
Thanks

Nina

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hello!
My name is nina. I've been addicted to working out since November 2010 and I'm down 77 pounds. I was wondering how much protein is to much? I Love building my new muscles. I'm 5'7" and 133 . I would love to get my legs defines but they seem to be my biggest issue. Everything else is doing great. Should I take more protein? Or less? Or workout heavier? My boyfriend really helps me allot but he does not need to workout his legs :/. Any advice?

Anything is helpful!
Thanks

Nina
High rep squats or leg presses and lunges seem to build good wheels for the ladies.
What your duet look like now?
(I'm no expert as all I know about women fitness is the bb articles that Jamie Eason writes lol. )

ninarene

ninarene

Awards
High rep squats or leg presses and lunges seem to build good wheels for the ladies.
What your duet look like now?
(I'm no expert as all I know about women fitness is the bb articles that Jamie Eason writes lol. )
What is a duet? That's me in the picture by my name. I've been doing tons of lunges/squats and my legs are always sore! (I love Jamie Eason!)

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is a duet? That's me in the picture by my name. I've been doing tons of lunges/squats and my legs are always sore! (I love Jamie Eason!)
oops, posted that on my iPad. Diet~
Carbs
Protein
Fat

ninarene

ninarene

Awards
oops, posted that on my iPad. Diet~
Carbs
Protein
Fat
Okay let's see. M
Wake up have a protein shake
After gym eat egg whites, avocado, tomato
2 1/2 hour later meal with 20 carbs or less, under 8g of fat, and 16g or more of protein
2 1/2 hour later the same thing
2 1/2 hour later same thing again
2 1/2 later protein shake

And if I'm not sleeping 2 1/2 hours after that then I have one more before bed.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so basically,
120g protein
60g carbs
50g fat
That is VERY low.
but then again you are a pretty light female.
As far as protein goes you aren't eating a WHOLE lot. But if you want to gain muscle I would add more carbs. Around the workout window for energy purposes. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter WHEN you eat them, just get them in when you want and when it will make you feel the best.

How are energy levels?

I'm sure Rosie will chime in later (she's VERY helpful)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Welcome to AM!
This can be a helpful place.
Congrats on losing 77lbs

So you want more definition in your legs? Have you been working legs at all so far or just doing cardio to drop the fat?

ninarene

ninarene

Awards
so basically,
120g protein
60g carbs
50g fat
That is VERY low.
but then again you are a pretty light female.
As far as protein goes you aren't eating a WHOLE lot. But if you want to gain muscle I would add more carbs. Around the workout window for energy purposes. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter WHEN you eat them, just get them in when you want and when it will make you feel the best.

How are energy levels?

I'm sure Rosie will chime in later (she's VERY helpful)
Okay more carbs. I will give it a shot. I, just scared of carbs because they are so tasty!

ninarene

ninarene

Awards
Welcome to AM!
This can be a helpful place.
Congrats on losing 77lbs

So you want more definition in your legs? Have you been working legs at all so far or just doing cardio to drop the fat?
I work my legs out every 4 days or so. I do squats lunges leg press good girl/bad girl and calves. I'm using weight with everything i do. I do cardio every day except leg day. And it's usually star master at level 120 for 30 minutes because I was told not to run to much.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay more carbs. I will give it a shot. I, just scared of carbs because they are so tasty!
just don't get out of control. Maybe add something like 25g a day to the post workout and see how you feel, look, and perform (In the gym). If it's not enough bump it up, if you feel like you're gaining fat, perhaps bump up the protein a bit. Or could be you do better on fats and need to just cut out the 25g of carbs and maybe add some almonds to your night time shake. All about understanding the body. :D

Good luck!

ninarene

ninarene

Awards
just don't get out of control. Maybe add something like 25g a day to the post workout and see how you feel, look, and perform (In the gym). If it's not enough bump it up, if you feel like you're gaining fat, perhaps bump up the protein a bit. Or could be you do better on fats and need to just cut out the 25g of carbs and maybe add some almonds to your night time shake. All about understanding the body. :D

Good luck!
Thanks for all the info :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello!

Anything is helpful!
Thanks

Nina
If you want muscle gains, I recommend that you read the article Macronutrient Composition for Optimal Muscle Growth in the eBook Maximize Your Muscle Growth. The standard rule of thumb re protein intake is Just briefly, the excerpt for this article: "To achieve muscle accretion one must have a positive energy balance (~15% above maintenance), a moderate to high carbohydrate intake (55-50% total daily energy) to fuel resistance sessions, optimal protein intake (25-30% total daily energy) to ensure protein synthesis, and an adequate fat intake (15-20% total daily energy) to prevent testosterone levels falling. This article briefly discusses the required energy intake and macronutrient composition of that energy for optimal muscle growth."

If you want to get your legs defined, then you need to a) build muscle mass there, and b) get lean enough to see the definition. There is an article on how to train for muscle mass in that eBook as well - take a look at it, or check it out here: Muscle Building: Hypertrophy and Physiology - How To Lift Weights To Maximize Mass.

As far as training, you need to train appropriately for muscle gains. There are general guidelines for this re reps and sets, etc., but at the end of the day, you have to do what works for YOU. Start with a "base" plan and go from there, adapting as you go along. I personally fine as heavy as I can go for a specific set number of reps - anywhere as low as 3-5 to 8-12, even up to 15, depending on the body-part.

If you're not sure about what you're doing, then I recommend getting yourself a Trainer who can and will design and INDIVIDUALIZE a Training Programme and Nutrition Plan SPECIFICALLY FOR YOU.

Okay let's see. M
Wake up have a protein shake
After gym eat egg whites, avocado, tomato
2 1/2 hour later meal with 20 carbs or less, under 8g of fat, and 16g or more of protein
2 1/2 hour later the same thing
2 1/2 hour later same thing again
2 1/2 later protein shake

And if I'm not sleeping 2 1/2 hours after that then I have one more before bed.
You're NOT Eating enough for muscle gains. Do NOT be scared of carbohydrates - they are NOT the enemy! If you want to make muscle gains, then you NEED to get your NUTRITION RIGHT - the primary reason people do not gain is because they do NOT eat enough! Do NOT be scared of eating!

I work my legs out every 4 days or so. I do squats lunges leg press good girl/bad girl and calves. I'm using weight with everything i do. I do cardio every day except leg day. And it's usually star master at level 120 for 30 minutes because I was told not to run to much.
SQUAT. Deadlift. If you're not doing these, add them in as well. You don't need to do cardio every day - this is personal preference, and if you do it, make sure that you are eating enough to COVER that cost AND for gains! You can run if you want - just make sure you are eating enough for YOU TO MAKE GAINS!

To take the guesswork out of everything, a Trainer is definitely one of the better things you can do for yourself. If you want to get one, check out my website: Rosie's MuscleRevolution and see what I do and offer my Clients. Also check out some of my Client Testimonials - I have had a lot of success with those wanting muscle gains.

If you don't get a Trainer, then I recommend doing as much personal research as you possibly can on gaining muscle mass - there is plenty of information out there (including on my website in the Articles: Gaining Muscle section).

All the best!

~Rosie~

tashygirl

tashygirl

Banned
Awards
I agree with Rosie Chee! It's one or the other but definitely keep your calories up and get into the habit of squatting or deadlifting! At least squats but for me dead lifting really helps with less back cramps! Just don't over strain your back with too much weight but again depending on your goal!