Critique Please

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Critique Please

My wife has finally started to hear what I have been trying to explain to her for what seems like forever and has begun weight training coupled with healthy eating and some cardio to try to get to her target weight. Over the last few months she has dropped 20lbs, but has now started to hit a wall. I switched up her diet and also changed her weight routine from normal 10x, 6x 2x type routine to sub-sets. Below is her normal daily diet and exercise routine....Does anyone have any additional thoughts or inputs to her current plan?

instead of waisting everyones time with an extensive daily list of food and weights below is an example of a random day.

breakfast Shake---1/2cup oatmeal, 1cup Almond milk, 1cup eggwhites, 1cup blue berries
    snack--hand full almonds
    lunch--pbj, and yogurt
    dinner--piece of salmon, some asparagus

Overall she is usually around 1500 cal

workouts 6laps = 1mi
    1mile warm-up 3laps at 8min mile, 2laps at 7min mile, last lap sprint

weights
    2min rest between 1st two sets, 1min rest between last two

squat 135x10 135x10 120 till fail 110 till fail
    legpress 140x10 140x10 90 till fail 90 till fail
    deadlifts " " " "
    the last exercise I let her choose anything she wants to do with the same heavy, heavy, fail, fail routine

1mile more cardio same as before

Thank you for the help

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Well, the thing that sticks out the most to me is it doesn't look like there's much protein in her diet and that would certainly help. Possibly more calories, as well, with that much activity. I'd also separate the cardio from the weight-training instead of the way it's set up, there.

I'd break it into separate workouts or at the very least do it all after the weight-training aside from some minimal warming up, just to get loose and only if she needs it.

Just my .02
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

3. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bearrock View Post
    My wife has finally started to hear what I have been trying to explain to her for what seems like forever and has begun weight training coupled with healthy eating and some cardio to try to get to her target weight. Over the last few months she has dropped 20lbs, but has now started to hit a wall. I switched up her diet and also changed her weight routine from normal 10x, 6x 2x type routine to sub-sets. Below is her normal daily diet and exercise routine....Does anyone have any additional thoughts or inputs to her current plan?

instead of waisting everyones time with an extensive daily list of food and weights below is an example of a random day.

breakfast Shake---1/2cup oatmeal, 1cup Almond milk, 1cup eggwhites, 1cup blue berries
    snack--hand full almonds
    lunch--pbj, and yogurt
    dinner--piece of salmon, some asparagus

Overall she is usually around 1500 cal

workouts 6laps = 1mi
    1mile warm-up 3laps at 8min mile, 2laps at 7min mile, last lap sprint

weights
    2min rest between 1st two sets, 1min rest between last two

squat 135x10 135x10 120 till fail 110 till fail
    legpress 140x10 140x10 90 till fail 90 till fail
    deadlifts " " " "
    the last exercise I let her choose anything she wants to do with the same heavy, heavy, fail, fail routine

1mile more cardio same as before

Thank you for the help
    Reiterating MidwestBeast - complete lack of calories and little in her nutrition. If she doesn't eat enough she won't make progress. Ensure she knows what her current Maintenance calories are, and for fat loss, consuming up to ~500 calories less than that most days (start out at ~200 calories less and go from there) - not all, because always being below Maintenance is not the best, IMO. There is an Estimating Energy Expenditure calculation here that she can use to estimate her Maintenance - as with anything though, once she has a baseline to go from, adjust her nutrition on a weekly basis to ensure constant progress.

As far as training, whilst it's good that she's doing resistance training, she's lacking a lot if all she's doing is Legs. Recovery time could also be decreased down to a minute between all sets.

I highly recommend that you and she read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss and follow the principles for both nutrition and training in it. The article contains comprehensive advice and information on nutrition, supplementation (she only needs the basics - NOTHING else!), and training (includes a sample resistance training programme for a beginner) for effective and successful fat loss.

Also, get her to STOP concentrating on scale weight since it is IRrelevant and have her focus on BODY COMPOSITION.

If she doesn't already have a trainer, then I recommend that she gets one who can and will individualize her nutrition and training specific for her for her goals and needs.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Thank you both for the replies.

Rosie; Above was just a sample day, we alternate muscle groups and take 2-3 days off per week depending on time constraints.

I will plug her information into the calculator later today, but I had her around 1500 calories a day because she works from a home office so there is minimal calorie per day expenditure to say the least. I guessed that AT BEST she was at 2000 cal a day - 500 gets her to the 1500 she is at now.

Midwest Beast; I had coupled the running a training together because she enjoys the running (and if she does not run I will not get my workout in ) I went with the notion that since she was not trying to gain "size" the worst that the running would do is cut her short a couple reps.....not a big deal as far as calories burned because of the running...????...

What do you guys think?

5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Midwest Beast; I had coupled the running a training together because she enjoys the running (and if she does not run I will not get my workout in ) I went with the notion that since she was not trying to gain "size" the worst that the running would do is cut her short a couple reps.....not a big deal as far as calories burned because of the running...????...
    Perfectly understandable, man. Whatever it takes to get the workout in and if that's what she enjoys, then so be it I was just looking at the most optimal settings. Regardless of that, I think you're on the right track now.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

6. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Thank you both for the replies.

Rosie; Above was just a sample day, we alternate muscle groups and take 2-3 days off per week depending on time constraints.

I will plug her information into the calculator later today, but I had her around 1500 calories a day because she works from a home office so there is minimal calorie per day expenditure to say the least. I guessed that AT BEST she was at 2000 cal a day - 500 gets her to the 1500 she is at now.

What do you guys think?
    No worries

I see.

It is better to know than to just guess. If you want results, you have to have something to start with, so that you know how far you have to go, etc.

She's NOT going to gain size if she's not eating or training for it, period, especially if her goal and everything is targeted towards fat loss!

As I said before, if she doesn't already have a trainer, then I recommend that she gets one who can and will individualize her nutrition and training specific for her for her goals and needs. if she really wants to do it right and get the most optimal results, then this is her best option, IMO, if you are not a trainer who can do this for her.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Answers

agreed with Rosie, protein has a thermogenic like effect in the body, as the body has to expel more energy to digest it, it also supports her muscle mass, which in turn greatly aids in fat burning

also anaerobic(weights) activities burn more calories than aerobic activitys
    listen to rosie
    Test e/dbol/epi/winnie
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/164764-schwellington-has-been.html

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 08:41 AM
  2. Critique
    By TheeBC in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 06:10 AM
  3. Critique?
    By imprezzion in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 02:37 PM