But and upper leg fat

TMCCLUNG

TMCCLUNG

Awards
I am posting this for my wife. I'll start by saying she is a stud. At first I motivated her. Growing up in a small town I helped motivate most people around me including my wife. Now she motivates me. She works out almost every morning and rides bicycles in the afternoons. She even rides with the fast paced mens group on the weekends and can hold her own on the flats and kick a$$ on the hills. The one little problem area for fat loss is her butt and upper leg areas. Her body fat on her torso is very low (six pack abs and no boobs). As a cyclist you would think the leg and butt fat would be the first to go. Any suggestions?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am posting this for my wife. I'll start by saying she is a stud. At first I motivated her. Growing up in a small town I helped motivate most people around me including my wife. Now she motivates me. She works out almost every morning and rides bicycles in the afternoons. She even rides with the fast paced mens group on the weekends and can hold her own on the flats and kick a$$ on the hills. The one little problem area for fat loss is her butt and upper leg areas. Her body fat on her torso is very low (six pack abs and no boobs). As a cyclist you would think the leg and butt fat would be the first to go. Any suggestions?
Chances are those areas are just the LAST places on her body that she loses bodyfat - if this is the case, then she just has to get leaner. Or, if she gets lean lean and those areas remain unaffected, it could be that what you (and she) think is fat is actually muscle mass. Having been a former competitive elite cyclist myself, I can tell you that it's more than highly likely the latter - especially since cycling builds up the glutes and legs better than being in the gym, IMO.

~Rosie~

TMCCLUNG

TMCCLUNG

Awards
Thank you much Rosie. I'm trying to convince her not to worry about it and just ride for fun and try and kick a$$ on the group rides but I think she is pretty focused on losing weight. She is at 113lbs +/-2lbs and 5'01". We have a pretty nice body fat monitor (tanita bc558) and she watches it like a hawk. I would like to hide it during the summer but we use it to watch hydration levels also. I have found that trying to lose weight by dieting and trying gain power on the bike is not good in the summer when we are riding with others. I tried fat burning gels back in 2001-2002 like cutting gel with no luck. Have they improved since then?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try switching to distance running, it's a great lower body mass annihilater. As for creams, eviscerate has gotten some good reviews.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you much Rosie. I'm trying to convince her not to worry about it and just ride for fun and try and kick a$$ on the group rides but I think she is pretty focused on losing weight. She is at 113lbs +/-2lbs and 5'01". We have a pretty nice body fat monitor (tanita bc558) and she watches it like a hawk. I would like to hide it during the summer but we use it to watch hydration levels also. I have found that trying to lose weight by dieting and trying gain power on the bike is not good in the summer when we are riding with others. I tried fat burning gels back in 2001-2002 like cutting gel with no luck. Have they improved since then?
No worries :)

If she's not a competitive cyclist, then anything she does technically IS for "fun", fitness orientated or not.

She should STOP focusing on weight, especially since BODY COMPOSITION is the important factor, and if she has muscle, then she might be heavier than she wants to be, since muscle weighs more than fat, even if the same amount of muscle mass looks so much better than the equivalent mass in bodyfat! Tanita scales are not an accurate indicator of body composition - especially since they can be affected by hydration, time of measurement, body temperature, etc. - and can be out by up to 10% bodyfat; the best that they can be used for is to see whether progress is up or down re body composition, and even then, take it with a grain of salt - she's better off going by the mirror and how her clothes feel than anything.

If you want to increase power for cycling, then you are NOT going to get it if you're dieting - in fact, you're likely to do the opposite, especially if she (and you) diet like a "typical person "dieting".

I don't know about cutting gels - I assume it is a topical. Some topicals can aid in fat loss, yes, but usually in conjunction with the appropriate nutrition and training.

I suggest that you get your wife to focus on her priorities - if it is fat loss, then do that, but if she wants to improve cycling performance (if she's not a competitive cyclist, then her performance is not that important), being stupid with diet and excessive training is not going to do it. All the best in whatever she decides to do, and whatever that is, I recommend that she does it the right way.

~Rosie~

amandabaileys

amandabaileys

Awards
Wow! i love the photos! :D

TMCCLUNG

TMCCLUNG

Awards
Thanks. I've got tons of pics of her and my riding partner riding together. They sometimes turn out pretty nice for a simple 2 mega pixel camera phone. At some point I would like to get a GoPro hd video camera for my bike.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
Estrogen dominance

Estrogen dominance is a term coined by hormones expert Dr. John R. Lee, and it describes a condition where a woman has more estrogen than progesterone. This is what usually leads to holding fat on the butt and upper legs. Progesterone creams help this a lot. Even men can get this as you can sometimes see the guys holding fat in those places. Try the cream, it's the most logical attempt to solve problem as no extra dieting is necessary.

I didn't realize how old this thread is now. ha!

TMCCLUNG

TMCCLUNG

Awards
Thanks. I'm still watching this. I'll mention it to her. This is the time of year for her to drop weight if needed. We aren't riding as much so we don't have to worry about power dropping on the bikes. This is a picture we used to win some free Athletix product. She is pretty solid but she still seems to be concerned about her butt. Don't know why but maybe it's like how guys are with abs. Oh well.
Renae Athletix.JPG

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. I'm still watching this. I'll mention it to her. This is the time of year for her to drop weight if needed. We aren't riding as much so we don't have to worry about power dropping on the bikes. This is a picture we used to win some free Athletix product. She is pretty solid but she still seems to be concerned about her butt. Don't know why but maybe it's like how guys are with abs. Oh well
She doesn't look like she has too much to lose from this front pose. Yes, it may just be her obsession with those body parts, but I still think the next logical step would be the progesterone cream. The fat levels on the rest of her body (which are excellent) look fairly close to her upper legs. The cream has other positive effects on hormone balance, so it may be worth a try.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
Estrogen dominance

Estrogen dominance is a term coined by hormones expert Dr. John R. Lee, and it describes a condition where a woman has more estrogen than progesterone. This is what usually leads to holding fat on the butt and upper legs. Progesterone creams help this a lot. Even men can get this as you can sometimes see the guys holding fat in those places. Try the cream, it's the most logical attempt to solve problem as no extra dieting is necessary.

I didn't realize how old this thread is now. ha!
x2x

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
butt/legs/thighs are the place my GF stores fat, it drives her insane. But she has C's up top so the big rear is balanced. Did i say "big"....i meant slightly above normal size....

I bet this is at least 50% mental, it is with mine....

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
lunges lunges and more lunges. Check this video out of what I mean.

[video=youtube;pNqp1B4JI1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqp1B4JI1c[/video]