Should Females focus on...

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Training different body parts (Tris and Bis, etc) during weight lifting days, or just do all over body works outs. I have tried both, and I have heard both are good. Which way is really the best? I'm think total body If i'm trying to tone and get lean all over. What are your thoughts?

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt go total body workouts all wk long. or if you have some workout experience. I would do upper body/lower body or legs/chest/back type splits. legs + 35min cardio, chest/shoulders 35 min cardio, back & 35min cardio.

a 3 or 4 day split would be nice. Than maybe 1 day of just cardio.

what has worked for you in the past?? What do you personally like to do?? you need to think about stuff like this. If you love a treadmill you will use it wayy more than the bike, stepper, elliptical, etc etc....in the end this is something to think about. What wont burn you out??

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Ok, I will look up some work outs incorporting what you suggested. I just wasn't sure which one was more beneficial or if it didn't matter. I/m fairly new to fitness and working out. I have normally used cardio dvds and done minor weight lifting. Not really knowing what I was doing and just improvising. I don't have a gym anymore so I'm limited at home. But I do have a smith machine, some dumb bells, stepper, ab ball, resistance bands and a jump rope. So i'm trying to figure out what kind of workout plan that works and that I can do from home. Thanks for the tips!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Training different body parts (Tris and Bis, etc) during weight lifting days, or just do all over body works outs. I have tried both, and I have heard both are good. Which way is really the best? I'm think total body If i'm trying to tone and get lean all over. What are your thoughts?
There is NO "best" way. The "best" way to train for YOU is going to be different than the "best" way for another! You need to experiment with different training methods and regimes to find what works best for YOU!

As I mentioned in another thread before this, there is NO such thing as "toned". "Toned" is either a) losing bodyfat, b) gaining muscle mass, or c) recomping (i.e. losing bodyfat whilst gaining muscle - usually only done by very experienced trainees who know how to manipulate everything perfectly for them, especially re nutrition). What you want is FAT LOSS.

As far as what works "best" for fat loss, you have to find what works for YOU. NUTRITION is the primary factor that determines the success (or lack of it) re fat loss for the majority. Then training. There is no "one size fits all" approach - for example, some people diet ridiculously, whilst others like me don't diet but train very hard and intense. Experiment to find out what your body responds best to is the best way to do it - you can start off with a "base" nutrition plan and training programme, but if you do, I recommend adjusting it weekly based on your results from that week, so that you get and continue making progress.

Your "diet" should be a LIFESTYLE DIET and it should be SPECIFIC TO YOU, no matter how different or unconventional it is to everyone else. As you get older and more experienced re training, etc. as well, your body will change, so what works re nutrition will change as well (for example, I have always been lactose intolerant, but now I can barely handle ANY dairy; until recently, I was fine with whey, but can no longer use protein powder, etc.), and it is a never-ending experimental process on making progress and achieving the results you want to.

When it comes to training for fat loss, ANYthing is going to work, since for 99% of individuals, whether or not they are successful with their fat loss is dependent on their NUTRITION. That said, training hard and heavy is the best way to train re fat loss, IMO (and definitely works the best from personal experience - which is what I always do anyways, regardless, and I stay pretty lean all the time).

Whether you are a beginner or experienced trainee would also depend on the type of training programme recommended. Full-Body sessions are great for beginners (and even experienced trainees - I do at least one a week when training), but if you're more seasoned with training, then setting up a programme that is most beneficial for your needs and effective for your goals is the best thing to do.

Re fat loss, I recommend reviewing The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information on training, nutrition (and supplementation - only the basics required!), for effective and successful fat loss. Check out more articles on training for fat loss I've written to see what exercises to include in your training programme.

If you're still not sure what to do after going through all that and don't want to do everything yourself, then save yourself the time and get yourself a trainer who knows what they're doing, who can and will set you up on a training programme (and nutrition plan - since it's the most important factor in your fat loss - if you want that as well) that is tailored specifically to meet YOUR goals AND needs.

~Rosie~

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Wow thanks for posting so much, clearly you know your stuff ;) Trust me I wish I could afford a trainer, but I can't. I'm a teacher and have car payments, house payments and 2 degree payments. So extra spending money for me. So I'm basically just looking for ideas and tips from people on how I can achieve results on my own. So far, I've gotten a lot of good advice and help on here. I know I need to lose weight before I can lean myself out. I just want to do it the healthy way and make some serious life changes. Make it a fitlife from here on out! I will check out your webage and follow your advice. Thank you!!!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow thanks for posting so much, clearly you know your stuff ;) Trust me I wish I could afford a trainer, but I can't. I'm a teacher and have car payments, house payments and 2 degree payments. So extra spending money for me. So I'm basically just looking for ideas and tips from people on how I can achieve results on my own. So far, I've gotten a lot of good advice and help on here. I know I need to lose weight before I can lean myself out. I just want to do it the healthy way and make some serious life changes. Make it a fitlife from here on out! I will check out your webage and follow your advice. Thank you!!!
No worries :)

As I also said in that other thread: DON'T focus on SCALE WEIGHT - it's IRrelevant; BODY COMPOSITION is what is important! If you lean out, then you WILL lose scale weight (from bodyfat, food, water, etc.), but do NOT put any emphasis on that!

Doing it the healthy way is best. No ridiculous starvation, low calorie, low or elimination carbohydrate diets. Your diet SHOULD be a LIFESTYLE nutrition plan that you follow and manipulate depending on your goals and needs at the time. Don't rush into it and feel like you have to make every change at once - ease into it, a few changes here and there every week, until they become a habit. That way you're more likely to stick to it, but it's also easier to create lifestyle habits. Remember, fitness is a lifestyle, not a quick fix!

~Rosie~

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Rosie, thanks! I don't even have a scale to check. I guess on my weight lol. I know i'm not gonna be my hs weight. I just want to be able to play sports like I used to all the time. Too out of shape to do so. Plus i'm training for 5 races this year as that is part of my 2012 goals. Any way, I'm not worried about the scale, by I also don't want to build muscle on top of fat, don't want that "skinny fat" look!!
Look for my progress, i'll be posting it up soon!

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
by getting in to running shape for those 5 races you ll burn lots of fat off your body. whether a bike or running you will need to push yourself hard, and for long periods of time. Even if you are older and your metabolism has slowed down, fat will still melt off.

Roise has mentioned eating right quite a bit, you will soon see how imporaant it is. when you train hard you need solid cals to fuel it. in no time eating healthy food will become a need more than a want or will.

this fourm is gear toward supplements, pro hormones and other performance enhancing products. but try to learn all you can

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Women don't necessarily need to train all that differently from men. It's true that there are a few things specific to the female body (generally speaking), like they handle repping weight at higher intensities better than men, and they may have more leverage for lower body movements than a man with the same leg strength/size due to their generally wider hips, and that's all fine and dandy, but ... again, what training works best will come down to how your body is, specifically.

Rosie pretty much said what there is to say on the matter, so I would follow her advice. You can play around with full body workouts 3x a week, for instance, then maybe move to a different split for a month or two (bodypart splits, upper/lower splits, push/pull, whatever), and see which one you like the best.

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Gym rat...Yea I've heard training for races really does burn a lot of fat. So I'm excited to get that started! As far as pushing myself hard, I am starting too! I looked into interval training with sprints for the running, it's gonna kick my booty, but I can't wait! I'm working on the nutrition, it's the hardest for me because i love junk lol. Thanks!

Toro..Yea that all sounds great! I'm def wanting to keep my body guessing, because that too will burn more calories! Thanks for the tips!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rosie, thanks! I don't even have a scale to check. I guess on my weight lol. I know i'm not gonna be my hs weight. I just want to be able to play sports like I used to all the time. Too out of shape to do so. Plus i'm training for 5 races this year as that is part of my 2012 goals. Any way, I'm not worried about the scale, by I also don't want to build muscle on top of fat, don't want that "skinny fat" look!!
Look for my progress, i'll be posting it up soon!
No worries :)

If you're training for five races, then you should get fit pretty fast. That said, if you're training for racing specifically, then your training programme needs to be set up for that. Believe me, whether you do well or not will depend on your training preparation for them (if you're doing them for more than "fun", then this is where a professional trainer or coach would be the most beneficial for you - unless of course, you knwo what you're doing re training for this and can set up your own training programme for them), so make sure that your training programme is specialized for what you are racing for, periodized for different performance phases, so that when it comes to race, your body is primed for them. Have one race as the "main" race you are aiming to do the best in and set out your training calendar and programme from that date - ~16 weeks is optimal, and if you're not "in shape", then the best period of time to start you training for it from, and use the rest as "stepping stones" or "practice" races for that race (still trying to do the best you can in them, but inserting them into your training more as "simulation" races for the "big one", if you know what I mean).

Note that gaining muscle mass is NOT going to give you a "skinny fat" look - "skinny fat" is a term referred to an individual who is thin, but has little muscle mass and a higher body composition.

~Rosie~

FBB_Suzanne

FBB_Suzanne

Awards
I started lifting as a way to lose weight and went straight to body part splits and heavy as I could lift. Went form a fat 180 at 5' to a lean and fit 120. After that i started competing and ate to increase muscle but I was lifting super heavy even when i was tiny. You aren't going to get big unless you eat to get big

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
I started lifting as a way to lose weight and went straight to body part splits and heavy as I could lift. Went form a fat 180 at 5' to a lean and fit 120. After that i started competing and ate to increase muscle but I was lifting super heavy even when i was tiny. You aren't going to get big unless you eat to get big
Thanks for the tips! I am incorporating weights this week to my workouts! I'm pumped :) Congrats on your success!

FBB_Suzanne

FBB_Suzanne

Awards
Thanks for the tips! I am incorporating weights this week to my workouts! I'm pumped :) Congrats on your success!
Thank you!

Good luck and push hard!