Hello! New here.

rebekah.alisa

Awards
My name is Rebekah. I'm 23, I have been married for almost 4 years and have a 2 year old little boy.

I currently weigh about 133 give or take a pound or two. I am 5'6 and 1/8.so pretty much 5'7....anywho. I just joined a gym and my bf % is 20.6 (I think). I want to loose about 10 lbs. I started eatting healthier. i have been working out since the day after fathers day and I have been going to the gym 4-5 times a week and going for about an hour to hour and fifteen mins. I have been making protien shakes with whey and taking supplements my husband gives me. He has lost 15 pounds since we started working out. I have shed Nothing but sweat. What am i doing wrong??!?! i want to build muscle on my thighs, calves,back, abs, and biceps. But i dont even know where to start. I have never been to a gym before this and i cant afford a personal trainer. Any help would be awesome!! thanks!

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try to write down what you are eating so you know if you are eating either enough or not enough calories for your goal. You can use something like fit day to log your meals. Then take it from there.

rebekah.alisa

Awards
how do i find out how many calories i need? I an new to all this work out stuff.

amandabaileys

amandabaileys

Awards
This is the manual way to calculate calories. Still effective, but not very efficient. A more efficient way to calculate calories for your weight loss diet is to use a calorie calculator. A calorie calculator already has all the information loaded in it, so you don't need to hunt high and low for the information. All you need to do is to punch in the type of food, and the calculator will be able to compute for you the total calories for a meal.

You can easily locate calorie calculators online.

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
I'd say the best place to start is right here in this sub forum "Female Fitness" there are quite a few threads started asking similar questions where you can really learn a ton.
Read, read, read
then
Apply, apply, apply lol
seriously

You've got a great start in just taking the initiative to be a part of the forums which shows the desire to learn and be better. The info is out there.
Take a moment and write down everything you do and take a good detailed look at it and compare with the info you find out there. If you like you can even post it to get some more detailed input.
Diet
Training
Stats
Supps

But I can't stress enough the need to read and search, seek out and find :)
Wish you the best of luck on your goals.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glad to see another woman joining the board. You've got a great subforum with some very knowledgeable people to seek advice from.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My name is Rebekah. I'm 23, I have been married for almost 4 years and have a 2 year old little boy.

I currently weigh about 133 give or take a pound or two. I am 5'6 and 1/8.so pretty much 5'7....anywho. I just joined a gym and my bf % is 20.6 (I think). I want to loose about 10 lbs. I started eatting healthier. i have been working out since the day after fathers day and I have been going to the gym 4-5 times a week and going for about an hour to hour and fifteen mins. I have been making protien shakes with whey and taking supplements my husband gives me. He has lost 15 pounds since we started working out. I have shed Nothing but sweat. What am i doing wrong??!?! i want to build muscle on my thighs, calves,back, abs, and biceps. But i dont even know where to start. I have never been to a gym before this and i cant afford a personal trainer. Any help would be awesome!! thanks!
First, congratulations on getting started with training :)

You want to lose "about 10 lbs", but you also want to "build muscle on my thighs, calves, back, abs, and biceps". Be aware that if you gained muscle mass, you might not change your SCALE WEIGHT at all, or little. Scale weight should NOT be your focus, but BODY COMPOSITION, and I recommend working on lowering your body composition instead.

Although as a newbie to training, you will likely unintentionally have a small recomp when starting, but that will not last long, and is only because you have started training. Therefore, the first thing I recommend you do is DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT TO DO - the most important goal: fat loss or muscle gain, and focus on that.

Next, if you cannot afford a trainer, then I highly recommend that you look around and do a personal search, research and read the appropriate material for your goal.

If you want fat loss, read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive information on nutrition, supplementation (only the basics needed!), and training for effective and successful fat loss. It also includes a samples training programme for a beginner.

If you want gains, then you need to eat enough for them, and no supplement is going to help you gain muscle if you're not eating for it, period! Next to nutrition for mass is training: You have to be training correctly for mass - check out the article How To Maximize Mass Through Weights And Adaptation for an idea of how to train correctly for mass. And although The Essential 8 is in the fat loss section, the same exercises that are best for fat loss are also the best for gaining muscle! You also need to get adequate recovery, since it's in your RECOVERY that you GROW (if you are eating enough).

No matter what your goal is, you do NOT need to use supplements, especially if you are using anything like "fat burners". If you're going to use supplements, stick to the BASIC staples of creatine and a multivitamin - you can get all your good fats, protein, and BCAAs from your food at your body mass.

Don't compare yourself to your husband - you and he are different, likely with different goals, and therefore you are NOT going to get the same results, even doing the same things! You need to compare yourself to yourself, and find out what work specifically for YOU! Even if you start with a generic baseline training programme and nutrition plan, ADJUST it weekly based on your results for that week, individualizing it to you, so that you get the optimal progress and most effective results for you.

All the best in achieving your fitness goals!

~Rosie~