Need some advice for my gf

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
She wants to lose weight from having a baby last year so I have her eating 1600 cals and doing an hour of weight training with 1 min between sets and 15 mins of HIIT after training 4 days a week I have her doing 12-15 reps and 4 sets
Full body A
Full body B
Off
Full body A
Full body B
Off
Off
She is 5'2" 178lb right now so I know with proper diet and exercise she will drop weight fast specially with it being baby weight....how does this set up look any good? (I'd love some advice from Rosie :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Too long a weight session and not enough cardio.

If you insist on full body than do:

Monday - Full body A - cardio
Tuesday - OFF - cardio optional
Wednesday - Full body B - cardio
Thursday - OFF - cardio optional
Friday - Full body A - cardio
OFF - cardio optional
OFF - cardio optional
Monday - Full Body B - cardio
Tuesday - OFF - cardio optional
repeat....

Reduce her resistance training to 30 mins and increase her cardio to 30 to 45 mins. Unless she is looking to train and be built like a bodybuilder than don't have her train like one...IMHO. She can easily loose the fat and the key is the cardio. There is nothing wrong wuth her gaining some muscle but she has a lot of fat to loose at that height and weight. She'll do just fine if she sticks with something very simple that allows her to easily have success.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
She wants to lose weight from having a baby last year so I have her eating 1600 cals and doing an hour of weight training with 1 min between sets and 15 mins of HIIT after training 4 days a week I have her doing 12-15 reps and 4 sets
Full body A
Full body B
Off
Full body A
Full body B
Off
Off
She is 5'2" 178lb right now so I know with proper diet and exercise she will drop weight fast specially with it being baby weight....how does this set up look any good? (I'd love some advice from Rosie :)
First, have her focus on FAT loss and NOT "weight" loss, since scale weight is IRrelevant - it is BODY COMPOSITION that is important!

I agree with David - an hour of resistance training is a little much; 30-45 minutes is plenty (I rarely spend more than this lifting weights). So is doing HIIT post-weights, IMO - if you're going to have her do HIIT, do it on days she is NOT lifting. If she's a beginner to resistance training, then 12-15 reps is fine to start out with, but she could even do 10-12, or 8-12 reps depending on the exercise - if she wants fat loss, then lifting high reps and light weight is not the best way to do it, IMO. Also, if she IS a beginner (or even if she's just starting training again after a break), then doing Full-Body two days in a row is not ideal and not something I would recommend; she should be having a day between such sessions for adequate recovery.

You're better off doing something like:

Monday - Full-Body
Tuesday - HIIT
Wednesday - Full-Body
Thursday - HIIT
Friday - Full-Body
Saturday - HIIT
Sunday - Day OFF

Yes, with the right nutrition plan and training programme individualized specifically for her, she will get results. However, as far as nutrition, you don't want to starve her - 1,600 calories is extremely low; make sure she is eating ENOUGH!

I highly recommend that you take the time to read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive information on nutrition, supplementation (only the basic staples required!), and training (inclusive of a sample programme for beginners and advanced trainees) for effective and successful fat loss. For more articles on training for fat loss, see here.

If you want to ensure that she makes the best progress and gets the best results possible, and are not sure on how to go about doing it yourself after reading through everything, then I recommend having a professional trainer design and create your girlfriend a nutrition plan (this is going to be the key in her success) and training programme (still very important re fat loss) specific for HER.

~Rosie~

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Listen to Rosie, so sayeth the beast :D

jameshill003

Awards
Hi,
She needs to start a balance diet and exercise which will help her to reduce the weight.

dla1123

Awards
Hey guys! I'm in the same boat. I just had a baby 5 months ago and still have weight to lose. I'm 5'2 and 136lbs. What I've found to work the best for me is eating healthy of course, I'm at about 1380 calories and I do CrossFit. Which combines weight lifting and cardio. It has been working decent besides the fact I've been slacking. I agree with everyone else though: it's about losing fat not weight!

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Little update...she's still counting cals and does Zumba 3 days a week and a morning HIIT based boot camp at the YMCA 2 days a week and is now as of this morning 162lbs so 16lbs she lost so far