How much is too much? Need advice.

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.17%

How much is too much? Need advice.

I have a trainer I've been using for a year and a half. I have been "working out" for a year and really training for the last 6 months. I lost 95 lbs in the first 13 mos and then it was time to get serious. I am 50 and due to all the weight loss, there is flab so I figured let's fill it in and it's working. Other people on various sites have commented on my trainer and that I need to lose him but honestly, his methods have worked. Now however, I am just feeling beat up after I train (in a good way, sort of). We have been doing 10 sets of everything for about 3 months when I insisted on going to splits. Prior to that I trained same body parts every other day and almost no legs. I added the legs on my own. So I do back and tri's 2 x week, chest and bi's 2 xs a week and legs/delts 2 x''s week with one day off. No cardio on leg days, but I do abs on leg days and one other day. He said if I was going to do splits I needed 10 sets. I do anywhere from 6-15 reps, depending on weight. If I get to 15, then I increase the weight. Legs I may go to 20 reps only because I do have knee issues, lower back issues and the tight hip flexors so I am reticent to get too heavy too soon. Not entering any contests.
    I DO use the Smith machine for squats because my form just sucks. No matter how I have worked on it, I have really tight hip flexors and I can go lower with the SM than I can solo. I also do leg press, seated and lying leg curl (not same day) leg extensions, DB step ups, just started stiff leg dead lifts. I mix them up, don't do all each time but at least 5 of them (always leg press and squats). Everything else is mostly DBs and BBs although we were using a lot of cables for about 2 months. There has been definite growth. Biceps are bigger and well defined, delts look amazing with nice striations and definition, chest and back. Glutes are starting to respond. Legs just have a lot of flab so while I 'feel" hard quads and hams, don't see them yet.
    I am able to do the ten sets but geez, I am in the gym forever and I have to work out after work so some days I am just plain tired and my workouts suffer. He does ten sets and says his training is 2-3 hours per shot.
    I look at other's training logs on many sites and haven't seen anyone doing 10 sets.
    I have upped my calories to about 1600-1700 a day (honestly, it's hard to eat more than that unless it's junk), have two higher days including an official "cheat day," try to time my carbs accordingly, especially on leg day, have protein shake pre and post w/o, use a pre w/o supp, take BCAAs, was using IGF-2 by Appnut and just cycled off and am using creatine now.
    Thoughts and suggestions, please.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.92%

Quote Originally Posted by msrubi49 View Post
    I have a trainer I've been using for a year and a half. I have been "working out" for a year and really training for the last 6 months. I lost 95 lbs in the first 13 mos and then it was time to get serious. I am 50 and due to all the weight loss, there is flab so I figured let's fill it in and it's working. Other people on various sites have commented on my trainer and that I need to lose him but honestly, his methods have worked. Now however, I am just feeling beat up after I train (in a good way, sort of). We have been doing 10 sets of everything for about 3 months when I insisted on going to splits. Prior to that I trained same body parts every other day and almost no legs. I added the legs on my own. So I do back and tri's 2 x week, chest and bi's 2 xs a week and legs/delts 2 x''s week with one day off. No cardio on leg days, but I do abs on leg days and one other day. He said if I was going to do splits I needed 10 sets. I do anywhere from 6-15 reps, depending on weight. If I get to 15, then I increase the weight. Legs I may go to 20 reps only because I do have knee issues, lower back issues and the tight hip flexors so I am reticent to get too heavy too soon. Not entering any contests.
    I DO use the Smith machine for squats because my form just sucks. No matter how I have worked on it, I have really tight hip flexors and I can go lower with the SM than I can solo. I also do leg press, seated and lying leg curl (not same day) leg extensions, DB step ups, just started stiff leg dead lifts. I mix them up, don't do all each time but at least 5 of them (always leg press and squats). Everything else is mostly DBs and BBs although we were using a lot of cables for about 2 months. There has been definite growth. Biceps are bigger and well defined, delts look amazing with nice striations and definition, chest and back. Glutes are starting to respond. Legs just have a lot of flab so while I 'feel" hard quads and hams, don't see them yet.
    I am able to do the ten sets but geez, I am in the gym forever and I have to work out after work so some days I am just plain tired and my workouts suffer. He does ten sets and says his training is 2-3 hours per shot.
    I look at other's training logs on many sites and haven't seen anyone doing 10 sets.
    I have upped my calories to about 1600-1700 a day (honestly, it's hard to eat more than that unless it's junk), have two higher days including an official "cheat day," try to time my carbs accordingly, especially on leg day, have protein shake pre and post w/o, use a pre w/o supp, take BCAAs, was using IGF-2 by Appnut and just cycled off and am using creatine now.
    Thoughts and suggestions, please.
    First, congrats on progress -- that's been excellent.

Next, PTs even just okay PTs are good for newbies for structure, motivation, and an outside way to assess progress. Yet, IMHO, they are meant to be outgrown. Your own feelings and observations should tell you when you are ready to take the helm. Your own knowledge both external an of your BODY FEELINGS should take president after you mature as a knowledgeable workout artist.

Sounds like your PT has watched too many episodes of Biggest Loser with his long, long workouts.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Trenadrol/Hdrol/Epi (ADVICE ADVICE ADVICE)
    By TrapMonster in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 02:14 AM
  3. Mass stack advice for hair advice
    By Cupcakemafia in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 03:25 AM
  4. i need some advice, alots of advice
    By GENO0125 in forum Pics
    Replies: 10